7th Viper Invitational--is it worth the $$$$$$

1KoolAsp 14TA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are going to the 7th Viper Owners invitational in Nashville, TN on Sept. 26th. My ?? to you all is: Is it worth $700. per person to go there? We are not taking the Viper. I can't believe they want $1,400.00 for my wife and I and we will not be in a lot of the activities involving the Viper. We know that it includes continental brkfst, lunch and dinners. But, come on!!!
Well... what do you think? And how many of you will be there?? Who is coming with your cars and who is coming without the Vipers?

Jerry Walker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
700 per person is kinda high,but if you go to one,chances are it wont be your last.They put on a first class show,one you wont soon forget.

Just my 2 cents worth

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's $700 per adult and look's like about that much for the hotel. It seems to me like you wouldn't get nearly as much for your money if you don't have your car there. It says you can get in the parade by riding the bus. The other thing I'm thinking is how vulnerable all these activities are to bad weather. Is it worth it? I guess if you could drive your car to it, then it looks like it would be worth it. I've never been to one. I'd like to go.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to take your Viper! Without it, you'll miss at least half the fun. The Northeast VCA clubs are lining up a large convoy -- getting there will be an unforgetable experience.

Reaction score
1KoolAsp-'00-GTS Blk/Slvr -

$700 bucks is a lot of dough! But Dodge has been generous enough to subsidize a good portion of the total costs of the event to throw us a party that you'll NEVER forget! The $700 dollars is only a portion that we pay -- Dodge pays the rest. I can assure you, we're not paying an elevated price because we can afford Vipers.... The price is NOT just for "Dinner and a Movie"
smile.gif
, it's AN EXPERIENCE and YOU HAVE TO GO!

Regards,
Doug Levin

PS. Bring your Viper!

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were on the fence for a long time trying to decide if we were going or not. It IS ALOT OF MONEY, REGARDLESS OF WHAT DODGE PICKS UP!!! They have a vested intrest, captive audience to sway opinion on the 2003!!!

We decided to go. We're shipping the car and flying down. What the he!!, only another few thousand outside of what we have already spent on the car. I would not go without the car. I am looking forward to having one of those really cool pictures of all the Vipers and thier owners.

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TRUST ME, you will feel like you got one of the Best deals of your life when you wake up on Sept 30th!! after the last VOI nobody I know felt that the money-fun question was even viable.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go about every other year or so; My favorite VOI ever was VOI 1. It was tons cheaper, done in Detroit, we toured the old New Mack plant, the Technology Center, had a nice dinner, laps at Michigan Int'l Speedway and watched the IROC and CART races, and a much smaller group.

I may be in the minority, but these events have gotten a little over the top. I'd rather just have the comaraderie at half the price with more modest amenities. These weekends end up in the $3K range with travel, lodging and the entry fee, and $3K buys more vacation elsewhere.

But it is an unforgettable experience and should be done at least once.

I won't be making the VOI7 pilgrimmage (did VOI6), but maybe VOI8.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-What Jim Sullivan said!!! That's why we were not sure about going, but we are. We talked to people who had been to all of them and the first ones were the best, then they started getting hoity toity. Formal attire for dinner and that kind of crap. We'll give it a shot!!!!

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Birvini:
-What Jim Sullivan said!!! That's why we were not sure about going, but we are. We talked to people who had been to all of them and the first ones were the best, then they started getting hoity toity. Formal attire for dinner and that kind of crap. We'll give it a shot!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that seals it for me. I would feel out of place in my flannel shirt, overalls and Milwaukies Best beer.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelP:

Well that seals it for me. I would feel out of place in my flannel shirt, overalls and Milwaukies Best beer.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEY MICHEAELP, I said we'd give it a shot! I did not read anything in the info that tuxes were a must. Don't get my post wrong, I am dressed up when I wear jeans!!! The more people like us, the better!!!

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to go since I just got my viper, but $2800 is a lot of coin to swing in a couple months given that I'm kind of living on the ragged edge with the new car payment (and insurance, and taxes, and registration, and new stereo system, and exhaust, and brakes, and shifter, and... you know, all those "hidden" up-front costs
smile.gif
)

Plus I have a wedding that weekend... hmm.... tough call.

If only it stayed in detroit... then it'd be only $1400...
frown.gif

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2tall, If you reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to go, GO!!! Forget the wedding that weekend unless it's your own and then call it a "honeymoon."

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The "admission" hardly pays the catering bill! Dodge has consistantly offered a 5 star affair (and by the way, hoity toity will definitely NOT be in the vocabulary of our Nashville VOI), awesome food, open bars, plenty of entertainment, and in one of the most beautiful hotels on the planet!

