06 s/c coupe vs modded z06

OP
OP
M

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zorroespanol , i can answer some of those questions.

A- my friend definitely does not have gas (yet) he has a 75 shot in his garage but has not decided on what to do yet, until he mounts the drags.

B- my car was built and always maintained by DLM. i can assure you, along with doug and john at his shop. my car runs perfect(aside from slightly high a/f ratio) which doug is well aware of and he dosnt see a concern. my clutch is perfect,no slipping at all. just had some adjustments a few weeks ago to the s/c and cooling unit. Doug personally hooked every computer known to man up to the car and gave it a clean bill of health.

C - my car cant fit inside a paper bag, so i guess i cant get out of what i cant get in to.

I live in south florida and the viper club meeting is this friday. i will lay 1k cash on the line that says i can drive that car in the 1/4 mile, around turns. whatever you want. since you seem to live close why dont you bring your viper and we can run them. now i dont know what you have but i do know, that if you would like to race against me or sit in the passenger seat and watch me drive you will see that i drive the car properly. and i am willing to wager 1k cash to prove once and for all, i can drive my own damn car quite well. much better then the average viper owner.now thats not to say that once in a while i dont mis a shift, but that happens to even the legendary MR BOB Woodhouse and i'm sure many pro drivers. so why dont you show up to the tower shops this friday night and we can meet(short ,stocky,shaved head, with the nicest looking 06 yellow coupe there)you cant mis me.(i will most likely be parked next to another yellow 05 hard top)(dont worry about him , he's all show and no go. but he does have all the looks) i will even bring my buddy with the z06 for anyone that might want to take a shot at him, he loves to race, and so do i. considering the road conditions are ok.

some of you guys found a way to turn a simple post into madness. i'm just excited we fially raced and wanted to share the news.

i love the way my car drives and feels. I told DLM to stay conservative with the boost, thats why i'm only 6lbs of boost right now. i dont want to blow anything up.

Doug did an awesome job on my car. i can assure you i will blow away a stock srt.(already have many times) with my 620 rwhp.

yes if i ran my buddy at night in the cold it would make a huge difference in my car and his. he gets better engine but worse tire slipping.

i believe it has a lot to do with what doug always told me from day 1. the hotter it is and back to back runs will drop a s/c car by some serious horse power. so taking that in to account we are not to far apart if i have been driving for 2 hours in the middle of the day and then just meet up with him and make 3 back to back runs.

i heard someone say the best time for a stock srt with a paxton is 11.3 or so. i think i'm probably a tenth or so faster because i have comp tires.maybee i will go with a header and no cats.for a little more bottom end. i like loud sounding stuff anyway.

i guess my whole point to this post was to share my excitement that my friends z06 is just so fast for only having 550rwhp. he and i both did not expect him to be infront of me ever.and the way his car just pulls even though he has less torque.

anyway, to all that say i cant drive. if you want to make an easy 1k in cash just bet against me that i cant drive for [******]. see some of you at the towers friday.

thanks KENRICK for answering questions about the gt. i just cant get that yellow one with the black stripe out of my head. DLM can beef that thing up cant he? didnt he do yours?

one last thing. if any of you guys are going to the towers friday and have an srt with just a paxton, no other mods. i would be willing to pay decent cash to see you go heads up against my friends z06. win or lose, i will pay you a fair amount of cash. like enough to by to new rear bfg dr's
plus it will be alot of fun. its all in good sport. so if you got a basic paxton like i do and no other mods now is your chance to see what all that money you spent feels like plus i'll throw you some cash no matter if you win or not.

thank you gentlemen and good day.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still do not understand the 6 psi comment. The Paxton hits 8 consistently on mine if I shift at 6000 and 8.5. If I take it to redline.

One of these days I will install a larger aftercooler radiator. And maybe a coolant circuit temp sensor. One added comment is that you can turn on your a/c to force the fan on and help keep the temps low.

OP
OP
M

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8 ASP, just looked at your sig. so you live in the devils armpit.atleast thats what my old english mate used to call it. i lived in a little town on 18 mile and vandyke. can you guess it?

I dont have a boost gauge in my car, so i cant tell you what it says. but i can tell you that DLM says that with that little boost i dont have to have a mounted gauge.truth be told the wife would have figured it out. after not having the car for a few weeks while evrything was being done when i first started it, she said " what did you do to the engine,it sounds like a vacum cleaner"

I said " not much dear just chaanged some chaep air filters to better ones, thats all you are hearing.

she would have my sack on a plate if she knew how much i dropped total for everything. then i would definately have to let her put in the "new kitchen" she has been bugging me for.imagine how fast she would flip if i did go out and buy a ford GT.

anyway back to the question at hand. DLM says i would need to install a gauge if i wanted to go up to 8, but i've heard quite a few guys say that at 8lbs they messed up stuff in the engine bigtime. ask viperx (dan) he would know
because he had that problem when he cranked it up to 8. he had to forge the pistons and a bunch of other [******].

his car is sick. over 900rwhp. well thats the one he calls his wifes car too. his gts has the 650 package i think.

i'm not much of a mechanic bro, thats why i put a lot of faith and trust in DLM. he always tells me. safe hp is the key. i like to drive my car alot, so i dont want to comprimise a few extra horses over down time and wasted cash getting it fixed.

as per my sig, obviously this is my firt viper. if i could do it again, i think i would have picked up an 01 if they made yellow that year. not an 02 fe only because i dont like the red and white combo.( but they say red gets you around the track the quickest) from what i have read they are less expensive to get up in to the 8-900 rwhp range.

yeah DLM put in a bigger aftercooler for me a few weeks ago. its nice chrome look thru the front and is about 4 times the size of the factory one.

how loud is your car. you have the mopar headers right? any cats or you took all 4 out? factory mufflers?

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Sorry brother...

I happen to live in South Beach, and I have WAY BETTER places to be in a Friday night than to hangout at a parking lot with you and your buddies, wanking looking at each other's cars and beer bellies. (and bold heads as you say!!) :bonker:

You can of course come find me to say hi in the VIP room at Suite Lounge... that is if they let you in first :laugh:

Besides, I never implied my car is faster than yours, I only have off road exhaust and intake. Your car is way faster than mine.

I did imply however that you do not know how to drive that monster you own, ;) much less tune it yourself. That is two things I CAN do.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't wait to race my first Z06. I used to have a 523 rwhp '01 Z06 and it seemed faster than my GTS when it had 545 rwhp. Z's are awesome.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I have a better picture now. I assume Doug either installer a different pulley or a blow-off valve. That would make quite a difference.

18 and Van **** would be Shelby I think. Could be Sterling Heights though. That is 20 minutes from me (not now as I am in Minnesota the next 2 weeks).

Note I am not aware of anyone with problems with the Paxton at the stock 8 psi. Those I hqve heard about were pushing the envelope. I believe Dan was the one that upper fuel shut-off among other mods. In 1 1/2 years mine has been flawless. Only cat removal (all 4) and 3 inch side exit exhaust. Everything else is stock (except the Paxton of course).

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I have a better picture now. I assume Doug either installer a different pulley or a blow-off valve. That would make quite a difference.

I don't know this kit specifically, but I assume it MUST come with a BOV. Otherwise, if you were ever to have the throttle closed at high RPM,s you would just blow out the hoses from the SC to the Throttle body.

So yes, chances are it is just a bigger pulley for less boost... but still 620 RWHP is more than enough to beat that ZO6, even with everything else being stock.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
myfirstviper,

Why don't you go to the drag strip with your buddy and get some timeslips so we can see how your car performs and how you are driving. Also, you say you had a slipping belt....no way I would own a s/c vehicle without a boost gauge. You should get one, get the one that records max boost. Have you been back to the dyno ?

I am not familiar with your tires, but I don't think they are drag radials and I can't understand why you cannot roast them at will. With the centrifical it is important to start in the correct gear at the correct rpm. Of course....not spinning is very important too.

It is great that you and your buddy are just having a good time, but if I had a s/c Viper and a stockish n/a car was smacking me around things would be changing ;)

Please realize that even though you posted to brag on the Vette...that's great but it will go over a lot better on the tupperware forum :laugh: Please keep us updated on your car and the future results.

p.s. Your buddy isn't named Chris N. is he ???

OP
OP
M

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zorroespanol . here is my reply to your comments.

first off you are in the viper club of america chat board. so the VCA which I and lots of others on this VCA website are actually members of the organization. It is an oficial meeting held every first friday of each month where many well respected business men get together to network involving a hobby and business we all have in common. so i think the president of the club outlawed "wanking" a few months ago, so you don't have to worry about that.

as for a beer belly. not on me my friend. i have been in to bodybuilding since i was 19. so yes i do always carry a six pack, however its not one that you would drink .

as for the description of my head. i said it was shaved, big difference between that and being bald. bald guys hair normally dosnt grow back, however, I find that if i dont shave it 2x a week it becomes a bit scruffy.

not that i would mind if i was bald and did have a beer belly. my grandpap did and he always seemed content.

you though, Jose, strike me as the type of kid that needs to try and impress others as a way of making yourself feel better. why would I want to go somewhere where they might not let me in. such as your (hey I'm cool) vip room.

And as for tuning my own car. no you got me there big man. I just leave it in the hands of a guy named DOUG LEVIN.maybe you've heard of him. he's probably just the best viper tuner you'll find in most of the fifty states. hey it costs a bit more than doing it myself, so i guess i'll have to skimp on the vip room and few bottles of cristal. I'll leave that to you Mr. South Beach.

as it turns out. all that you have implied is totally incorrect.

my friend isnt juicing his z06, my car was built by a viper guy that you could only one day aspire to be as good as. and no, I cant drive out of a paper bag. well , yes , I think maybee I could if it was big enough to hold the car, yeah , then I guess I could.

I will match my driving skills anyday on any track against yours. we can even rent stock vipers so we are evenly matched. loser picks up the tab. I think thats fair.

you shouldnt knock what you dont know. I have met a lot of very nice people thru the monthly vca meetings. And have done a few very profitable business deals by networking with the club members.If you change your mind, the meeting is held the first friday of each month at the Tower shops in davie. its only about 30 minutes from you in sobe. Plus a nice bonus is the south florida president has a nice reasturant and a few of the regulars go out for a nice dinner. maybe when you grow up you'll lose that ego of yours. so take care mr spanish zorro. just look me up whenever you want to take me up on that bet. since you're so confident i cant drive.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I used to hangout at parking lots and race when I was 18-24, not now that I am in my 30's. VCA compromises a whole series of events and each one of us can pick and choose what to attend, what to like.

I never aspire to be as good as a professional tuner, but my family (and me now) have been in the auto parts business for generations, so I know the ups and downs of an engine as well as, if not better than many "tuners" out there. And I will not list my exprience on track so you won't call me a show off, or ask me to scan certificates and take pics of trophies, lol!!

I do take pride in doing as many mods as I can myself. I think of my car as I would of my woman, I only want my hands on it!! (or another woman's ;) )

I do not need to prove anything, I am not the one flaunting money ("I'll pay anyone to race" 'nauseating'). I am sure nobody here needs your money to buy tires bro, we can buy them ourselves thank you!

And sure, I have time to go and rent vipers, race you just to prove a point... LOL!!! and you say I have something to prove!!!

So I suggest you take your money and put it to good use, on performance driving lessons.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure aerodynamics played a part at those high speeds too.

Remember, just because one car has a better coefficient of drag (cd) than the other, doesn't mean it is the more aerodynmaic. This is a misunderstanding by many.

Aerodynamics = cd * frontal area, NOT just cd.

Viper:

.39 (cd) * 19.3 sq ft (frontal area) = 7.527

Z06:

.34 * 22.3 sq ft = 7.582

As you can see, the Viper really is the more aerodynamic car, although by a very small margin.

It is the gearing, the weight, and the redline of the Z06 that makes it more supreior in the acceleration department.

Having both cars, I am willing to bet that it will take a Viper about 500 rwhp to just run even with a stock C6 Z06. This car (Z06) is very, very fast for a stock car.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i heard someone say the best time for a stock srt with a paxton is 11.3 or so. i think i'm probably a tenth or so faster because i have comp tires.maybee i will go with a header and no cats.for a little more bottom end. i like loud sounding stuff anyway

you seem to pull a lot of numbers out of your @$$...

OP
OP
M

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
michagan, you are correct sir it was sterling heights.

1TONY1 . i have a stock coupe with a stock paxton running low safe boost. 620rwhp is over 700 to the fly wheel. that is exactly what you get with the basic setup. i didnt notice the belt was slipping. doug levin did when i brought in to have him take a look at something else. he noticed something on it. that had nothing to do with the race.

i didnt post to brag about the vette i thought for sure i was gonna crush him. I have spoken to several tuners and car dealers that install what I have,Not to mention I'm in contact with doug levin all the time. htye all say that they have never seen a stock viper with a stock paxton run better then low 11's. that is all i can expect out of a mild stock boost.

my friend is trapping at 130mph with radials.

its not hard to see why he kept up with me and even pulled me from a roll in 2nd. there is only a 70hp difference to start. then take a few other factors in to play. my car is heat soaked from driving 2 hours straight in the hot noon sun. then i meet up with him. we both boost a few times getting to the race spot. so now i'm probably down 30 hp maybe more before we even start the first race. we roll in second he has lighter weight and longer gearing here. i have to shift to 3rd before 6k he rings it out to 7400rpm's before he shifts to 3rd. he goes from being down 1/2 a car to up 1/2 a car. its not like he killed me.
i was just surprised. but take into account from hear out. i'm losing hp as my engine and s/c get hotter. so we were probably almost evenly matched on hp by this time.

i just dont understand why you guys think there is no way a modded z06 with an excellent driver cant hang or even beat a stock srt with a stock paxton setup.

since i got my car back from being s/c i'm not used to anyone even hanging anywhere near me. however, my friends car is trapping 130 with a ****** 60 foot time and radials.

if he brings his 60 time down and puts on the drags, no way i can hang. i cant trap a stock paxton on a stock srt at 134 or 135.

trust me tony i'm not here because i like the z06. and i definatley dont like the fact that he will have bragging rights again.

i have not had it back on the dyno. i just got off the phone with doug and he is going to see what he thinks is my next step. i would love nothing more than to destroy that fing z06, he is my buddy, but he does constantly remind you if you lose to him.

tony i can roast them if i get help by dumping the clutch.
my car is running as fast as it should for what it is. simply all stock with stock paxton and low boost. i purposley didnt want the boost gauge(wife). doug says it dosnt matter when you only run 6lbs of boost.

I certainly didnt mean to cause all the chaos.

also remember i want safe long lasting hp. my z06 friend has been known to break [******] all the time. he had a 03 with 650rwhp, but something was always going wrong. i dont want that to happen to me. mine is a daily driver.

thanks for the help and input guys. I will get with DLM and see what can be done. also tony his car is no where near just stockish. first off with no mods the z06 edges out the viper. and he is not really smaking me around.1/2 car or 1 car is not total devistation. but you could take him all day with that 9.55 @ 144. maybe you could come down here and beet up on him for me. he really hates getting beet.

OP
OP
M

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey plumcrazy since you have a dlm s/c coming soon why dont you pull his phone # out of my ass and call him and ask him what is the best time he has ever heard laid down on a gen3 all stock with stock paxton and safe boost.then after you called and asked him can you shove his # back up my butt just so i have more stuff to pull out.thanks

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
he really hates getting beet.

You can give him carrots instead ;-)

Sorry, had to...

Buddy, you need to open up the exhust, you don't need Dough Levin to tell you that. that engine is CONSTIPATED, eating too much but cannot expel the by-products.
Get Mopar Off-road and you are all set. I recall someone in here saying that it even comes with O2 sims.
From there on, I'd go with 1.7 Roller Rockers, and a ECM tuned specifically for a SC engine.

Don't let them sucker you into more expensive, less H.P. mods.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driver-Schmiver - if you are in the correct gear for a given speed and you both have the car floored and the other car is pulling ahead it means the other car is faster, not that the other drive is better. Now add in starting from a stop, or from a sub-optimal gear (requiring downshift) and having to overcome that handicap - now you are talking about driving.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
hey plumcrazy since you have a dlm s/c coming soon why dont you pull his phone # out of my ass and call him and ask him what is the best time he has ever heard laid down on a gen3 all stock with stock paxton and safe boost.then after you called and asked him can you shove his # back up my butt just so i have more stuff to pull out.thanks

Jesus... somebody needs a hug and some love... get off the juice dude!

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, My mods on the GT were done locally here in NM, but I am sure Doug can do it. Don't even worry about it some people like to stir the ***. I would have the regular pulley put back on to 8psi. You will be fine and you can get her up to 680 to 705rwhp. Doug built a 900rwhp on pump gas Viper for me he is a good guy. By the way it is for sale 105 or best offer.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure aerodynamics played a part at those high speeds too.

Remember, just because one car has a better coefficient of drag (cd) than the other, doesn't mean it is the more aerodynmaic. This is a misunderstanding by many.

Aerodynamics = cd * frontal area, NOT just cd.

Viper:

.39 (cd) * 19.3 sq ft (frontal area) = 7.527

Z06:

.34 * 22.3 sq ft = 7.582

As you can see, the Viper really is the more aerodynamic car, although by a very small margin.

It is the gearing, the weight, and the redline of the Z06 that makes it more supreior in the acceleration department.

Having both cars, I am willing to bet that it will take a Viper about 500 rwhp to just run even with a stock C6 Z06. This car (Z06) is very, very fast for a stock car.

agreed. As for the gearing issue, The Viper has the taller gear but the Vette revs higher but with a shorter gear. Shouldn't that even things out a bit as far as holding a single gear goes? I think the Viper hits 58 mph in first while the Vette does 60 mph. Not that big of a difference IMO unless the difference grows with each gear change.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're comparing peak HP numbers with these two cars which really doesn't tell the entire story, and isn't enough to say one will be quicker/faster than the other. Even when comparing the peak HP numbers, the HP to weight ratio is still very close, about 5.63 vs 5.48..... take a look at this stock paxton SRT10 running 8psi:

http://www.dragtimes.com/2004-Dodge-Viper-Dyno-Results-Graphs-8990.html

The HP curve looks like a line here, its peak HP is only acheived at higher RPM's.....

This dyno sheet is from a stock C6 Z06 and has more of a curve up high:

http://www.dragtimes.com/2006-Chevrolet-Corvette-Dyno-Results-Graphs-8827.html

I would think the modified one is similar but with the curve higher up with the extra 100HP....

so even though power to weight is close, the Z06 could, on average, be making enough power over a greater usable RPM range than the supercharged viper making it a little faster....

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Z sounds like a monster. John I can not make it to the next meeting in SF at towers but I look forward to meeting you in the future. My Snake is at Doug's right now and I will get her back in a few weeks.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at both of my dyno sheets right now. I dynoed my bone stock Viper and Z06. This is a very general analysis as to why the Z06 is quicker than the Viper.

Let us look at the upper rpm range as that is where races will take place.

Viper @ 4,500 rpms = 400 rwhp
Z06 @ 4,500 rpms = 370 rwhp
Viper @ 5,000 rpms = 425 rwhp
Z06 @ 5,000 rpms = 400 rwhp
Viper @ 5,500 rpms = 430 rwhp
Z06 @ 5,500 rpms = 430 rwhp
Viper @ 6,000 rpms = 420 rwhp
Z06 @ 6,000 rpms = 440 rwhp

Viper shifts. Back @ 4,500 rpms = 400 rwhp
Z06 @ 6,500 rpms = 454 rwhp
Z06 @ 7,000 rpms = 450 rwhp
Z06 shifts. Back @ 5,500 rpms = 430 rwhp

Repeat with the Viper shifting....

As you can see, when the Viper shifts at 6,000 rpms, the Z06 will really start pulling away while having an ~54 rwhp advantage. When it is time for the Z06 to shift, it is still making more rwhp than the Viper at its given rpm. Remember, I am solely going by my stock Viper dyno (437 rwhp @ 5500 rpms) and my stock Z06 dyno (454 rwhp @ 6500 rpmws) Some cars can be weaker, some can be stronger.

This is just a quick, high-level analysis.

Remember, this is not considering the gearing nor the weight in which both characteristics favor the Z06.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, had to...

Buddy, you need to open up the exhust, you don't need Dough Levin to tell you that. that engine is CONSTIPATED, eating too much but cannot expel the by-products.
Get Mopar Off-road and you are all set. I recall someone in here saying that it even comes with O2 sims.
From there on, I'd go with 1.7 Roller Rockers, and a ECM tuned specifically for a SC engine.

whatTF would you get 1.7 rockers for when the car comes with 1.73?????? He said the Z06 traps at 130. there's no exhaust or a mopar pcm in the world thats gonna make the viper trap at that speed with a STOCK PAXTON sc. You should know whatTF your are talking about or ****
:hitfan:
Max

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Sorry, had to...

whatTF would you get 1.7 rockers for when the car comes with 1.73?????? He said the Z06 traps at 130. there's no exhaust or a mopar pcm in the world thats gonna make the viper trap at that speed with a STOCK PAXTON sc. You should know whatTF your are talking about or ****
:hitfan:
Max

The REDUCED FRICTION from the ROLLERS is the most significant H.P. gain here.
You do not want to be multiplying the lift too much at the rocker arms (1.8,1.9) especially with aluminum heads, puts stress on the studs and deforms the head on the long run.

Then, the absolute next step is a blower cam, with more lift, duration and less overlap than stock. The car would be a monster.

Of course, all of this is USELESS with stock exhaust. That's why I said exhaust is the first mod he needs.

But I am sure you knew all this, MAD MAX. :bonker:
GO back to reading hot rod, you got a long way to go pal... We'll just let people judge who "knows WhatTF they are saying" and "**** when you don't know." :2tu:

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What would 355 rear end gearing cost ? And a new exhaust ?
I tend to agree with those that to make the car quicker in a straight line then different rear gears can't do anything but help.
CB

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking at both of my dyno sheets right now. I dynoed my bone stock Viper and Z06. This is a very general analysis as to why the Z06 is quicker than the Viper.

Let us look at the upper rpm range as that is where races will take place.

Viper @ 4,500 rpms = 400 rwhp
Z06 @ 4,500 rpms = 370 rwhp
Z06 @ 5,000 rpms = 400 rwhp
Z06 @ 5,500 rpms = 430 rwhp

Viper shifts. Back @ 4,500 rpms = 400 rwhp
Z06 @ 6,500 rpms = 454 rwhp
Z06 @ 7,000 rpms = 450 rwhp
Z06 shifts. Back @ 5,500 rpms = 430 rwhp

Repeat with the Viper shifting....

As you can see, when the Viper shifts at 6,000 rpms, the Z06 will really start pulling away while having an ~54 rwhp advantage. When it is time for the Z06 to shift, it is still making more rwhp than the Viper at its given rpm. Remember, I am solely going by my stock Viper dyno (437 rwhp @ 5500 rpms) and my stock Z06 dyno (454 rwhp @ 6500 rpmws) Some cars can be weaker, some can be stronger.

This is just a quick, high-level analysis.

Remember, this is not considering the gearing nor the weight in which both characteristics favor the Z06.

So according to this data, Going to a steeper gear in the Viper would be counter productive. It would make you shift even sooner and reduce your top speed. It would multiply the torque but the Viper already has more torque and it doesn't seem to matter. Interesting. The Viper needs mor revs, which it's high displacement kills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang