Wrecked my 2005 SRT

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperbob, glad you and wife are OK! Accidents happen even when driving sober and that is what insurance is for because it really is a jungle on the roadways. Hope you get baxk on the road ASAP!

F355, let's not go there with TC again.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a possible suggestion with all the power involved. Clearly something is going to have to be done or else it looks like these higher crash numbers are a sad reality. Then again putting TC could give people a false belief they can go faster. Who knows, I just cringe when I hear about these accident. It really makes me think twice when driving my car.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a possible suggestion with all the power involved. Clearly something is going to have to be done or else it looks like these higher crash numbers are a sad reality. Then again putting TC could give people a false belief they can go faster. Who knows, I just cringe when I hear about these accident. It really makes me think twice when driving my car.

It is true that more hp means more responsibility but TC is an overcomplex techno gizmo like ABS that can and will fail in the long term life of a car.

Thinking twice when you drive your Viper after reading this post is the best comment I have heard so far. :2tu: Learning from posts such as this is the best result possible and brings out some good from the unfortunate accident.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear but like everyone else, glad you're OK. Get another Viper as soon as you can, you'll feel much better!

Traction control does not belong on the Viper. That's the main reason I bought mine, no safety net. I love the ******** approach of the Viper, TC will soften it up.

Reaction score
Avi:

I am worried as well. 600+ HP might lead to more of these accidents. Traction control might be a good idea.

Auto accidents have been a fact of life from day one. Cars are much safer by design and safety features(restraints, air bags, etc.). Cars with high performance attract spirited drivers.

The best way to reduce accidents is to educate and train drivers to drive within their abilities and to understand the basics of car control, vehicle dynamics all known as physics.

The Viper is for people who like to drive a performance car without a Nanny. Concerned about the 600 hp? you should be! Respect it, understand and master car control and all will be well.

When it gets cold the tire compound gets harder (loses grip). At some point the tire size works against grip and becomes more like a flat bottomed boat, about the same as water. If we forget to make adjustment to the road and ambient conditions the opportunity for loss of control increases. Now all is takes is a maneuver(like land change, braking, etc) done thousands of times that is now an unexpected loss of control.

Like most of us I hate to hear of accidents. The best solution is to improve our driving skills. Take performance driving schools, Viper Days, Autocross, etc. We can all learn to be better drivers and keep sharp by practicing how to drive.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed my mind a few years ago, loosing my GTS was the key experience.

I did driving schools (and I do), I drove the car most of the time in the rain and was aware of all the problems - it did not speeding etc...I was cruising when IT happened...

...and it MAY happen even to an experienced driver - loosing control. And the VIPER is a real beast if it comes to cold tires and/or wet surface roads!

I am confident that traction control and ABS would have saved my 99' GTS.

Sometimes you have to "face death" to get the idea.

Most of us are not race drivers and we claim to be "manly mans" and that's why we need no stinking traction control or ESP or ABS or whatever

;-)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Clearly something is going to have to be done or else
it looks like these higher crash numbers are a sad reality.

The crash numbers were always high and will always be high
with this kind of car. If you castrate the viper performance
freaks will just turn to another car. I for one will never
drive a TC/ABS car. The only reason my Ram has an Automatic
and ABS is because I feel they benefit a towing rig. When I
bought my mustang DCX lost my business because they don't have
a 6spd no-frill charger so I bought a 5spd, no ABS, no TC ford.
Their loss.

ViperBob - Sorry to hear about your car, but I'm glad you and
the Mrs. walked away. Tell the insurance company I'll give them
$500 for the remains.

OP
OP
viperbob

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for asking. My wife & go back to the hospital to have our stitches taken out and follow-up...we are both still sore and have nagging headaches but we are walking & talking, which is good.

The insurance company's adjuster will probably not see the car until early next week (it is at Jacksonville Dodge) and I will be there when it is looked at. I'll be sure to post the outcome, if permitted to do so.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VENOMAHOLIC: It is true that more hp means more responsibility but TC is an overcomplex techno gizmo like ABS that can and will fail in the long term life of a car.

I would be interested to learn more about the failing over the lifetime of the car. Do these systems just give out eventually?

VENOMAHOLIC: That is all probably in an old thread.

