2008 Detail information

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by Marv S, Jan 14, 2007.

1. JonB

JonB Viper Owner

New colors for '08
    o Viper Violet (sort of a dark metallic iris color, almost like the Sapphire color)
    o Venom Red (metallic maroonish color)
    o Snakeskin Green (metallic lime green)
    o Viper GTS blue
    o B5 Blue (light metallic blue)
    o Viper red (the regular solid red color)
    o Viper orange (solid orange)
    o Black

Stripe colors are white, silver, or charcoal. There will NOT be a GTS blue w/white or a Red w/white combo offered as those were supposed to be limited editions (First Edition and VCA Edition coupes).

This should result in 30 possible paint schemes, plus 3 wheel options = EVERY '08 WILL BE A RARE COMBO!

2. JonB

JonB Viper Owner

Yes....apparently the lights come back on at CAAP mid next month.....

3. N2 Vipers

N2 Vipers Enthusiast

When will we be able to see some real pictures of the new colors on real cars??

4. doctorbob

doctorbob VCA Member - UT/AZ

Just a note...when I looked at the red 2008 viper at Luke Days....the front driver's visor had a information document with description of the car and price...86,995.

5. MoparMan

MoparMan Enthusiast

Bob, was that a coupe or a convertible? Which options did it have?

6. rcl4668

rcl4668 Enthusiast

doctor bob -- thanks for the information; like the previous poster, I am curious: Where was this event (is this the Viper vs. Viper event? Was this a coupe or convertible?

The reason I ask is that the pictures from the Viper vs. Viper event (Viper vs. an F-16 fighter) showed only a black 2008 coupe, not a red one.

Thanks again for the info!

Also, for anyone else who has knowledge of how Dodge does its pricing, if $86,995 is the correct MSRP, any rough idea of what the invoice price of the car will be? Thanks.

/Rich

7. Marv S

Marv S VCA Member - UT/AZ

Re: 2008 -Durability testing info

The VCA was able to go out to the AZ Proving Grounds as part of the Viper vs Viper event for a tour and autocross. The tour highlighted the durability testing of the '08 Viper.

They brought out a black coupe that was going through "drag cycles". A process of using the 2.5 mile straight track at the proving grounds and running the car through the lower gears - wot - shifting at ~5800rpm - without lifting off of the gas during the shifts :eek:

800 cycles for the test.

'08 has a new motor- new trans- new diff. Durability takes a package approach and DC wants to know it will hold up. Thx DC.

8. Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR Viper Owner

That's what we pay for :2tu:

Good job SRT/DCX

9. doctorbob

doctorbob VCA Member - UT/AZ

On Sunday, most of the viper attendees went to the autocross at the proving grounds. I had other obligations and picked up my car at Luke on Sunday. In the morning they had a solid viper red 2008 coupe parked next to the general's jet and the information was on the visor of that car.

10. troyrt10

troyrt10 Viper Owner

"Are they making both coupes and verts in 08?"

Yes! They have them both pictured in the MotorTrend I have.

11. Tusc

Tusc Enthusiast

I haven't been following the developments with the '08 cars. Are they remaining the same bodystyle as the Gen3, or making some mid-production alterations? I know someone mentioned 600hp... is that confirmed?

12. viper77

viper77 Viper Owner

Any information on a date that we will be able to order the 08 and the options available? Would like to see what color interiors they are offering.
    Thanks in advance. :usa:

13. Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR Viper Owner

Any truth to a rumor of 680hp in 2009?

I heard it on a post but never before?

14. viper77

viper77 Viper Owner

That was an April Fools joke.

15. Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR Viper Owner

I saw that post but, this was a different one. Or was the rumor started from that April fools post?

16. Racer Robbie

Racer Robbie Viper Owner

MOPAR​
    05037836AA​
    OIL FILTER, NEW​

17. rcl4668

rcl4668 Enthusiast

FYI: in the latest VCA Notes (Spring 07), Maurice Liang reports that "[p]roduction [of the 2008 Viper Viper] is scheduled to begin in July, with shipments to begin in September. Despite all the improvements [to the Viper], the price is expected to remain close to the existing car's price."

The news regarding the price is great but I truly hope that the delivery schedule is conservative. I am first on the waiting list with my local dealer and it would be a bummer to have to wait till September, October or November to take delivery.

/Rich

18. MoparMan

MoparMan Enthusiast

A dealer here thought there would be an increase of no more than $1500 in the '08 (they probably don't know more than we do, so take it with a grain of salt), plus he did quote a production schedule that agreed with what Maurice wrote.

19. rcl4668

rcl4668 Enthusiast

Thanks. Good news on the price; bummer on the production schedule.

/Rich

20. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Enthusiast

Interesting. It even makes some sense. The production cost of the engine, transmission, clutch and rear end should be up a bit. I would guess that the hood is about the same although those speakerlike hood vents might increase the cost a little. There is also the cost of the flat tire kit, probably the same one as in the SRT8's. I think that the difference will be that the price will hold for many months with litttle or no discounting.

21. Peter Nielsen

Peter Nielsen Viper Owner

The number of vent slots decreases from 10 to 6. I think this may actually decrease the manufacturing cost. The black speakerlike mesh probably doesn't cost much in comparison to the actual hood.

Peter

22. ResumeSpeed

ResumeSpeed Enthusiast

Production for the '08 models will start on July 9th and run until July of '08, a standard 12-month model year. 2009 models start production a year from August and will most likely be the final year for the "ZB" generation.

23. Vipermann

Vipermann Viper Owner

Any idea if the 'B5 Blue' (light metalic) will be like a vette 'Nassau' blue???

24. MoparMan

MoparMan Enthusiast

Based on the name, I'd guess it will look like the B5 metallic blue put on many late '60s to early '70s Mopar muscle cars. A similar color was brought back in the form of Electric Blue (code PB5) on SRT-4s. Check out both the modern color and the color on older cars for an idea of what this blue should look like.

25. AviP

AviP Viper Owner

From Dodge today,
    "Fangs bared, the 2008 Viper will soon hit the streets. You'll feel the bite of Viper's 8.4-liter SRT10 engine with a bigger bore block, new cylinder heads and a phasing camshaft providing variable valve timing. This classic racing formula of higher airflow and higher engine speeds churns out a thrilling 600 horsepower. As an added kick, an exotic twin disc clutch, redesigned transmission and a new speed sensing limited slip differential improve the driving experience while containing all of the added power and torque of this incredible ride. "

Expect the price to be more! Dodge used the work exotic.

Any comments on the technology they mentioned?

26. rcl4668

rcl4668 Enthusiast

Avi --

The quote is consistent with previous press releases and articles discussing the new features of the 2008 Viper. I hope the term "exotic" does not translate to a huge price increase over the 2006 models.

I did a quick Google serach on the quote and couldn't find it. Could you direct me to the link? Thanks.

/Rich

27. rcl4668

rcl4668 Enthusiast

I'll answer my own question: The quote from Avi was contained in an e-mail from Dodge to folks who signed up for updates on the 2008 Viper. Nothing of substance in the e-mail such as price, etc.

/Rich

28. viper585

viper585 Viper Owner

Don't know if it is "old news", but the first 3 colors to be produced in the initial production will be Snakeskin Green, Viper Blue, and the new Dark Red.

29. rcl4668

rcl4668 Enthusiast

Do you know if the blue you mentioned is "Viper GTS blue" (the darker blue) or B5 Blue (light metallic blue)? Thanks.

/Rich

30. viper585

viper585 Viper Owner

The Dark GTS Blue. The Light Blue is scheduled to be the last color run first quarter of next year.