1996 GTS

ducgsxr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm a flight instructor for the Navy down in South TX. I've been lurking for a while learning and figuring out which model Viper I want. I've owned and tracked various Porsche's and Vette's over the years. This is my first snake. I've found a stock, one owner '96 GTS with 25k miles for mid $30's. Recalls done. Only issue so far is a 2 inch crack on the forward hood near headlight. Seems like a great car, but I'm having a pre-purchase inspection arranged with an experienced tech. I plan on driving this car on a semi-daily driver basis. Fair price for the current market? Any thoughts?:usa:

Thanks,
Jeff

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price is right if the car looks and checks out otherwise. Crack in paint or crack in hood? Need to be more specific about that or post a pic. That does not sound normal.

OP
OP
D

ducgsxr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The crack is just in the paint. The hood structure is intact. Could be a scratch. Or possibly the hood got over flexed when open? The hood looks to be a little delicate while it's open and up. Mabye wind?

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome price even in this market, but repainting of the hood may mean a few more thousand and if its the hood thats cracked then a little more on top of that. Post pics if you can and whats the last 5 on the vin...

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If it looks like a hair, then the crack is in the hood, not the paint ( most think it is just the paint ) , and should be repaired. Common on the Gen I cars, and does show up on some Gen IIs.

Involves patch, repaint, etc. so can add up.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or possibly the hood got over flexed when open?

more likely when closed, if you get the car, make sure you know the proper way to close the hood

if you do a search, there are several threads on cracked hoods

even coming from the cars you have had, you'll love owning a viper

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm a flight instructor for the Navy down in South TX. I've been lurking for a while learning and figuring out which model Viper I want. I've owned and tracked various Porsche's and Vette's over the years. This is my first snake. I've found a stock, one owner '96 GTS with 25k miles for mid $30's. Recalls done. Only issue so far is a 2 inch crack on the forward hood near headlight. Seems like a great car, but I'm having a pre-purchase inspection arranged with an experienced tech. I plan on driving this car on a semi-daily driver basis. Fair price for the current market? Any thoughts?:usa:

Thanks,
Jeff

That's a very fair price for the car. Are you stationed at Corpus Christi? I've driven a lot of Porsche events at Cabaniss NAS. That place was freaking AWESOME, but hell on paint jobs. I miss the place BADLY - mainly because I was beating the snot out of tube framed P-cars with my largely stock GTS.:headbang:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would NOT reveal anything ID-specific here, location VIN # etc, til it is parked in your hangar.....
>
>
>
>
Got it yet???

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the hood can be fixed/touched up to your satisfaction that is one thing and if you think it will need fixed/totally repainted that is another. It is hard to paint just from the white stripe over on one side of the hood and painting the entire hood and stripes can get expensive, particularly if you have to replace both side logos. You probably need to plan on 2 grand to repaint the hood correctly and replace the logos if that is what it is going to take to make you 100% happy with the car. The color can be a problem for some body shops also as they try to use their color match systems that replicate the metalflake with aluminum chips. The factory paint actually has stone mica chips. Getting the "flop" right can be a challenge if the painter is not experienced.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save yourself a lot of paint matching trouble and use Sikkens, the retail version of the original Akzo Nobel paint ASC used back in 1996. Everything else will be a nightmare of "close but no cigar".

Jon, I thought your comment was good advice.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
..........Jon, I thought your comment was good advice.

Thanks....... In this bastion of confidentiality, a lot of guys here even black-out their plate numbers. So if someone stumbles on a great deal and reveals the vin and location, it can certainly be taken advantage of behind their back. Ive seen it happen before....someone snipes the deal right out from under the guy who posts the newbee question!

So my advice stands...... I hope he got the car.....

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save yourself a lot of paint matching trouble and use Sikkens, the retail version of the original Akzo Nobel paint ASC used back in 1996. Everything else will be a nightmare of "close but no cigar".

Jon, I thought your comment was good advice.

sikkens is good paint, but PPG can match this color fine. I have painted many will no issues.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thanks,
Jeff

Oh never mind the VIN # I found it. I'm gathereing all 96' car #s to try and complete a list for my private collection but thanks any way... BTW, Beware of anything thats been replaced on the car. Make certain it was new from a reputable dealer, no junkyard stuff. (get receipts) You don't want a basket case down the road. Good Luck I hope you get the car.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks....... In this bastion of confidentiality, a lot of guys here even black-out their plate numbers. So if someone stumbles on a great deal and reveals the vin and location, it can certainly be taken advantage of behind their back. Ive seen it happen before....someone snipes the deal right out from under the guy who posts the newbee question!

So my advice stands...... I hope he got the car.....

Well, not so much good came out of this "reveal" :

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/632420-possible-fraud-warning.html