04 Cam sprocket VIN's

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: 04 Cam sprocket VIN\'s

Mine was built 9/15 but evidently got a bit lucky and is not effected according to D/C.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

I can't fault Dodge for this one, it is not an engineering or design problem. As I understand it, it is something truly stupid, letting a loctite resevoir run dry. With all the sensors we have these days on brake fluid, radiator, etc resevoirs it would seem this machine would have a sensor.

Doesn't Dodge build the engine? Doesn't Dodge set up their factories? Dosen't Dodge spec the equipment that is in the factory? How is this not Dodge's fault? Who's fault is it? Tend to agree with the guy above that said more and more things made in America are mediocre. I think it's due to companies cutting costs ie. workers to increase their EPS so the CEO's can justify their compensations that are 500 times their average worker's pay. They also can claim increased productivity which of course has been rising while unemployment has been increasing. Also, of course quality is going down as a result of too few workers doing too much work. They probably fired the engineer that would have been the one to put a sensor on that equipment or the person that attended it. Maybe they can hire someone cheap from India or China to come and watch it. Stay tuned for the return to a BEAR market!!! :eek: Go SHORT if you have not already. :2tu:

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK, I missed this one. Haven't followed the gen 3 board closely enough. Bought my SRT-10 in November.

What is the TSB about? What are the potential issues?

TIA, George

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What,s really unbelievable is that, even though the cost to Dodge to replace blown or damaged engines could be huge, I have yet to be notified officailly. I found out, thanks to this web site, that my car is in the build dates listed. Except for that I would still be riding around with a potential engine failure looming. Apparently few people have received Official notice. To save thousands of dollars in repair/engine replacement cost you would think Dodge could have sent a one page letter to those affected. Maybe 900 letters versus $$$$$ for engines/repair. How about the downtime and inconvienance for the owners that could be avoided.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fred,
In another post, didn't you say you talked to your dealer about it? They are the ones notifying owners. You probably won't get any aditional notices.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

9sec: When I read about the problem on this site I called a Viper tech at another dealership who is the only one I feel comfortable with servicing the Viper. I asked him if he heard about the problem with the bolts and he said not only did he know about it but he was already working on one car and truck. He looked up my build date for me and said my car was in there. Meanwhile my "selling" Dealer had not called me and still has not. So, without this web site I may still be driving the car oblivious to what was going on. My Viper tech did say that he was thinking of calling me but, because I bought the car elsewhere he thought that Dealer would have notified me. There are still readers/owners coming to this board who do not know what is going on and whether or not their car is affected. In fact some people have posted that when they called their local Dodge dealer to ask about this issue the Dealer said "they new nothing about this"?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

THATS THE TSB # MY DEALER HAS NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
thanks in advance.....vd..

There will be a LOT MORE VIN's than the helpful yet partial list TacDoc posted.
But Semantics is making us Crazy:

Do believe RICH CARLSON, and when talking to D-C and their dealers you need to adopt the same vocabluary.

A "Rapid Response Transmittal" was sent by D-C to SRT-10 Ram and/or Viper SELLING DEALERS. "Top priority-Must be Completed prior to vehicle sale." So some dealers will be clueless as usual, if they have not sold any.

This is a SERVICE ACTION # 04-006. Any Dodge dealer can pull it up.

It is NOT a TSB, and NOT a Recall, (a dreaded federal-repercusions word.)

S.A. allows 5.1 hours for RAM, and 3.3 hours for Viper. SA itemizes 108 steps for RAM, 89 steps for Viper....and you get new oil and coolant included.

Viper Step # 37: "If any camshaft sprocket bolt is broken, engine Replacement is required" I ASSUME this also means "missing" as some have been missing.
RAM is same langauge, in step 43

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes but what about those vehicles already sold? My selling dealer in particular has not yet notified me? Others are reporting the same experiance. If this is that important why not cut out the middle man and send the notice directly to the owners or do both?

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Meanwhile my "selling" Dealer had not called me and still has not.

Thanks for taking time to explain and illuminating a bad problem. I wonder how many don't know?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

..... I wonder how many don't know?

Every day for the last week it has been my least-favorite task, usually performed when someone calls to buy something exciting for their new 2004 SRT.
Kind of a bad news - good news scene.

Two guys even had the SYMPTOMS and the un-informed dealers were no help.