Your bro-in-law takes your Viper for a joy ride, what do you do?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In either case, I'd call the nearest "exotic rental" company. Find out what a days rental of a Viper costs, and tell him that unless he wants to move out RIGHT NOW, he owes you the equivalent of one days rental, due in cash. That thousand or so dollars will buy some nice stuff for your car.
If he's mooching the guy for free rent, what makes you think he has cash for a day's rental, let alone a half tank of gas? It gets me boiling just reading about it. They say an act of charity can only breed gratitude or hatred... this guy doesn't seem like the gracious type.

Bat- he hates you for your success. Kick him out before he burns your house down. What I want to know is what does the wife have to say about this?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In either case, I'd call the nearest "exotic rental" company. Find out what a days rental of a Viper costs, and tell him that unless he wants to move out RIGHT NOW, he owes you the equivalent of one days rental, due in cash. That thousand or so dollars will buy some nice stuff for your car.

If he's mooching the guy for free rent, what makes you think he has cash for a day's rental, let alone a half tank of gas? It gets me boiling just reading about it. They say an act of charity can only breed gratitude or hatred... this guy doesn't seem like the gracious type.

EXACTLY...The conversation goes like this:

Batboy: "Since you drove my car when you knew you weren't supposed to, I've called and found that renting a Viper for one day would cost X dollars. I expect you to pay me that much for the use of my car. If you can't pay me this fee, then you're going to have to leave."

Loser-in-law: "I don't have that kind of money!!!"

Batboy: "I see. You don't have the money to rent a Viper for a single day, yet you found it perfectly ok to take mine and risk wrecking it. Since you can't pay me the rental fee, I'm evicting you. Get out."

ETA: I'm curious about your wifes take on this also BatBoy. I had an in-law in my house for almost 6 years. No rent, no utilities, nothing ever even offered. Every time the discussion of her needing to get on with her own life came up between me and my wife(brought up by me, of course), the subject was either changed, or the "she's family, what do you want me to do, just kick her out on the street" card got played. You're definitely in a tough place, but you've got LOTS of ammo if you decide that the dirt-bag needs to go.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time the discussion of her needing to get on with her own life came up between me and my wife(brought up by me, of course), the subject was either changed, or the "she's family, what do you want me to do, just kick her out on the street" card got played.

I think it would depend on what "she" looked like. :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time the discussion of her needing to get on with her own life came up between me and my wife(brought up by me, of course), the subject was either changed, or the "she's family, what do you want me to do, just kick her out on the street" card got played.

LOL....Not if you're a happily married man like I am. ;)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

NO woman is worth that kind of aggrevation. Heck, prostitutes cost less than a triple bypass. :rolleyes:

If the wife isn't demanding he move out, then she is as much the problem as he is.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

NO woman is worth that kind of aggrevation. Heck, prostitutes cost less than a triple bypass. :rolleyes:

If the wife isn't demanding he move out, then she is as much the problem as he is.

You're single, aren't you? ;)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Law enforcement simply does not care about stolen cars unless that stolen car happens to be speeding."

Whatever you do, don't listen to mumbo jumbo like the above statement. You don't have a Theft or a Felony. You have an Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle. I don't know if that's what they call it in your State, but it's taking someones car without permission, using it, but not stealing it, as in your case. Misdemeanor charge in most States. That's all you have actually, nothing else.
I agree 100%. Was just trying to point out that even if it was a real theft law enforcement would not care unless you are in a smaller town.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're single, aren't you? ;)
Happily married and would have never put up with a ***** when I was single. Obviously some people should not be too hasty is getting a wife just because she's a looker... giver her 15-20 years and all you're left is an ugly old nag, and you'll be lucky if she hasn't spent all of your money and let her family wreck your Viper.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically i look at it like this..
i'm in the Marine Corps and when someone does something wrong and needs to be punished the senior Marine can do one of two things....
1. Run his ass up the chain of command and fry his ass (which in most cases its stupid as hell.
Or #2
You can deal with it in house by chewing his ass and booting him out of the house.
Why go to the police where it will screw him over for a long time to come?

I mean come on not that many people are really strong,he had an awesome viper there just teasin to take for a joy ride, are you tellin me you wouldn't think about it?

Go ahead and say you wouldnt think about it. But i know you would, YES you probably wouldn't because its wrong and dispespectfull but not everyone is strong willed, we all make mistakes! People screw up.... thats life. Chew his ass and give him the boot if you think you need to, i bet he won't ever do it again though, if you express your anger on this subject!

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm he takes your car for a rip, which would piss me off to no end, then he brings it back unmarked.
You kick his sorry ass, then he charges YOU with assault.
I would simply talk to him about how the trust factor has been been totally eroded and he is no longer allowed to stay with you and your family because of this. Then give him the cold shoulder for some time.
I beleive he is living with you for some sort of major reason (likely cheating on his wife). Making him leave will be punishment enough.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm he takes your car for a rip, which would piss me off to no end, then he brings it back unmarked.
You kick his sorry ass, then he charges YOU with assault.
I would simply talk to him about how the trust factor has been been totally eroded and he is no longer allowed to stay with you and your family because of this. Then give him the cold shoulder for some time.
I beleive he is living with you for some sort of major reason (likely cheating on his wife). Making him leave will be punishment enough.

I totally agree with Lethal, Kicking his ass and ripping off his arms legs so he can't drive is not going to teach him anymore of a lesson than kicking him out of the house for being dishonorable. Kicking the living sht out of him would feel good for the moment until you have to deal with your wife because you just made her brother a candidate to be posted on BANGEDUP.COM. I'm sure she (like most women) will not understand how the car is prized possession that shouldn't be fcked with and will minimilize what her brother did. How old is the ******* anyway? Reconsider the Saudi Arabian Dismemberment form of Discipline, it doesn't work well with the US Court System.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very simple.No beatings,no shouting,no threats,just give him until August 1'st to be out period.On August 1'st have his items removed to the street if still there or put into storge and get the locks changed.Otherwise he will be abusing you ,your family and belongings for the rest of your life. GTS Bruce

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is entirely your fault for flaunting your Viper in front of your poor in-law. He is the victim, you are the perpetrator. He now needs counseling for probably the rest of his life. You should be in jail. You are a bade man. You are a hater.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically i look at it like this..
i'm in the Marine Corps and when someone does something wrong and needs to be punished the senior Marine can do one of two things....
1. Run his ass up the chain of command and fry his ass (which in most cases its stupid as hell.
Or #2
You can deal with it in house by chewing his ass and booting him out of the house.
Why go to the police where it will screw him over for a long time to come?

I mean come on not that many people are really strong,he had an awesome viper there just teasin to take for a joy ride, are you tellin me you wouldn't think about it?

Go ahead and say you wouldnt think about it. But i know you would, YES you probably wouldn't because its wrong and dispespectfull but not everyone is strong willed, we all make mistakes! People screw up.... thats life. Chew his ass and give him the boot if you think you need to, i bet he won't ever do it again though, if you express your anger on this subject!

I thought you guys gave blanket party's!!!! and hide jelly donuts in your foot lockers!!! :D at least that's what Gomer Pyle did in Full Metal Jacket. :D

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what if his brother in law, had taken the 1979 pinto, would it be the same scenario?

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what if his brother in law, had taken the 1979 pinto, would it be the same scenario?

in My book it would. it is still a total disrespect of another persons property. if it aint yours, keep your paws off. if you needed something of mine, i may let you borrow it, but atleast have the decency and respect for me to ask my permission. :rolleyes:

if i were batboy, i would be checking my bank accounts, credit cards, taking inventory of the house etc., too. obviously the guy is sneaky and cant be trusted.

and i dont care if it was a relative or my neighbor. and i dont care if the care was returned or not. the item was taken without permission, therefore was STOLEN. what if i went to a local car dealership and took one of their cars and later returned it? would i be able to just walk away without consequences? any way you slice it, that is ILLEGAL.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he experienced all that is good about Viper ownership while he was "renting" it you may be in trouble if he stays around.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you can't legally assault him, but I'd call the police and make a record in case your Viper exhibits signs of being abused while he had it.

Then if nothing else, use the incident as an excuse to insist that he move out of your house.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He must leave NOW. Giving him notice is just asking for trouble. What's he going to do to your stuff or your Viper in the meantime, especially since you're not home?

JUCD- I don't remember the corp as a "feel-good lets make excuses for criminals" organization. Sure, ALL of us in that position would "think" about doing what this slime did... heck, I think about knocking off a bank everytime I drive by one. The difference between a normal person and slime is that normal people don't ACT it.

twinturbo- If someone palms a quarter off your desk... is that the same as breaking into your safe to take $50k? Incidentally, thats what both cars (pinto-.25, viper-50k)are worth. :D

V

venms96

Warfang says- "I don't remember the corp as a "feel-good lets make excuses for criminals" organization"

ME NEITHER !! But Capitalize "Corps" and add an "s" next time ! haha.

Semper Fi to all you Jarheads, old and young. Viper Owner or not. 4th of July, good time to say THANKS.

venms96
1996 GTS - Stock
SDMF

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this happened Matt. Keep in mind the situation could have been worst. Is this the same Bro-in-law that was at lunch a while back?

If you want, bring him to Carlisle, we can find a pole or tree to hang him from and treat him like a human piniata (sp?).

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He must leave NOW. Giving him notice is just asking for trouble. What's he going to do to your stuff or your Viper in the meantime, especially since you're not home?

JUCD- I don't remember the corp as a "feel-good lets make excuses for criminals" organization. Sure, ALL of us in that position would "think" about doing what this slime did... heck, I think about knocking off a bank everytime I drive by one. The difference between a normal person and slime is that normal people don't ACT it.

twinturbo- If someone palms a quarter off your desk... is that the same as breaking into your safe to take $50k? Incidentally, thats what both cars (pinto-.25, viper-50k)are worth. :D
Well if you read what i put then you would have seen i said, we would THINK about it but most wouldn't do it :bonker: ! The Corps isn't a "feel-good lets make excuses for criminals" BUT i dont think you should just give someone the max punishment for a first offense. yah its screwed up what his brother in-law did and he should be really pissed, and i suggested just like i did before, if you didn't see in my last post, that i'd give him an ass chewing of a lifetime and kick his ass out of the house.I just wouldnt call the cops and screw him over that way, maybe thats just me but thats a little over the top IN MY OPINION!
So like i was saying i'd deal with it in house like we do in the Marine Corps and not go the other route with the cops because its his brother in-law. So Hows that "FEEL GOOD" attitude?? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21