Your Opinions - burnt sill

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen or considered removing the paint for the area around the exhaust exit where the flat black is? Mine was burnt from the Corsa moving and was thinking about removing the flat black paint and polishing the aluminum to a shine instead of repainting. Just not 100% sure how it would look.

Here is my problem to deal with. From what I have heard it is a simple fix with flat high temp barbeque paint and some sanding.

9384DSC03992.JPG

9384DSC03987.JPG

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, for one , I would look at adjusting your exhaust. I have 8k miles with Corsa and no burnt sills. Second, you can easliy tape off and sand area and spray paint like you said. My buddy had to do same thing when he first put Corsa on. He painted it,re adjusted exhaust and hasnt had a problem since.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. The exhaust has been adjusted but I just havent got around to painting it yet. I was thinking about doing it soon and thought it might look good polished instead. After all the sills are aluminum. Since I have to sand it smooth i think I am going to see what it looks like when the paint is off and decide then.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should polish them and see how you like them and if not you can always paint them Black again. Post pics if you polish!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about polishing the exhaust tip area and carry it underneath and forward to cure the sand blasted sill issue as well? So make just the bottom of the sills going back to the exhaust area, polished aluminum. My sills are shot. I may try it myself???????????????

I always felt the Vipers should do and exhaust cover something like the old vettes in the 60’s

4030DSC02862.JPG

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to adjust your tips so they are about 1/8" off the front of the exhaust opening when cold. This way they will fall in the middle once the viper is hot. Be sure to center the tip dead even top and bottom when cold too. I have wrapped my exhaust system all the way back to just the tips and I have no paint burning what so ever. I have seen this with other Corsa systems and perhaps this explains why they no longer make any system besides the Track system. I have swapped out their mufflers on many vipers for our custom mufflers, made by Magnflow, and had this heat situation disappears totally. You can see this heat wrap and mufflers on our web site at:
http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned above the tips have been adjusted and were in the correct location. Problem was the passenger side moved and I didnt notice until too late. I also have the exhaust wrapped. The heat is not from the exhaust pipes or mufflers heating up, it is from the hot, exiting fumes.

Problem is the corsa bracket *****, I then went to heavy duty clamps that failed, then tacked the exhaust which eventually broke and now 5 to 7 tacks on each side which seem to be doing the trick.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperGMC just submitted this in another post but I assume he meant to do it here...

I like it. I would love to see a close up. I am going to PM him for more pics.

8021DSC00067.JPG

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont really do much. Mine stay pretty clean for some reason. I have polished them when I do my wheels but if that is every 6 months, that is alot. When I wash the car they get a once over with the sponge.

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The paint burned off of mine with in 5 minutes of getting it back from a Woodhouse install. I readjusted them and retack welded them. I then shimmed the mounts with washers so the tip sticks out about an eigth inch. I only tack welded them in two places and they seem to be holding.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Washers work ok for making adjustments after the side sill is on. It's better to bend the hanger out to get the tip where you want it, before the sill is completly reinstalled

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala