MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
11 year prison sentence for stealing Rod Stewart\'s Yellow Viper

Man who stole Rod Stewart's sports car gets 11 years in plea deal

By John Coté
Staff Writer

June 30, 2005

Rod Stewart was not amused with Donald Michael Smith.

Neither was Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Jack Cook when he gave Smith 11 years in prison Wednesday after he pleaded guilty to charges that included stealing the singer's yellow Dodge Viper. Smith, 23, also pleaded to burglary and attempted ****** battery counts in a separate case in which he choked his neighbor, held her at knifepoint and said he "wanted to get naked with her."

Smith also was ordered to complete a drug treatment program after his release.

Before both incidents, he had been awake for days binging on ******* and the anti-anxiety medicine Xanax, public defender Christopher Taylor said. Smith deserved leniency because he confessed in both cases, didn't go through with the ****** assault and had shown remorse, Taylor added.

Smith had faced up to life in prison.

"I don't think any prison sentence less than 11 years would be appropriate," Cook said. "Your being on drugs is no excuse to impose that type of terror on [your neighbor] and her child."

Smith came to his Greenacres neighbor's door in the early hours of Nov. 24, 2004, and asked to use the phone, saying there was an emergency, prosecutor Darren Shull said. Inside the home, Smith held a knife to the woman's neck as her young daughter looked on and threatened to kill the woman, Shull said.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel is not identifying the woman or her daughter because of the nature of the charges.

"He scared me," the girl, who was 4 at the time of the attack, told the judge. "He scared my mommy a lot."

The woman said Smith had shattered her sense of security and exposed her daughter to something she "would never want her to see on TV, let alone happen to her in her own home."

"He took my daughter out of my arms," the woman said. "I watched my 4-year-old daughter scream, `He's going to kill my mommy. He's going to kill my mommy.' ... My daughter screamed in such a way I never heard before."

Smith had the young girl placed in a bathroom and then told the mother he "wanted to get naked with her," Shull said. The woman convinced him not to go through with the ****, telling Smith he had a girlfriend who loved him and he was acting crazy.

"Those words made him stop," the woman said.

The assault came as Smith's drug use was "out of control," Taylor said, and was the culmination of erratic behavior that included stealing Stewart's car about five months earlier when Smith worked as a landscaper at the entertainer's Palm Beach home.

Smith was fired from the job the morning of July 2, 2004, for "loafing," his boss told police. Smith then drove off in Stewart's Dodge Viper, which had the keys in it, according to the police report.

The sports car was found several hours later abandoned near a canal off Kirk Road west of Lake Worth. It had more than $15,000 worth of damage to it, Shull said. The report indicates body damage to the passenger side and front bumper. Smith was ordered to pay for the damage.

Smith had been using ******* and Xanax for two days, Taylor said.

"He does not remember taking the car," Taylor said. "Mr. Smith, in both of his cases, it's clear he's in a downward spiral because of his drug use."

Stewart was not in court Wednesday. In a terse statement to police after the car was taken, he wrote: "[Someone] stole my Viper. I'm not amused."

John Coté can be reached at [email protected] or 561-832-6550.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 11 year prison sentence for stealing Rod Stewart\'s Yellow Viper

11 years for holding a woman and her daughter at knifepoint. Yep, that's our justice system. :rolleyes:

He will spend a couple years in jail and be out before he's thirty.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And the next time he'll be sure to kill the victim so there won't be a witness. Scumbag. There will be a next time too.

HIBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Should of got more time!! POS!! :confused:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't even know he had a Viper, he never comes to any of our events. Does he have a RT/10 or GTS?

11 years for holding a woman and her daughter at knifepoint. Yep, that's our justice system.

I thought you were going to say that's Palm Beach County Justice system.

Maverick, are you going to the Virginia Viper Days?

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I remember correctly, someone came up to him and one of his supermodel girlfriends as they were walking away from his Turbo Carrera, asked for the keys and stole that too about 25 years ago.
I think Rod is ready for a Dodge Magnum now at his age.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure most guys will agree. If that happened to our mom's, wives, gf's, there wouldnt have ever been the need for a trail. Except one for us!

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
Rod Stewart can drive a Viper?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe its converted to automatic transmission and has a modified trunk for his wheelchair.

OP
OP
M

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Andrew,

Would love to go to Vir Viper Days event but it is the same weekend I have to go to Maine to visit my two kids at summer camp. They are there for 7 weeks and I can't miss it.

ARe you going or is anyone going from Florida?

Charlie

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've gone back and forth a few times. As it stands right now I'm not. But the day is young.

I think Jerry with the black SRT is going.

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ferrari's, Lambo's, Porsche's, and Vipers? Wow. Some guys do have all the luck. ;)

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

11 years for holding a woman and her daughter at knifepoint. Yep, that's our justice system. :rolleyes:

He will spend a couple years in jail and be out before he's thirty.

Yea, he should have just slole a Billion dollars from investors like the Health South CEO, seems like "victimless" (?) white collar crime is also "punishless" in our system of justice.