3.73 Gears - Myth, Fantasy & Reality

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mechanic is recommending 3.73 gears for my 04 (only other changes will be K&N and Corsa).

The vehicle will rarely-if-ever be used on the highway. It will be used chiefly in the `burbs and in heavy traffic.

Several have mention that the 3.73 transfers too much power for functional driving in the city. This seems counter-intuitive (to me) since the 3.07 feels very unsuited for city driving.

Input much appreciated,

Alice

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have done a ton of 3.73 and 3.55 gears swaps on the 03/04s.Number of complaints is now hitting a resounding .........ZERO ! Either way is a good way to go for city driving.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice -

Who did you end up using around town? I know you'd had some challenges finding someone in the area... but I'm always looking to hear about other folks that do good work in GA.

Thanks!

Oh yeah... my .02... I had 3.73's on my old supercharged mustang and that was a handful around town... 3.07 isn't bad around town at all, but 5th and 6th gear are worthless.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with either choice... I think there was a thread a while ago about what gear went up to what speed with 3.55 vs. stock vs. 3.73... that might be more telling. Let me see if I can find it...

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=454390&Forum=All_Forums&Words=3.55%20speed&Match=Or&Searchpage=0&Limit=250&Old=allposts&Main=454376&Search=true#Post454390

No... that isn't it, though it is a silimar discussion...

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=422852&Forum=All_Forums&Words=3.55%20speed&Match=Or&Searchpage=4&Limit=250&Old=allposts&Main=422852&Search=true#Post422852

JD

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JD:

I went with Marietta Dodge. Very responsive, and they have done a lot. They suggested the 3.73, the K&N, and they felt that larger cats were not needed with the Corsa.

I had a GTO with a 4.33 in the past. I found it ideal for the City...not so much for the highway.

By contrast, I do not like the 3.07 stock ratio at all. It has a bland feel (to me) and living in 3rd gear is rather boring.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Alice

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought... gears are a substite for lack of power. If you go w/ too steep a gear you'll stop taking advantage of the Vipers torque. Not that I have any experience with them, but it seems that a 3.55 gear would be a good choice for more acceleration, but 3.73's and over might not be too good for traction.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that is the frustration. There appears to be two schools of thought...the deeper gear may be ideal...the deeper gear may make the car more difficult to manage.

Alice

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2 cents

If you ever pull up to a 911 twin turbo on a cool day and go from a dead stop you will be beat with 373's while he is making 4 wheel traction you will be spinning 1st and 2nd b/c the over kill gearing

also if you ever race 1/4 mile you will have to make 1 extra shift into 4th

The only way I can see putting in 373's is if your going to use slicks.

ps
welcome to the club and enjoy your new beast

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dmitry:

There appears to be a great polarity on the opinion of 3.73. Equal number in both camps. It is a hard call.

Alice

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice.
Some of the discussion is based on earlier cars. On the previous generations road racers choose 3:32's for extra pulling power off the corners, 3:54's were the conprimise, and 3:73 were a little too much.
The SRT's on the other hand have a slightly larger wheel diameter, further enhancing the "overgeared" effect. Due to this, either the 3:54's or the 3:73's will be satisfactory.
The decision is personal. The 3:73's will make the car a little more wild, while the 3:55 seem to be the Goldilocks ratio.
Both will allow you to cruise in 5th or 6th gear, so no harm will be done.
Anguish no more Alice. Look into your soul, make the decision, and move forward. Both choices are fine.
I chose the 3:55 and am very happy.
On a positive note, make sure the new gear set is provided with the new hardened and spiral cut pins. This was a weak spot on the stock gear sets.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your the 1st person to spell my name right omg lol

vd..

also the run flat tires **** in the cold you have be real careful b/c its real easy to break those hockey puks loose. and loose control

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.73's bad choice. As Dmitry said, slicks only, and even then if you build the car up, you'll run out of gear to soon, or be out of the power band to quick. I'm really not to crazy about the 3.55, as I think a 3.33 is perfect.

3.73's may sprint good, but the car will be very short winded. You would need cat like reflexes to time your shift's.

Skip White

ps, Alice, really it's not equal in opinions, the 3.55 would be the choice three to one over the 3.73

Skip White

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VD -

re: shifting into 4th... I have stock gears (3.07) and I have to shift into 4th in the 1/4 mile. In fact, I practically hit the red line in 4th. Granted my motor isn't stock, but do stockers w/ 3.07 stay in 3rd through the traps?

JD

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are riding down the road...to Dairy Queen...you want to go forward. You do not want to do a wheelstand. It would still seem the 3.73 would meet that need.

But it would appear that the preponderance of advice leans heavily toward 3.55. It is not difficult to conceive of times when too much transfer to the pavement would be a very bad idea.

So, thank you to everyone, and 3.55 it is.

Alice

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mr dell
Here's for the stock 3.07's

Gear ~MPH RPM's
1st 62...6250
2nd 94...6250
3rd 128..6250
4th 165..6250
5th 221..6250
6th 226..4250

so you going 140mph 1/4? thats not the norm for a stock viper. lol most of that is wheel spin due to your almost 900 rwhp. If you go to 373 most likly you will slow down due to even more wheel spin.
p.s I copied this from one of snakeeyes posts, but its on the money

vd..

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run my car in third through the traps but only with decent traction and shifting at 6k. But i found that shifting at 5500 brought my times down from 12.0s to consistant 11.8s and 9s and a best last month of 11.64 and backed it up with an 11.66. In my opinion and experience shifting into forth is not a bad thing.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VD -

Thanks for posting the info... and you are right... this isn't exactly a "stock" viper. I never raced when the car was stock, so I've never had the pleasure of only 3 gears.

And even on my car, the shift light comes on at 5600... i tried it coming on at 5800 but i kept hitting the rev limiter...

Thanks again!!!

JD

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VD -

Thanks for posting the info... and you are right... this isn't exactly a "stock" viper. I never raced when the car was stock, so I've never had the pleasure of only 3 gears.

And even on my car, the shift light comes on at 5600... i tried it coming on at 5800 but i kept hitting the rev limiter...

Thanks again!!!

JD

Hopefully after the winter I will have those same problems as you ;) ;) ;)

vd..

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Tators put on 3.55's on my 04! Big difference, love em! I'm now having 3.73's installed on my 05 VCA Special Edition. I asked Chuck he doesn't seem to think it will be that drastic. This way i can have Both. Why not go for the 3.73's I really didn't like the stock gears, not around here in CT. Best thing would be to find someone in your area to try both. Good luck

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is another reality. If you plan more serious mods that will increase your hp and torque, the 3.55 will not be a good idea because of traction etc

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan:

Were not others saying the opposite: `You can use 3.73, but if you increase horsepower, it will break loose to easily.'

Alice

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for 3.55s. It leaves you some room for if you add more power later.

I had 4.10s in my last Corvette, and put 3.55s in the Viper.
The 3.55s feel MUCH better around town, and 5th is actually a usable gear, with 6th still able to comfortably cruise on the freeway.

Viperdriver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 5th gear at 2000 rpm there is a 2.97 mph difference between 3.73's and 3.55's. At 4000 rpm ther is a 5.9 mph difference. 4000 rpm in 5th is 117 mph with 3.73's.

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"If you add more HP it will break your rear end loose"(3.73's)! Personally i don't see the need for more HP if you add the gears! For the few oportunities i get to use a track its just not worth it. Here in CT NY area way to much traffic to really open it up often. JMO

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck:

As you can see, the discussion continues, spurred to some extent by driving styles, performance needs, and environments. It has been interesting.

Thanks,

Alice

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
Viper D
If you ever pull up to a 911 twin turbo on a cool day and go from a dead stop you will be beat with 373's while he is making 4 wheel traction you will be spinning 1st and 2nd b/c the over kill gearing

also if you ever race 1/4 mile you will have to make 1 extra shift into 4th

The only way I can see putting in 373's is if your going to use slicks.

ps
welcome to the club and enjoy your new beast

If your running 3.73 in the 1/4 mile you'll be in 5th.

HEMOTOX If you do go with the 3.73 you will be doing alot of shifting for around town driving.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, Alice, you are doing all the standard stuff. Now what are you going to do for an encore? You gots to be ready for the new z06. Intensive planning and scheming is mandatory. :D :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang