Z06 spied and already talks of "Viper killing"...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Z06 spied and already talks of \"Viper killing\"...

Didn't see it posted on this forum (SRT), so here you go:

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=8066

Amusing that they figured out the body-colored headlight surrounds looked like crap. Now blacked out, ala the Viper. 7.0 LS7 looks like an ill-founded rumor at best. Funny they are going gaga over the rear tire width, when I don't think they are even as wide as the Viper's from what I can see.

Best of all, they really believe that the Z06's purported "500+" horsepower will beat what DC unveils at the North American International Auto Show in just a few months. I have this sneaking suspicion that the Vette crowd will be amazingly quiet when the Coupe becomes official...

Make no mistake, I have always been a HUGE fan of the General and have had a GM vehicle in my garage ever since I was 16. However I think it is delusional to think that the Z06 is suddenly going to become the end-all of the American sports car scene. It ain't.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Z06 spied and already talks of

Logging on from an internet hotspot, (802.11g) here in the mountains, I do believe that the bow tie car has one distinct advantage: Name recognition.

Almost everyone has owned one or had a friend or family member who has one. And if they just go to Circuit City, they will pass 12-15 en route. They are hardly rare.

Their price point makes them accessible to those who are not looking at Turbo Carreras or onward to the GT40.

The C6 line has a very nice (for their type of customer) financial window: half the price of a Viper of which many have never heard, or if heard, never seen.

Chris, as we discussed here before, the Corvette is a nice American sportscar with a long and proud history. It has a niche and with automatic transmission and docile engine, it is highly desirable to those that want what they offer.

It is not, however, an exotic muscle car...then again, it does not cost like one.

Alice

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Z06 spied and already talks of \"Viper killing\"...

Hey, Chris , nice posting and I especially like the new factory bra for da new Chebby. Kinda has that aggressive "Catfish on Steriods ," look. Either that , or the evil look my granddad used to give us kids when he took out his false teeth and said he was going to gum us to death.

Best picture ever was stated --yikes, how bad were the others?!

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The November C&D shows a GTO project car on page 40, that they say contains "an unusual 6.4 liter pushrod V-8 under the hood, in fact, an LS7 block from a Corvette that's not even out yet-next year's ZO6." So I think that the 7.0L thing is bogus. About a year ago I saw a data sheet that listed the LS2 as 6.0L (way before it was released) and the LS7 as 6.4L. I think that is ground truth.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those poor Vette guys are chasing a dream that will never be realized. Vettes will NEVER and I repeat NEVER be in the same league as a Viper. Get over it Vette guys you can be proud you can beat a Mustang but don't try to go after the big-dog on the block you will get your **** handed to you!!! I like how giddy those guys get over wide tires and there still not as wide as ours. Yeah I expect the Z06 to have close to 500 hp no biggie the new coupe will have at least 600hp if not 650hp. The only way a Vette would ever be a Viper killer is if we didn't have a motor.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I especially like the new factory bra for da new Chebby. Kinda has that aggressive "Catfish on Steriods ,"
:D
You must be registered for see images attach

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those poor Vette guys are chasing a dream that will never be realized. Vettes will NEVER and I repeat NEVER be in the same league as a Viper. Get over it Vette guys you can be proud you can beat a Mustang but don't try to go after the big-dog on the block you will get your **** handed to you!!! I like how giddy those guys get over wide tires and there still not as wide as ours. Yeah I expect the Z06 to have close to 500 hp no biggie the new coupe will have at least 600hp if not 650hp. The only way a Vette would ever be a Viper killer is if we didn't have a motor.

As I don't feel like being redundant, I borrowed your post.

MOTION SECONDED!

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

500hp and approx 3000 pounds. Same HP and about 350 lbs lighter than current SRT 10s.

You guys in 03, 04, and 05 Vipers will not be laughing at this car.

Also rumored to be at least $15K less than a viper probable $60-$65 K.

Dodge needs to step up. Chevy is catching up in a big way. The RT/10 was higher HP and LIGHTER than the ZR 1 when it debuted.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

500hp and approx 3000 pounds. Same HP and about 350 lbs lighter than current SRT 10s.

You guys in 03, 04, and 05 Vipers will not be laughing at this car.

Also rumored to be at least $15K less than a viper probable $60-$65 K.

Dodge needs to step up. Chevy is catching up in a big way. The RT/10 was higher HP and LIGHTER than the ZR 1 when it debuted.

Since the introduction of the Viper the Vette has always been about 100hp shy. I'm sure that Dodge will keep this trend going. The Viper was made to be the king of the hill, and I'm sure that the Dodge boys will keep it that way (they'd better!). The SRT's motor can easily produce more power in it's naturally aspirated form. And that is the real beauty of this car (huge displacement with relatively low tech and low compression). In five years, if you want to compete with the newest, baddest whatever, throw some forced induction on you SRT and bam, another RELIABLE 250-300hp, no problem.

The ZO6 motor will probably already be so tweaked that it will be hard to get much extra without a lot of $$$.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very hard to compete with a vision/dream. When the reality exists then we can discuss competition. But until that time this is just another wish story.

For every 7L and 500hp rumor there is a 6.4L 450-475 hp rumor. And (if 475) that would put them at about the same power/weight as the 2003 SRT, but with much lower torque. Thus they really need to get more than 475 hp to even the 2003 Viper. Any bets?

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well we all heard how great the C6 was going to be - and we all see the real deal (lol). now i would lay big odds the Z06 C6 will grace us all in the same way - bring on that Z06 C6, me and my little SRT 03 ready for the challenge, also the viper is reality ( in production with specs and no BS ) not a dream. WAKE UP vettsters and bring it on when its real.

tom

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I figure that the C6 Z06 will be around 3100lbs, and will indeed have 500HP.
The final version of the Z06 will be shown soon enough at the upcoming NAIAS show in Detroit, with info available on Jan 9th, 2005.

Because of the Z06's weight advantage and comparable HP (if not TQ), combined with more agressive gearing, it should be quicker than the current SRT-10 Viper.

But it's very likely that DC will also have the next version of the Viper available at that same show.
It was shown with the SEMA Viper (Carbon) concept, that they can fairly easily squeeze out 625HP/625TQ out of the current engine N/A, and with CF body panels, shave off at least 100Lbs as well.

The C6 Z06 will definitely be competitive with it's new power/weight/price, and DC should be well aware that they NEED to distance themselves from the Corvette, as well as raise the performance bar against car like the Ferrari 430, Ford GT, and upcoming Porsche 997 Turbo to still be seen as being comparable to those high performance cars.

I strongly suspect that D/C will have a surprise at NAIAS as well to counter the C6 Z06. :laugh:

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Power and torque aside, if the new z has 500hp it ain't going to cost only 60-65k. Remember GM may sell more Zs but they also have to pay for the repairs. If GM makes the car more bullet proof to put up with the way the vette people are going to drive it--then the price has to go up. Any way you slice it, the v10 can do. I am also going to be very curious about the rear end ratio they put in the new Z

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And (if 475) that would put them at about the same power/weight as the 2003 SRT, but with much lower torque. Thus they really need to get more than 475 hp to even the 2003 Viper. Any bets?

Not quite, a 2002-2004 Z06 weighs in at 3050lbs (dry) 3100lbs with a full tank and is 405hp. The C6 Z06 is "SAID" to be lighter (you know they aren't going to ADD weight) say 2900lbs couple that with 475-500hp, and a Gen III will have it's hands full.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As much as I love the viper, I honestly believe the new Z06 will be faster around the track.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And (if 475) that would put them at about the same power/weight as the 2003 SRT, but with much lower torque. Thus they really need to get more than 475 hp to even the 2003 Viper. Any bets?

Not quite, a 2002-2004 Z06 weighs in at 3050lbs (dry) 3100lbs with a full tank and is 405hp. The C6 Z06 is "SAID" to be lighter (you know they aren't going to ADD weight) say 2900lbs couple that with 475-500hp, and a Gen III will have it's hands full.

Wow! That must be a small gas tank. :D

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That would make it an 8.333333 gallon gas tank!

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Viper needs to worry about Ford not Chevy. The GT and the concept Shelby GR Coupe are insane in terms of design and performance.

Dodge rocked the car world 12 years ago by dethroning the Corvette as the top American Sports car - both in design and Performance. Now it is Ford doing the dethroning.

DC can easily step up - I think the AMG Mercs are some of the baddest cars ever created, and they leave their competition (BMW, Lexus, Audi) in the dust. They need to spread some of that love to the Viper. The SL65 has 100 more HP and some 220+ lbs/Tq. over the current SRT 10.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember when Ford said the GT would weigh about 3000lbs? Now it weighs over 3500. How'd they do that with all aluminum and carbon fiber???

Chevy will have to make the Z06 with VERY light body panels, no stereo or A/C, no power seats or windows, no door panels (or a vinyl flap) no carpet....on and on. AND the photo shows the stardard targa body. They can't make that lighter and keep the stiff chassis.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys, I saw the new Z06 last week, touched it, checked out under the camo, saw interior, etc. It is nice but who's getting crazy talking 2900 lbs. The tires are huge compared to other Z's, a 325. I'm happy they are making this as it will force DC to keep stepping it up.

Although the FordGT is beautiful, I don't know what they are going to do, they already supercharged that thing. I see them getting smoked by this and our new coupe will kill both of them.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. 50 lbs between curb and dry??

DT04R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, gas is roughly ~6.5lbs per gallon (without getting into the pressure state, etc.) - so in a Z06 with a 18 gallon tank you're looking at ~117 lbs for just gas.

FWIW, I weighed mine on a track scale @ Roebling - a little over 1/2 a tank of gas, harnesses, BK 4 point bar, camera, helmet without the spare inflator and it was 3088 lbs (3538 with me in it). It was stock otherwise.

DT

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

... The SL65 has 100 more HP and some 220+ lbs/Tq. over the current SRT 10. -Hirohawa

The SL65 also weighs 4654lbs...37% more than an SRT-10.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah but the point is DC has the technology to put out a factory car with Twin Turbos 605 hp and still offer a warranty. And they are not putting their Highest Performance motor in the Viper. That is not true with GM- Z06 and Ford- GT.

Until DC decides the Viper is a Halo car again it will play second fiddle even within their own organization.

Also getting back to the C6 Z06 - everyone on the Corvette Boards are excited about this car, more excited than the base model. The SRT Coupe did not garner the same kind of excitement on these boards. I really hope they show up with something special at NAIS.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FWIW, I weighed mine on a track scale @ Roebling - a little over 1/2 a tank of gas, harnesses, BK 4 point bar, camera, helmet without the spare inflator and it was 3088 lbs (3538 with me in it). It was stock otherwise.

DT

Wow! I hope there was a typo somewhere there or you are one significant (read LARGE) dude! 3538 - 3088 = 450 lbs

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I went to Edmunds for weight on the current SRT and Z06 and the Porsche site for the Carrera GT weight. (Dodge site and Edmunds both list the Viper at 3380)

[*]3042 pounds Carrera GT [*]3116 pounds C5 z06 [*]3380 pounds SRT/10

It's interesting how close the zo6 weight is to the carbon fiber and lightweight everywhere Carrera GT. Neither the vette or Viper are metal skinned and the Viper has less Weight Adding options/comforts than the Vette. The Viper Coupe designers should be mandated to bring the Coupe weight to within 150 pounds of the vette. (got to leave some room for the beast motor and what goes with it to handle the big power) Ford didn't get it done on the weight with their GT but if gm can get the weight down so can SRT.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember when Ford said the GT would weigh about 3000lbs? Now it weighs over 3500. How'd they do that with all aluminum and carbon fiber???

Chevy will have to make the Z06 with VERY light body panels, no stereo or A/C, no power seats or windows, no door panels (or a vinyl flap) no carpet....on and on. AND the photo shows the stardard targa body. They can't make that lighter and keep the stiff chassis.

Bleieve me it wouldn't much take all that much for GM to get the Z06's weight to 3,00lbs.

A stock C5 Z06 weighs 3115lbs --> http://chevrolet.jbcarpages.com/Corvette/2004/index4.php

This is with a glass body and steal chassis. Chevy has been toying w/ aluminum chassis (weight saving of 150lbs+) not counting more carbon fiber pieces ('04 C.E. Z06 has a carbon hood) to help drop weight.

I won't believe ANYTHING until I see it, but looking forward to January none the less.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I new high HP Z06 (500 or more) with larger rubber and upgraded handling components will give the current SRT-10 fits. But it will still be a vette, in my z06 I am an average joe, but in my viper i am rolling.

I think you guys who bash the Z06 should drive one first, its not that bad, but its no viper either