No, you probably made it up. :nono:

DrDJ

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VENOMAHOLIC: It is true that more hp means more responsibility but TC is an overcomplex techno gizmo like ABS that can and will fail in the long term life of a car.

I would be interested to learn more about the failing over the lifetime of the car. Do these systems just give out eventually?

VENOMAHOLIC: That is all probably in an old thread.

No, you probably made it up. :nono:

DrDJ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually DrDJ, I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer with over 100k. The brakes started acting up. The ABS was malfunctioning somehow because at times the Blazer would all of a sudden vibrate weirdly and take forever to stop. It had fluid. This was an intermittent problem that cost $300 or more to fix but im still not sure what actually was done. (primarily since my wife took it in)

Every car I have had with ABS works poorly in the winter. When braking in the snow, the brakes flutter so much that it drains the electrical system so the power steering fails and the car may come close to stalling.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>Every car I have had with ABS works poorly in the winter. When braking in the snow, the brakes flutter so much that it drains the electrical system so the power steering fails and the car may come close to stalling. <<<

???

I cant imagine driving a DD in the winter without ABS - period.

Offroading is another thing. ABS hurts here. And only here.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS is an absolute necessity in my opinion. If others don't feel that way, that is their opinion but I think that any safety feature can not hurt. I much rather be safe than sorry.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS in the winter is an absolute requirement. I could not live without it (now that we have it). As to issues with ABS I have never had any issue in cold weather winter driving. And we do get a bit of that here in Michigan.

I did have a MAJOR issue with ABS at the track. But that had more to do with how it reacted when I had an intermittent sensor failure.

BTW I see no connection between ABS, power steering and engine stalling. Your cars must have gremlins! It doubt it can draw more electricity than your headlamps (check the fuse size - unless your car can create new circuits when it is in gremlin mode :) ).

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would be interested to learn more about the failing
over the lifetime of the car. Do these systems just give out
eventually?

On my BMW I had two speed sensors malfunction and the ABS
sensor blow out. Without the ABS, and with no ABS disconnect,
the brakes refused to function properly at any speed. Very
scary because until it was fixed there was no way to tell
when the car was going to stop. And with the speed sensors
(which are connected to the ABS and burn out about every
20-30k on 5-series cars) when they go you lose your speedo
and computer AND the ABS will shut down because it cannot
detect wheel spin.

On my ram I just had to replace all the brakes ($1100)
because the one time I needed ABS it failed and I ended up
cooking all four corners. Luckily I didn't jack knife the
trailer, but it was a costly lession to learn.

When TC becomes mandatory I'll just revert back to my old
jeeps and give up buying cars for good. It took me a long
time to find a mustang without all that crap attached.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperBob,

I am glad you and your wife are ok as the viper can be replaced and the two of you can not be. Up here in New England whenever one puts on a signal light to pull into the left lane the people in the left lane stand on the gas and try to cut you off. They do it as soon as you turn on your signal light no matter if they are way behind you at the time. real idiots.

Robbie
AtRo Racing Products
VCA Sponsor

OP
OP
viperbob

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it was 3 weeks ago yesterday that the car was wrecked and things have been progressing slowly albeit I got the damage estimate Fridayu: just under $67k. Needless to say the car is totalled and the insurance company (Grundy) is working to get me a check ASAP. I wanted to buy the wreck from them but they said there was too much damage and they would not assume the liability (I even offered to sign a waiver) so it is off to Coparts for auction.

Since I have Red touchup paint left from the last one I think I'll get a Red 2006 so it does not go to waste.

Thanks to all that emailed me with suggestions, advice, etc. and especially Jon B. and Bill P. for going above & beyond the norm - the best thing about about VCA is the people (except for the car of course)!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Glad to hear that things are working out. Good luck with the purchase of a new 2006, but if I can say, go with a new color!! Graphite looks neat, and so does the Blue.

OP
OP
viperbob

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about a different color but my first one was Red '94RT10, then a Blue/White striped '97 RT10, followed by a Black/Silver striped '95 RT10, and finally the Red '05 but since I only had it 2 months I want to get another Red one. Besides, I have that touchup paint.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino + your touchup paint= your old Viper good as new!

(I only said that because you seem to be in good spirits about the whole deal :) ). Enjoy the hunt for your next Viper!

Chad... maybe you should buy the touch up paint from him. You seem to need it a lot. :D

jk-knock on wood

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang