2008 Coupe - Should I Buy?

Cincy2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first post! I've been lurking here while looking for the right used Viper. I found a 2008 coupe with only 7500 miles. Doing my due diligence before I pull the trigger. Are there any idiosyncracies in the 2008's to look out for? The car appears immaculate. Never been on the track. Clean CarFax report. Being resold by the same dealer that delivered it new. My only problem with it is the racing stripe. It has to go. The dealer will repaint it for me. Anyone done this before? Are their issues with repainting the non metal parts and blending them with the factory paint? Any other advice?

Thanks,
Cincy

OP
OP
C

Cincy2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sandy,

Venom red metallic with white stripes. Ruins the look in my opinion.

Cincy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ask the dealer to run the VIN in your presence ...and review the report carefully, matching it against the Car-Fax...look at service history, etc. (cam sensor get changed??).

I'm a fan of most stripes...agree, that you may lose $$$$ on a removal/repaint...but, it will be YOUR car, not mine, to modify as you wish. If my memory is correct, about 30% of 2008's came in Venom Red...so there ARE stripeless versions out there.

You will really have fun with a Viper...so good luck with your hunt!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Steve and others are correct....................it will carry the stigma of a repaint, so no matter what you tell folks, many will be suspicious - hence value drop. Either keep it like it is or start looking around some more.

OP
OP
C

Cincy2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great inputs gentlemen. Located a 2008 convertible with only 1500 miles with no stripe. I've never driven a convertible. Can someone compare the road noise in a coupe vs convertible(top up)? How durable is the ragtop?

Cincy

Luna C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have one of the '08 Venom Red Verts. It's an AMAZING car. Best purchase I have ever made. The "Rag" Top is very durable. Easily cleaned. Buy the "RaggTopp" protectant. (Mine still looks new in spite of the pine pollen we get every spring. In reference to wind noise.... It's a VERT. There is noise. Windows up, top down on the highway and my wife and I can have a conversation without yelling across the car.
You won't be disappointed.
I reference to issues with the car. "0" since day one.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great inputs gentlemen. Located a 2008 convertible with only 1500 miles with no stripe. I've never driven a convertible. Can someone compare the road noise in a coupe vs convertible(top up)? How durable is the ragtop?

Cincy

after u buy the vert- i can sell u a new set of factory six spokes- cause they look killer on a vert---

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to remember is the vert has no rollover protection, the hoops are hollow and the tubes the outer rubber is mounted to are aluminum. My wife has a no stripe venom red vert and put in a painted to match Autoform rollbar that I think looks great. Other than that, she has loved the car and 20K later no problems.

Richard

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after u buy the vert- i can sell u a new set of factory six spokes- cause they look killer on a vert---

If you're not a track rat, you will actually buy 2 cars in 1 with the Vert, as driving top up or down makes it two different animals.
+1 on the 6 spokes, mine came with 5 spokes but I just had to switch.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

Cincy2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One thing to remember is the vert has no rollover protection, the hoops are hollow and the tubes the outer rubber is mounted to are aluminum. My wife has a no stripe venom red vert and put in a painted to match Autoform rollbar that I think looks great. Other than that, she has loved the car and 20K later no problems.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for that piece of information. I'm pulling the trigger on this car. Can't find anything better. The roll bar is a must have addition. How on earth did Dodge get away with this little bit of cost reduction?

Cincy

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Cincy

I have a 2005 Copperhead Convertible. Absolutely love the vert. I dont think I could go to a coup now, even tho there are a few ACRs and Aero Coups that I think are just stunning.
Almost never drove with the top up, except on really cold nights coming back from a run. Mind you, I live in SoCal, but its just an awesome car with the top down.
:2tu:
:usa:

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve and others are correct....................it will carry the stigma of a repaint, so no matter what you tell folks, many will be suspicious - hence value drop. Either keep it like it is or start looking around some more.

Bill - If I bought a solid colored ACR and had stripes painted on it (to factory specs), would this also cause the value to drop?

OP
OP
C

Cincy2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To All,

Thanks again for all the advice. I closed the deal on the 2008 convertible and will pick it up on Sunday.

[media]http://images.cars.com/supersized/DMI/113750/200356.jpg[/media]

Let the fun begin.

Cincy

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one of the '08 Venom Red Verts. It's an AMAZING car. Best purchase I have ever made. The "Rag" Top is very durable. Easily cleaned. Buy the "RaggTopp" protectant. (Mine still looks new in spite of the pine pollen we get every spring. In reference to wind noise.... It's a VERT. There is noise. Windows up, top down on the highway and my wife and I can have a conversation without yelling across the car.
You won't be disappointed.
I reference to issues with the car. "0" since day one.
I have one of the non-stripe Venom Red Coupes. (OK,, this is my 2nd VR '08 Coupe since my dealership
wrecked my first one;))

Great car. Incredible color in the sunlight! Pics don't do it justice.

*Congrats on the '08! Be Real Careful with it for a while! These cars love to go sideways!:D

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To All,

Thanks again for all the advice. I closed the deal on the 2008 convertible and will pick it up on Sunday.

[media]http://images.cars.com/supersized/DMI/113750/200356.jpg[/media]

Let the fun begin.

Cincy

Beautiful car! And you are right. That color looks perfect without the stripes, especially in a vert.

V

Venomiss

Congratulations on your new ride!

Be sure to look up the reflash that was needed on some of the 08's.
There are threads in the search you can find on it along with a few others on fluids.

Drive safely and hope you can join us at VOI!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice choice. I probally would have went with the coupe. Then again Ive owned srt verts since 2007 so Im ready for a change

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Beautful car and welcome. I just got back from a 50-mile drive to essentially nowhere (just running local errands) in my 2003, and there I still can't get the grin off my face. Perfect weather today here in Chester County, PA.

Get out there and enjoy that car. Drive it! These cars are meant to be driven.

billjr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the '08! :drive: Nice Color! I must say i do like my White stripes:) also 2008! Good luck with new ride!

Attachments

• P1000058.jpg
    P1000058.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
C

Cincy2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To All,

The 08 BEAST is now in my garage. What an adventure. Drove four hours to Pompano Beach to pick it up. Love at first sight. The car is absolutely pristine. Brand new everywhere. The only issue was the Tire inflator/leak stopper was missing. The salesman is going to ship me a new one.

As soon as I signed the papers, the clouds moved in and the skies opened up. Couldn't enjoy the top down experience on the way home Drove through some of the worst rain I can remember. Just a little disconcerting. Six hundred horsepower beast under me and I can't see to the end of the front hood. Managed to survive.

A few driving impressions.

The air conditioner struggles to keep up with the Florida 96 degree heat and the massive engine thermal load. I couldn't care less!

The shift pattern takes some getting use to. Couldn't find sixth gear for a while. Another thing. I had the engine in sixth, doing 70mph and I glanced at the tacho. Great Caesar's Ghost! Only 1250 rpm at 70mph. What RPM range do you guys use on a Gen 4 when cruising to keep it happy?

Felt a little silly clunking the drive train when upshifting. This tranny is a little tempermental. Are you using higher revs before up shifting? Didn't clunk at all with down shifts.

Hear several noises in the dash that I'll get the Dodge folks to look at when I bring it in. The warranty is good until Feb next year.

Love the rumbling, gurgling exhaust noise on this machine. Great looking beast that turns heads everywhere. I hereby name her BIG RED.

Cincy

[media]http://images.cars.com/supersized/DMI/113750/200356.27.jpg[/media]

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll never get it to match when you remove the stripes and repaint. You'll always juuuust be able to tell.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Venom Red's a great color !!!. Get in touch with John Canal at the North/Central Florida Viper club ([email protected]) we'd love to see ya at the next meeting.

There's a good group of owners in the Tampa/Lakeland area !!:drive:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since you are not trying to do over stripes ( this is a super mess ), you could do stripes if you wanted, but even though we often do them for customers ( we have never gone over existing ones and redone them ), it is not going to increase the value, but I doubt there would be any decrease either.

The previous car with stripes would have entailed way too much work and cost . Frankly, I would just leave it alone, and enjoy the ride!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the clouds moved in and the skies opened up. Couldn't enjoy the top down experience on the way home Drove through some of the worst rain I can remember. Just a little disconcerting. Six hundred horsepower beast under me and I can't see to the end of the front hood. Managed to survive

These cars won't melt! I too drove through a monsoon for 100 miles a month ago out the PA Turnpike to Carlisle, and it was a bit unnerving. Just have to take your time and be careful, and you'll be fine.

As for 6th, I know in my 03 it is really useless under 70. I thought gearing had changed slight with the 08s on up? Essentially, we have a 4-speed with 2 overdrives. At any rate, minor quibble, you now have one of the best-looking, highest-performance cars in the world!