6 Point Seat Belt Install

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the 3" 6 point Snake Oyl silver seat belt harnesses installed.

To save the embroidery mats for car shows I got, for every day driving, silver & black mats that seem to match ok-especially the pedals. I like the black embroidery mats the best.

The shoulder pads match the car color much better than in the pic.

belts.jpg

100_0117_edited-1.jpg
100_0120_edited-2.jpg

Reaction score
I think the submarine straps are in wrong Hiss. They will not help you unless they are mounted at the rear seat track bolts and you should be sitting on the straps when you buckle up. This cups your lower body so you don't slip under the belts across your lap. Not as practical for everyday but the only way they will actually work.

Remember that you should never really wear this type of harness on the street as it will not allow you to move your upper body in a crash that may invlove a roll over thus causing major head and neck trauma.

Mark Jorgensen

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember that you should never really wear this type of harness on the street as it will not allow you to move your upper body in a crash that may invlove a roll over thus causing major head and neck trauma.

Mark Jorgensen
If you're wearing the shoulder straps and don't have a roll bar in the car, you're risking breaking your neck whether the roll over occurs on the street OR the track. That's why certain sanctioning bodies like the NHRA require the roll bar to be a certain distance above your head. Otherwise, what good is it? And since the majority of harnesses are not DOT approved, you're also risking getting a ticket although I don't think I've ever heard of it happening.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark - My son did most of the install-so we will check this out. If I had this to do over again I don't know if I would install them or not.

I don't wear them much on the street. I just tuck the driver side straps away for every day driving. Hardly ever have some one in the passenger seat but when I take the Viper to our club car shows the passenger side belt gives it more of a balanced look.

I will be at the drag track soon & will use the belt.

Question-Does the coupe have a roll bar built in??

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
"Question-Does the coupe have a roll bar built in??"

That's a good question. I have heard answers both ways. I'd like to know what type of roof support, if any, is present in the SRTC and the GTS.

Also, you should be sitting on your submarine belts as Mark says.

Dan:drive:

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of interesting pics I found of a 2006 coupe shell(or what ever you call it) with a bar on it. This was for sale on ebay a few months ago and the seller said it was for the 2006.

Seems to me the bar does not extend down to the frame rail in order to be considered a roll bar. So possibly this is just a brace/mount for the hard top.

ROLL_BAR.JPG

BAR_2.JPG

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all the stock roll bar in the SRT is a joke. The sticker on the door says it all. I bought the safety harness from snake oyl and installed them. way, way to much belt for the car. They look good but really lock you inplace. going back to my orginal belts. I also installed the Autoform Roll bar a bit safer but, I don't know it the door posts would hold up since there is no steel in them. Draw a line from the Autoform roll bar to the front of the hood and I think if your upside down your dead.

Reaction score
Yes it is tough to get a roll bar in the Viper that is really going to protect you in a roll over that still lets the top work properly. Without lowering the seat to the floor and having the top of the bar well above your helmet you are still at a great risk.

I can understand the need for the look though, it does really make the interior look awesome with the belts installed.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to use these for protection / safety, please reinstall the anti-sub straps to the same connection points as the lap belts, lay them over your seat, sit on them and then bring them up between your legs - and I hate to say this - like a diaper. Having them drape around the front of your seat is improper installation and will not help with submarining, nor will they hold you in your seat for spirited driving. Also - they will not pass tech at a HPDE event.

Belts are great - but only if installed properly.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently, the Snake Oyl instructions indicate that the belts are supposed to be installed over the front of the seat.

I think that the Snake Oyl folks are a bit confused here, as Janni is correct. The belts won't work if they are installed that way.

If you are going to use these for protection / safety, please reinstall the anti-sub straps to the same connection points as the lap belts, lay them over your seat, sit on them and then bring them up between your legs - and I hate to say this - like a diaper. Having them drape around the front of your seat is improper installation and will not help with submarining, nor will they hold you in your seat for spirited driving. Also - they will not pass tech at a HPDE event.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I agree 100%. As an ICSCC tech inspector, and a past SCCA tech, there is NO WAY that you should install a long-loop of webbing that far in front of your body, for your body to slide into. The "Anti-Submarine" portion of a race harness is intended to keep your out-of-control body from going under the lap belts, and under the steering wheel and under instrument panel. To do this it must prevent your body from going into motion at time of impact.

