Why not Bosch 4+ Platinum?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing Albert's other post on plugs, I thought I would make this a separate stream. I have heard nothing but good things from people running platinum four prong plugs. But lately I have heard a number of people saying they don't work with the cars electronics. Why is that? I had them installed in my car last week and at $12 a piece I don't feel like ripping them out unless they cause damage. Can someone explain why they shouldn't be used in detail?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many have tried them on various dodge dakota and ram truck lists.Some engines ran the same,some worse and some no difference.The biggest complaint is due to the open design increasing the spark advance by a very small amount.If an engine was prone to ping,detonation or knock the +4's pushed it over the edge. Bruce

Reaction score
I just posted a reply on the previous "spark plug" thread by Albert. To recap: Platinum plugs have more resistance than standard plugs and will cause the windings in your coil packs to overheat thus leading to ignition failure. Platinum plugs should only be used in systems designed for their use or dammage may result! Hope this helps. (JD)

STOUT 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Platinum plugs do not work as expected with multi discharge ignition systems ( utilizing reverse polarity).This was the case with my Buick Grand National. If my understanding is right, these plugs are designed to fire one direction ( ie. center out.) . I don't know if the Viper has this type of ignition or not. I use NGK V-power plugs with great results.

It's kinda interesting that right on the NGK website it basically says "do not use platinum plugs for high performance apps. They are for extended service, not high performance."

Jason

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by STOUT 1:

It's kinda interesting that right on the NGK website it basically says "do not use platinum plugs for high performance apps. They are for extended service, not high performance."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is their site address?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4