4 point harness for 06 Coupe

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may have been covered before. If so, sorry! I want to install 4 point harness for track days in my 06 Coupe. Any suggestions on install and where to buy? Can you use the child seat latches as upper mounts? I need to do this ASAP. Thanks!

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can probably get some good info if you do a search on "harnesses" or "belts" on the forum. I have used Teamtech on my 2006 and will have them installed on my 2008 as well. For maximum safety, I would recommend using a six-point harness. If you are a VCA member, you can get an additional discount from Jon B at Partsrack.com.

Here's a pic of my harnesses on the 2006:

car_3.jpg

/Rich

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT-10 comes from the factory with the mounting points already installed for a Team Tech 6 point harness.

Call Jon B at Parts Rack. He has the best prices I've seen on these.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This may have been covered before. If so, sorry! I want to install 4 point harness for track days in my 06 Coupe. Any suggestions on install and where to buy? Can you use the child seat latches as upper mounts? I need to do this ASAP. Thanks![ /quote]

If you plan to sit in the child seat YES !!!!!!

If you need to do this ASAP please call me ASAP (dont wait til Monday!)

A 4-pt will not pass tech at any race venue that requires 5pt or better. As noted corrcetly, the SRT10 is pinned for 6pts...we have a DVD video install avail with purchase of TeamTech harnesses. And printed instructions may even be on this site as well.

DONT SHORTCUT SAFETY. Please call

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, spoke with Jon. Great guy. This guy knows his stuff...they are even able to custom build the harness to fit a HANs device. I ordered 6 point on drivers side, and for those days we do charity ride alongs, he made a great suggestion of a 4 point for the passenger side which I ordered as well. He was even able to make some great suggestions on which harness style to buy based on what I told him. He was also the first guy to get my joke about the child seat latches! For those who don't know me, I have a WC Comp Coupe which is painted to match my FE 06 Coupe.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an FYI some clubs(PCA) require that instructor/passenger(if allowed) must have the same type/level of restraint as driver, if you run theses events and have a passenger or instructor you may have to use your stock belts.

FSTENUF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have them in my 01. And Jon was the way to go. fast fair and most of all new what would work for the track and street. best of all i use them for all my driving now, just feels like you are more into the ride with them cranked down on your shoulders.:drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just an FYI some clubs(PCA) require that instructor/passenger(if allowed) must have the same type/level of restraint as driver, if you run theses events and have a passenger or instructor you may have to use your stock belts.

"Same Level of Protection" is also an unwritten, suggested policy in VRL-Viper Days! But a Multi-Point harness achieves this. Fore example, a driver might have 6-7 or even an 8-point harness and a HANS. The instructor or rider may have a 4-5-6 and no HANS.

PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAG-ON CARS (As Brian says he will run) are providing excellent protection with a 4pt. There is no steering column or pedals on passenger side to submarine under.... and Brian is a race-licenced driver who was currently taking charity passengers with OE belts only. The 4pt is EASY to adjust correctly for rider after rider.... as in charity events Brian is doing. A 6pt reguires a lot more adjusting-tightening to fit multiple riders.....and ends up 'too loose' on a casual 1-time rider. But the DRIVER just adjusts theirs ONCE.

I also run the 4pts in my Pace Cars for passsengers......Easy, fast., and TIGHT. As a sometime-PCA instructor I would not refuse a 4pt right-seat in a street car on track!

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are a few companies that market DOT approved 4 point harnesses for the street also which would indicate what Jon is saying it correct. I on the other handhave replied on this before stating that you should not use this type or any type of tight harness on the street. The potential for head and neck injuries in an accident are too great because your torso cannot move side to side it it needs to.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few companies that market DOT approved 4 point harnesses for the street also which would indicate what Jon is saying it correct. I on the other handhave replied on this before stating that you should not use this type or any type of tight harness on the street. The potential for head and neck injuries in an accident are too great because your torso cannot move side to side it it needs to.

Interesting comment; I guess my question would be does this logic then apply to HPDE, autocross or track days? I will have six-point Teamtechs installed for both driver and passenger/instructor on an 08 Viper. Do you think it's safter to use a conventional three point lap belt for HPDEs? For me, it's a bit of a moot point because I also plan to get a HANS device, HANS-compatible helmet and to have Jon B contact Teamtech to modify the harnesses to make them HANS compatible. But still, your comment opens up an interesting discussion.

/Rich

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Agreed Mark....When I drive on the street, airbags ON, and I use my harnesses, I have them adjusted loosely enough to reach the A/C, Radio, and window controls, and reach the DOOR LATCH WIDE OPEN. I ALSO WEAR MY INERTIAl REEL OE BELT! This further allows me to impact any airbag deployed, rather than be stopped 100% by the harness. The PADDED HARNESS is energy absorbing as well, a safer "sudden stop" than raw nylon.

The REAL ISSUE of being harnesssed in an airbag car, is those with side airbags.

If your body is held firm, your neck can snap aggressively SIDEWAYS in a lateral crash or rollover. An airbag is 'wasted" if it cannot reach you / save you / catch you. It would be 'better" if your whole spine slid laterally and slowed as a unit, rather than whip-crack your neck sideways. I have personally seen 2 head-on VIPER crashes where the occupants were wearing HARNESSES and they (unhurt) had to push-deflate the BALLOONED AIRBAG becasue NO BODY HIT THE BAGS !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960