Installing the sub as a "barrier" forward of your body means that you will impact the webbing at the delta(difference) of the vehicle speed (zero?) and your pre-impact speed (70? 80? 150?) The belt-as-barrier can do more damage than no belt at all. James Bond being lazered in half comes to mind. Scary

If you install correctly at the lap-anchors, leave it atop the seats, and wear it like a diaper, you will be amazed how much better it holds your butt and thighs down and back. Heaven forbid you roll the car, but with the harness installed correctly your legs and thighs will be held down into the seat like a baseball into a catchers mitt......

I have rejected some scary short-cuts.....shoulder belts bolted to rear seat tracks, sub belts bolted to front corner seat tracks. DONT TAKE THE EASY WAY ! TAKE THE SAFE WAY

Last edited:

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
on the gen-1's, is that top piece packed with frame? not that it would help all that much if i flipped the car...:omg:

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope I understood Snake Oyl on the cell phone today-but If I got it right they said the correct way was to install them over the front of the seat. Will call them again tomorrow.

The way you mentioned above seems to be the right way.

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the Gen III there are pre-drilled/tapped holes to install your belts. don't use the rear seat bolts.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the snake-oyle 6 point harness and installed it last night. I found the two points that connect in the front do nothing more than a 5 point would do accept maybe smash both your nuts instead of one:omg: . Nothing like drilling an extra hole or two in your car thats not needed!!I talked to Snake-Oyl today and they are telling me both options are correct (hmmm)? Hook the sub belt to the fronts (snake-oyl recommend)or like John B said to the back two lower anchors. Snake-Oyl says that it is then a 4 point harness? Im going to try it both ways. I wish I could get a definitive answer here. This is a freaking racing belt not a bling bling item!! Ok im done venting now!:catfight:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake-Oyl is clueless.

There is only one correct method for mounting this 6 point harness.

Both of the lower belts attach at the lower anchor points (that are already drilled and tapped in the SRT-10.

This really should be a lesson to folks on the board. If you're going to buy safety equipment and get advice on installing it, buy it from folks who make and install safety equipment for a living. (i.e. Team Tech.)

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been Educated now!! :hmmm: Thats why $100.00 bucks a year for a VCA membership is worth every penny! To get information like this. Thanks KAI!

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a very good thread ! I was going to wrongly install a 6 point harness that I just got from Jon.

I now understand why I only got 4 eye bolts ...

Who has access to the Illustrated upgrade ?

There is a post on how to install a 6 point harness. This thread should be attached to the end of that illustrated upgrade ! :2tu:

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just dropped off my '04 a few days ago to have the snake oyl 6pts installed. I haven't picked up the car yet, but i wonder if they did it correctly? It sounds like the snake oyl instructions might be wrong?

Does anyone have a picture of the harness installed correctly? If the image in the beginning of this thread is wrong, I'd like to see the right way. I'm having trouble understanding the "diaper" method. I guess i'm a visual learner.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having my Team Techs installed today at A&C in Temecula. It came with an instructional Video that Mike will watch before installation.

The belts look fantastic, and have additional padding on the chest area to spread out any impact forces.

They said that properly installed the straps will pull you down almost 1" into the seat, and make you one with the car. You will gain additional headroom which is good for helmet space, get you lower into the car, and give you a bit of extra crunch protection.

Be safe out there.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a G-Force 6point harness and to would be very interested in the illustrated install?

Also, what type/size of bolts to use for the shoulder belts that attach behind your shoulders?

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Team Tech video is good but a little dated....it was done on an 03...depending on your year there may be a factory bolt in the hole on the exhaust side....there was in my 09 but from what others have said the 08's did not have one.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960