WRONG PS FLUID?

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer put ATF in my power steering system. I have a '98 GTS and it is supposed to have Mopar Power Steering Fluid. ATF breaks down the rubber seals and hoses. The fluid has been in the car for 2 weeks and only driven about 8 miles home from the dealer.
How long does it take for the ATF to cause damage? I was thinking I could have the ATF sucked out and put in the Mopar PS fluid, drive the car about a half hour and have that fluid sucked out and then put in fresh Mopar PS fluid. I think that would flush out all the ATF. However, I'm concerned the ATF might have caused damage to the rubber that will show up later. Anybody know?:confused: TIA.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its not gonna hurt ya. i always say wait for tom obviously but ATF is similar and thin enough.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past, PSF was simply ATF with added anti-wear protection. The vane pump inside the power steering was more sensitive because of the extremely high pressures when the driver steered all the way to one side.

Today PSF and ATF have changed. PSF is often formulated to pump more easily at low temperatures so the wheel does not feel stiff. ATF has changed to last longer and provide the frictional characteristics each OEM wants for shift feel. However, they would still have compatible base oils, which is the cause of the seal and hose incompatibility.

I don't believe ATF will cause the PSF elastomers any harm. Only in the very long term (years) might there show a difference in pump wear. I would drive it back and have them change the fluid.

OP
OP
R

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom and guys. I'll get it flushed and replaced with PSF and not worry now.:D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tom,
Whosever originally dubbed you Fuel, Lube, Oil Geek of the REALM (FLOGoR) those many years ago must have been a wise man......

In the past, PSF was simply ATF with added anti-wear protection. The vane pump inside the power steering was more sensitive because of the extremely high pressures when the driver steered all the way to one side.

Today PSF and ATF have changed. PSF is often formulated to pump more easily at low temperatures so the wheel does not feel stiff. ATF has changed to last longer and provide the frictional characteristics each OEM wants for shift feel. However, they would still have compatible base oils, which is the cause of the seal and hose incompatibility.

I don't believe ATF will cause the PSF elastomers any harm. Only in the very long term (years) might there show a difference in pump wear. I would drive it back and have them change the fluid.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer put ATF in my power steering system. I have a '98 GTS and it is supposed to have Mopar Power Steering Fluid.

What clued you in? The work order, or were you just suspicious and decided to have a taste? Enquiring minds want to know...

This does reinforce my determination to just do the maintenace stuff myself; although we do have a most excellent Viper tech hereabouts. I'm just too cheap-minded and his shop is far enough away that it's just more convenient to do it myself, even when including cleaning up the mess on the garage floor afterwards.

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its not gonna hurt ya. i always say wait for tom obviously but ATF is similar and thin enough.

Boy, we all think alike!!!!!! LUCKILY we DO have Tom here! :2tu: (I also knew years ago that ATF was used for PSF, but wasn't sure about today's cars..thanx Tom!) ~juli

Reaction score

Yep, I'm going to have to agree with Tom (.....and I don't know a damn thing about either)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets