08 Viper Motor Problem

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by SYNFULL, Sep 13, 2018.

1. SYNFULL

SYNFULL Viper Owner

So, I had a minor impact to the front of my viper. I was told that the oil cooler was damaged and replaced but now there is oil mixed with antifreeze throughout the motor. The radiator is being replaced as it is all filled with gunk. The car is in the body shop now but I want to take it to a mechanic to go over the engine. Can the motor be cleaned out using cleaners, or am I going to have big issues with the motor? If so I will try to get the adjuster to go for a new motor, but don't know if they will.
    Thanks!
    Gary

2. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

Your motor is shot, either the head gasket blew or a head cracked or worse the block, if the motor was running with the oil and antifreeze mix needs to be rebuilt anyway.

3. steve911

steve911 Viper Owner

Maybe NOT. The oil cooler uses coolant to cool the oil. Put a new cooler on it change the oil and drive it. The mere fact that there is antifreeze in the oil is NOT and automatic death sentence.

MICHAEL WILSON likes this.
  4. SYNFULL

SYNFULL Viper Owner

Oils cooler has been changed, radiator is being changed. Oil will be changed several times. Hopefully the motor is not shot. Car was only run for a few minutes.
    Thanks

5. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

I hope its OK to, but if it ran for some time that way, cross your fingers, If your Viper is a 99 the oil cooler is an external to air cooler, no oil lines go to radiator so the antifreeze is leaking into motor from the engine itself I have no idea on newer years. If the newer Vipers use antifreeze to oil coolers then you might be OK. It was just the cooler.

6. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

Yep, the newer cars use the coolant to cool the oil. It's actually the same cooler found in a Ford GT (the mid 2000's one at least) for those interested. I think some of the newer Vettes might use them too. Simple enough design.