2008 Detail information

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice job, Chris. And Rich, just my opinion, but I like the black/blue with the standard bezel, as shown.

Smog Dog and Chris --

Thanks so much for the information and feedback. Regarding the look of the graphite consol bezel and the two-tone interior, only time will tell. I would not alter my order at this point anyway given that it could result in a delay of delivery of the car. Worst case scenario, the bezels are easily replaced after the fact.

/Rich

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the pistons in the 08 going to be the same? Would be great if they were going to go back to Forged :)

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the pistons in the 08 going to be the same? Would be great if they were going to go back to Forged :)

The information I have is that the rods are "[p]recision powder metal forged with cracked caps" whatever that means. I do no tknow about the pistons themselves, however.

From the Dodge press release:

"Within the cylinders, pistons are equipped with larger-diameter floating pins with bronze bushings for high-load capability. Forged powder-metal connecting rods are secured with aircraft-quality fasteners for increased fatigue strength."

/Rich

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2k, is that good or bad? Wondering what the cars potential will be with a Blower or TT set up.

Jason

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wouldn't worry about a blower or turbo set-up as you have a 10.2 compression ratio, a computer that works 10,000 faster than the previous one, and Variable Valve timing. Most of the engineers figure it will be a year or two before anyone comes out with a reliable , well tested product.

Not as easy a fix as on the current models, and Chris is correct the pistons are out of the 6.1 Hemi.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine too. Post what you ordered for us to see. I ordered a Viper Black Clearcoat with Red stripes.

Flash

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Have the dealer 3M your sills before you drive off with your new 08's. I think it should be done at the factory.

My 05, with less than 10k miles on it are so chewed up I don't even wax underneath them anymore. 3M-ing the nose and mirrors is a good idea as well but, the sills are a must. IMO

I’m really not trying to be a nice guy. It’s just that I may one day be buying one of your 08's.:D

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have ANY idea what the 'ARCH' color bezel option is ???

It's lighter than the Graphite bezel, more of an aluminum finish.

2008_early_DCX_bezel_options.jpg

/Rich

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in!

On order: 'B5' Viper Blue with White stripes, Blue/Black interior and graphite bezel. Counting the days.

Last edited:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He ordered a B5 blue(which is the lighter blue color) with white stripes and I assume as a coupe. You could have ordered a GTS Blue convertible with white stripes but not a GTS blue coupe.

BlackCrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got notice from my dealer...Graphite bezel dash delays order till october...This may be old news since I haven't read all posts ...but added the Nav to my order which was no delay...but again as mentioned ...Graphite dash..is Oct ETA ..Which was cool with me .

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet presentation, thanks for the link. 2 things stuck out at me 1) Wierd the gen3 has a better torque curve through much of the graph. 2) where does that extra 75 hp come from on the mopar parts version (and why did they hold back!?)

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nsane1 --

I think when DCX was developing the new engine a conscious decision was made to increas revs/airflow/idle smoothness but that the feeling was the 2008 did not need increased low-end torque.

Regarding the 75 hp gain, I think the 2008 motor has been conservatively rated at 600. I have seen an earlier thread of from our VCA officers who saw the dyno run on the 2008 motor and it was actually generating in the 610-20 hp range. Finally, I am hoping that the bulk of the hp gains on the Mopar Concept Coupe came from the Mopar headers, exhaust and cold air intake.

/Rich

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich-

Thx for the reply. That's kind of my question (andI agree with your hope that the bolt-ons garner the gains), there's all those slides around the headers, the exhaust, and the intake, how could it be possible, with all the effort and work, you could gain a further 75 by these parts, that they conceivebaly (per these slides) put all this work into...

One slide caught my attention, the exhaust slide.. It labeled them exhaust 1-5 (7?). Maybe they went with the mid-range ones, and as a part of a money grab, will sell the high powered ones later...??

Greg

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich-

Thx for the reply. That's kind of my question (andI agree with your hope that the bolt-ons garner the gains), there's all those slides around the headers, the exhaust, and the intake, how could it be possible, with all the effort and work, you could gain a further 75 by these parts, that they conceivebaly (per these slides) put all this work into...

One slide caught my attention, the exhaust slide.. It labeled them exhaust 1-5 (7?). Maybe they went with the mid-range ones, and as a part of a money grab, will sell the high powered ones later...??

Greg

The exhaust manifolds could be better but the package is very tight when installing the powertrain into the vehicle. A lot of work went into optimizing the design but there is no comparison to a set of headers.

Some engine calibration work will be needed to run headers on this package. Hopefully Mopar will step up to the plate.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nsane1 --

Regarding the 75 hp gain, I think the 2008 motor has been conservatively rated at 600. I have seen an earlier thread of from our VCA officers who saw the dyno run on the 2008 motor and it was actually generating in the 610-20 hp range.
/Rich

I don't think they (Dodge) ever actually claimed a "+75hp gain." I remember reading the car put out a claimed 675hp -- and it is just that we fanatics that have quickly concluded a +75hp gain, based upon the preliminary 600hp estimate. But the 675 might possibly also be function of a true 615hp base, and a +60hp gain ... we'll soon see

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think they (Dodge) ever actually claimed a "+75hp gain." I remember reading the car put out a claimed 675hp -- and it is just that we fanatics that have quickly concluded a +75hp gain, based upon the preliminary 600hp estimate. But the 675 might possibly also be function of a true 615hp base, and a +60hp gain ... we'll soon see

I agree. I guess the bottom line for me is once these parts (Mopar CAI, Mopar headers, Mopar exhaust (or another high-quality exhaust such as Belanger) are installed on my 2008, I would like a car that is generating at least 630 flywheel hp. I would be very happy with 650 hp range and if the car is actually generating more (675-700 hp) I would of course be thrilled but I am not expecting that. Whether these target numbers are achieved from the parts alone or from the fact that Chrysler was conservative with their hp numbers on the stock 2008 motor and we are starting with a higher "base" hp figure of 610-620 hp does not really matter to me.

Even this speculation is kind of fun though.

/Rich

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I want to know is this - when are we going to hear an honest SOTP review from someone who has actually DRIVEN ONE!!!

I just want to hear alll about it!!!

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich-

Greg

that is a comparison between exhaust ports 1-5.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand why the torque below 4000 is less than the genIII engine due to the variable valve timing. My question is do you think it will be noticeable?

I love the instant power at mid range on my current car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper