Why won't SRT tell us the status of the vert?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealers ordered too many cars with too many options. SRT flubbed the launch with poorly prepped cars that got tested and reviewed poorly, and that killed demand. That's how inventory swelled, public responded with concern, and it's going to take time and serious discounting to get the back log sold. Sales projections were thrown off by Motor Trend's bad reviews and SRT is still catching up with the stale inventory that resulted. This is a basic cause and effect that you are trying to blame on something else.
Bruce you can get away with things in a car ar 75-80 k that you can not get away with at 100-150k The price range the car now occupys that buyer wants it all HORSEPOWER,TECH FEATURES ,EXOTIC CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS DEALER SUPPORT DEALER SERVICE SUPPORT FIT and FINISH .Pedigree also plays a role=how many buyers buy a Ferrari because its a Ferrari

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08viperviolet;324176n8 said:
1badgts. You have your opinion don't buy a new viper. Stop bashing something you do not own or want to in the near future.[/QU I think you should do some research as. i have been spending money on these cars since 1994 and my restaurant sponcered the VCA NJ CHRISTMAS PARTY I also sponcered the VCA ZONE RACES A E-TOWN IN THE 90S (Guys like me buying these cars in 1994 ARE THE REASON YOU ARE ON THIS FORUM TODAY) I will buy a Gen 5 (LIKE I BOUGHT EVER OTHER GEN )when the time is right

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just never ceases to amaze me how so many of the previous Gen Viper guys are so out of touch with reality when it comes to what the Gen V offers new car buyers. It so often comes across like a bunch of guys who must just not be able to afford the car, or whatever, and want to feel better about not getting one by knocking the car and SRT. Listen, it's okay to not buy one...really. Post about how much you love your Gen, what you've done to it, etc. If you have no interest in buying a Gen V for whatever reason, just do everyone a favor and take it somewhere else. If you don't like Ralph's vision and direction then it's completely understandable that you don't support the brand any longer, and he must not expect you since he's been making his views very clear.

It's also clear that many previous Gen owners think the Gen V is spectacular, and are voting for the Gen V with their wallet. Cross shoppers are voting with their wallet. Guys that wanted more power are changing their mind and voting with their wallet. Guys waiting for a vert will vote with their wallet if and when the car arrives within their timeframe.

But this negativity is so typical of many previous owners from many brands. I remember going to a local Supra Club meeting shortly after buying my MkIV twin turbo. Nobody knew me or what I was driving, and it happened I was the only one with the new model. Much of the conversation expressed negative views about the new model by the previous Gen guys. Half way through they thought to introduce the new guy and learned I had the new Gen they had all been trashing. Room went pretty quiet, and I've never attended another meeting for the last 14 years. You basically have to give away any of the previous Gen Supras, and MKIV's are worth as much today as they were 14 years ago, and the good ones just keep going up in value.

Same with the new Gen Jaguar XKR in 2007, and then again when they upgraded all aspects of that Gen's performance in 2010. All blah, blah from previous Gen owners as the desirability of their cars evaporated to all but the bargain hunters. To those that think the Gen V SRT is over-priced and slow selling with dealer prices closer to $100k, I would point out that resales of previous Gens at a fraction of the price are selling even slower in at least the Toronto area. I could have bought 2 with extremely low mileage for less than what I paid for my TA. Why did I choose the Gen V over previous gens? Because I liked the finishing of the Gen V inside and out. And because I wanted a new, or quite new car. I like having a warranty initially to sort out any issue, or to sell it more easily if I decide to try something else. And because I wanted one of the best performing street/track day cars available at any price. At no time did I have any interest in buying a Ferrari F430 or Ford GT. Those cars require a completely different set of priorities than I had, and while they may be great collector cars, they would be completely impractical for the way I'll use my Gen V.

I think the Gen V is going to do just fine despite the negative views of many previous gen owners. The dark days of the launch and poor reviews are behind us, new reviews are very favorable, and new buyers are delighted with their cars. If you don't think the car is awesome then ask yourself why...and then get over it.
Obviously certain dealers didnt read this post Today on AUTOTRADER there is a NEW 2013 BLACK on BLACK GTS with a 134k ticker being advertised for 99999

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well glad that I should thank you for buying a viper for all these years. I'm on my 5 because I drive a viper everyday. When the time is right and you steal one from a dealer who has lost his shirt I will have been driving my gen v for a long time at that point.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce you can get away with things in a car ar 75-80 k that you can not get away with at 100-150k The price range the car now occupys that buyer wants it all HORSEPOWER,TECH FEATURES ,EXOTIC CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS DEALER SUPPORT DEALER SERVICE SUPPORT FIT and FINISH .Pedigree also plays a role=how many buyers buy a Ferrari because its a Ferrari

That's the wrong question to ask because for the most part you're talking about two different buyers that use them completely differently. While I like the look and sound of some Ferraris I would have no interest in purchasing one for the weekend and track day driving I will do with my TA. None of the European exotics are a good choice for my track day use, but there are a couple that would look great parked in my garage! When you do see them on track they're usually slow as the owners are seldom track rats, and are afraid of everything when driving. If I paid that much, had to service it so frequently, took so long for that servicing to be performed, and cost that much to service, I'd be afraid to use it as well. Best to just collect them like art, which is what many basically do with them.

If you want to compare it to something you'd be better to use the up-coming Corvette Z06. Lots here own both, not Ferraris so much. Both it and the SRT Viper will be among the fastest production track cars, both will have a street price in and around $100k for a brand new car, both have similar power, and hopefully the Vette will also have a high build quality. Now the Vette is a mass-produced car, and while it will have a broad range of tech like the $50k C7, but with better performance, it's still a mass produced car. Those who want great performance and a more rare and exclusive supercar with more exotic looks realize the Viper is very fairly priced. Those that want those qualities in a car they can actually drive more often then any of the European exotics will realize it's a great car for them independent of price. And if they compared the Viper price to those other exotics they'll see they get a pretty decent looking and performing car for a fraction of the price. No exotic name plate on it, but a car they can drive and enjoy relentlessly...which is why it just doesn't make sense to compare other exotic with the Viper, new or used, as if they are serious competitors with buyers in general.

Buyers that aren't looking for a new super car that they can drive and enjoy everyday can buy or keep whatever year of Viper they like best, or buy whatever other used exotic they like and can afford, and how it relates in price to a new Viper is pretty much irrelevant.

I'm going to excuse myself from this discussion now...carry on!

Bruce

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The EARLY Gen 3 sold then tanked The Gen 4 WAS TERRIBLE (The car stickered in the 90s BUT DEALERS COULD NOT GIVE THEM AWAY. Many only sold because of the 35 K off coupon).Now we are at 100-150 k Pull a Low mileage Ferrari 430 up and put it next to a Gen 5 and you tell me if both cars are the same price what the public will spend the money on
Please, facts. Look at the Gen3 sales #'s, they were very close for each year 2003-2006. Yes, Gen4 #'s are much smaller.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously certain dealers didnt read this post Today on AUTOTRADER there is a NEW 2013 BLACK on BLACK GTS with a 134k ticker being advertised for 99999

So, obviously price isn't the issue since you aren't stepping up to the plate to buy one that is a steal.

Same talk, same people not walking the walk.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yet, Chrysler got away with it in 1992 when the Viper was mid-90's inflation adjusted for a car with zipper up windows.

Same song and dance from the usual.

Just excuses.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never understood this type of threads ! :dunno:

Gen 1 to Gen 5 all good amazing viper's.

The Gen V startes at about 100k to fully optioned GTS.

I see it the perfect Gen since it's freely makes the customer spec his viper as he likes with a long list of options.

You paying 100k to compete and beat exotics far more expensive..plus the viper exclusivity....what more you need ????

The Viper imho needs new markets new countries new customers.

Lambo, ferrari, corvette..etc sold all over the world

And the Viper? To few countries with my knowledge and either over priced or no qualified viper teach to support the after sales services and warranty works.

For someone like me how owns multiple viper's I see the Gen V the perfect modern viper.

Last edited:

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this $35k coupon is on the way, they better hurry up with it before I buy a Vette. I made an offer on one Saturday and the sales mgr would not give anymore than a $1k discount and I walked. The salesman called me last night and I figured they were going to counter my offer, but he was just doing a follow up courtesy call and told me that another salesman sold the Vette after I left for MSRP. Go figure.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you are waiting for the convertible how many of you would be interested in a Targa?

Targa would be awesome. Few important issues, First (like the Corvette) the top would need to be stowable in the rear hatch area, Second Storage bag?, third would there be an option for an acrylic top? It would **** to be away from home and not be able to remove the top. It would return to the days of the RT/10 with the hard top and no where to store it. Ferrari stores the top behind the seats but with the interior configuration that would be impossible.

Reaction score
Targa would be awesome. Few important issues, First (like the Corvette) the top would need to be stowable in the rear hatch area, Second Storage bag?, third would there be an option for an acrylic top? It would **** to be away from home and not be able to remove the top. It would return to the days of the RT/10 with the hard top and no where to store it. Ferrari stores the top behind the seats but with the interior configuration that would be impossible.

That would for sure be a requirement if it ever happened.

I loved the Photo shop picture that was on here a while back.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you are waiting for the convertible how many of you would be interested in a Targa?

I've never had a car with a targa top, but I have had T-Tops.

It's not the same as a convertible.

Here's what I hate about them:

-With T-tops You still feel enclosed, but you also have sun beating down on our head.
-On a hot day, the tops are too hot to touch.
-They take much longer to remove and stow than a convertible. On my Gen III it takes only about 30 seconds to lower or raise the top.
-There's a high risk of scratching your car when you remove or replace them.
-When it rains, the water pours down on you leg when you open the door.
-When the top is stowed, it takes up the majority of your storage space.

I wouldn't consider a targa top a substitute for a true convertible.

~Jay

Reaction score
I've never had a car with a targa top, but I have had T-Tops.

It's not the same as a convertible.

Here's what I hate about them:

-With T-tops You still feel enclosed, but you also have sun beating down on our head.
-On a hot day, the tops are too hot to touch.
-They take much longer to remove and stow than a convertible. On my Gen III it takes only about 30 seconds to lower or raise the top.
-There's a high risk of scratching your car when you remove or replace them.
-When it rains, the water pours down on you leg when you open the door.
-When the top is stowed, it takes up the majority of your storage space.

I wouldn't consider a targa top a substitute for a true convertible.

~Jay

I understand Jay, this would not be a factory option though, just an option "for now" very specialized and surely only for a few customers.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Huge fan of the targa. I loved my RT/10 design. And it works for trackdays. As for storage, I had a Porsche Turbo 930 Slantnose Targa, it had a targa top option that folded up on itself, like an accordian, it easily stowed in the nose/trunk. So a hardtop for when you know you'll leave it on, an accordian top to stow in case you need when you're out *******.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this $35k coupon is on the way, they better hurry up with it before I buy a Vette. I made an offer on one Saturday and the sales mgr would not give anymore than a $1k discount and I walked. The salesman called me last night and I figured they were going to counter my offer, but he was just doing a follow up courtesy call and told me that another salesman sold the Vette after I left for MSRP. Go figure.
So if i get you one into the holdback (new GTS )you will buy it ASAP PLEASE DONE DEAL .PM me your phone number

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well glad that I should thank you for buying a viper for all these years. I'm on my 5 because I drive a viper everyday. When the time is right and you steal one from a dealer who has lost his shirt I will have been driving my gen v for a long time at that point.
And in reference i sold my GEN 2 (with a 50 k motor in it )to the then president of the VCA .The car was 10 years old at the time and i drove it 5 k miles a year

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet, Chrysler got away with it in 1992 when the Viper was mid-90's inflation adjusted for a car with zipper up windows.
ticker
Same song and dance from the usual.

Just excuses.
YOUR NEW TO BUYING VIPERS (excuse me 1 car )and have no idea about pricing on the early Gens Dealers were getting 10-12k over sticker on the GEN 1 and Gen 2 Your comparing a Gen 5 that being sold into the holdback with cars that stickered for 55-65 k and sold for 12 over. In 96 i bought n Gen 2 for low 60s and the dealer was offered 12k over sticker for my car by anotherv party You can not even begin to compare the sales desirability of the Gen 1 or 2 to the Gen 5 its a joke

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOUR NEW TO BUYING VIPERS (excuse me 1 car )and have no idea about pricing on the early Gens Dealers were getting 10-12k over sticker on the GEN 1 and Gen 2 Your comparing a Gen 5 that being sold into the holdback with cars that stickered for 55-65 k and sold for 12 over. In 96 i bought n Gen 2 for low 60s and the dealer was offered 12k over sticker for my car by anotherv party You can not even begin to compare the sales desirability of the Gen 1 or 2 to the Gen 5 its a joke

lol, same incoherent song and dance.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What are we debating on this topic?

A lot of use have been buying vipers since the 90s. I bought my gen2 from a dealer at about $7k discount. When the gen3 came out Dodge sent me an owners coupon for the launch that got me an early car with priority delivery and at invoice, that was before the cars were even available. vipers have always been discounted. Are there dealers who markup? Sure, there are ones marking up gen5, I've seen mustangs with $50k ADMs, do people pay them? Some, dumb ones, yes, but I don't get the debate. Vipers have always been had at a discount, even prior to a launch and ADMs have always been out there for the not so well informed buyer.

Meanwhile, where's the friggin vert? LoL

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A hard top convertible would be cool. I realize this is a "vert" thread and I don't want to seem like a troll, but how about creating a Gen V forum for Gen V owners ONLY? It could be viewed by all but only owners could post. It would be like a private spot within the existing Gen V forums where ideas could be exchanged about the newest Viper (owner feedback) without the threat of trolling.

Hothonda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When a disappointed reader, touting the new Viper's prowesses, asked Road & Track magazine (March/April 2014 pp 6) why there was no TA Viper tested in their 2014 "Performance Car Of The Year"
issue here was their response:

"We're not just talking numbers - and as for feel, the Viper is less brutal than it used to be & less refined than we'd like. And anyway we asked: Chrysler
didn't want to lend us a new TA."

Regardless of what you think about the magazine, many potential Viper buyers do read it (including me) & file info like this away for future purchase plans.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you are thinking RT/10-ish sportsbar with an easily stowable Jeff Lemke style hardtop that still leaves sufficient headroom (you could stow it where normally the convertable top folds into) that is a golden combination.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Careful now guys, we're dangerously close to getting this thread back in topic.