Think of it as a Club Med vacation (which usually run in the $1400-$1600 per person!). ALL INCLUSIVE! VERY COOL! Oh, and always lots of goodies to bring home with 'ya.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With regard to the "formality" of the affair - during the past 2 VOIs - the dress at each of the banquets has run the gamut of shorts and jeans to beaded and sequins forthe ladies and tuxes for the guys. Neither end of the spectrum felt out of place. Sometimes people like ot get dressed up - usually a bigger thing for the women (I know it is in our family) and I appreciate any excuse to buy a new dress. At the Wild Horse Saloon this year, I expect the dress to be far more casual (like LaClede's Landing last VOI)

So guys, if this is going to be a "vacation" for you and your spouse, maybe a nice dinner and dress up night might be a selling point in your favor for a weekend of Vipermania? DO I have to teach you guys EVERYTHING???
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've been to all 6 VOIs, and had my car at the first 5.
Thanks to the generosity of others (tnx Janni!) I had a Viper for a day at VOI-7.

If at all possible, take your car.

There will be a LOT of D-C provided stuff to drive, even SRT/10s for SHORT blasts. Neons, 4xs offroad, and more. FUN !

In all the VOIs only the Indy-500 ball was 'formal'. Some lovely Ladies and a rare few gents dress up for the fun (?) of it. They are the rare ones. Roses among thorns. (Peacocks among snakes?) REMEMBER BC's MICHELLE FREY, VOI-5, and "THE DRESS?"

Someone PLEASE post that photo again ???!!!

Sport shirts are the dress code, and even the D-C execs are pure casual. Nothing stuffy at VOI.

See You There........... I did not have to buy a beer the last few, thanks to generous web-heads..... It was great !

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it definitely sounds like fun and im dressing up in my vans, shorts and a clean black t-shirt. hmmm michaelp; milwaukies best; bring some and ill help ya drink it. anyway, even if you dont pay to go, you could still go to nashville, stay close proximity to the event location and simply mingle with all the other vipers, i mean with all the nitelife in nashville and if the weathers on, who would not want to be out cruisin anyway. in fact, a good idea may be this; for any who would consider going and dont want to pay 700-1400 clams, lets all get in touch, form a group and get a hotel booking close by and simply be the "outlaw" vipers. hopefully no instigations taken here, just tossing ideas so all can enjoy a city full-o-snakes!

OP
OP

1KoolAsp 14TA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think What Rdustman just wrote is a great idea. One better, is to stay at the Opryland hotel. That is only $150. per night. Not bad. We will really mingle with all the Snakes!

Hey, thanks to all for your great replys. Keep 'em coming!

Hope to meet you all in Nashville, TN.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good idea, im sure the opry has availability. i dont mean to say the VOI7 isnt worth it, i just think id prefer to do the unrestricted noncommittal thing and h*ll, i'd rather be in my snake cruising and hitting nitelife hangouts (and catching rays in the daytime)if the weather hits, more than anything else at a viper convention. i would think there will be just as much if not more action going on all around the "actual" events, just depends on what ones tastes are. all i know from my own personal track experience is every time i pay to go to an event, i somehow stumble off the beaten path and have a better time. to each his own and i'll see you vipers down in nashville. (by then i hope roe will have graced my manifold with a S/C)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a question and not to go too far OT, is it required to stay at the Opryland hotel? How many people are staying somewhere else? $150 a night is steep.

Mike

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this earlier this year and am too lazy to try and remember it, so here it is verbatim (answers to other questions at the end of this):

Is $700 per person too high? It's not high enough. Wait, wait - it is certainly expensive and I will be going through the sofa cushions to try and scrape together that many pennies to go. However, do you think that these fees actually cover the cost of a VOI? Not even close. Here are a few things I can remember offhand from VOI 6 that were included in the price:

* Three day rental of a major NASCAR/NHRA track and all facilities
* Two day rental of a large recreational park and covered tables for lunch
* Four day rental of several large convention rooms
* Race-prepared Dodge Neons for autocrossing for anybody interested
* Full autocross set up including timing and instructors (actually, two separate courses)
* Factory Vipers available for some events
* High-speed Skip Barber driving instructors for three days
* Skid pad trucks to use and abuse, complete with Barber instructors
* Two catered lunches to +/- 450 people each (Viper Cruise)
* Two more catered lunches to +/- 450 people (at the track)
* Two full-course dinners (and no hamburgers either), including open bar
* Three catered breakfast' at the track
* Rental of popular downtown facility (Laclede's Landing)
* Open bar and catered buffet (with all the trimmings) at Laclede's Landing
* Ice sculptures and entertainers at Lacledes (jugglers, stiltwalkers, etc.)
* Coupons for four free drinks (full mix) and no cover charges at popular local bars at Lacledes landing (try to set THAT up!)
* Fireworks spectacular (and it rivaled many 4th of July presentations - fired from a rented barge in the Mississippi)
* Concept cars brought down, including the VGX and Maxx Cab
* Oreca cars brought down for display
* Oreca drivers flown in to sign autographs and speak to owners
* Three bands, including Otis Day, to perform
* One famous comedian to perform
* Numerous tour buses to bring guests to the track, to take people to Lacledes, and even to go on the Viper Cruise if they were Viperless or just wanted to ride in a nice air-conditioned bus with TV's
* Personal shuttles (in brand new Dodges) to and from parking garage
* 24-hour guarded parking on three floors of downtown facility (and not included in the room rate)
* Subsidized enclosed trailers to bring your Viper to VOI - you paid roughly half of the normal cost of transport while Dodge picked up the rest
* "Goody bag" for each attendee including Viper duffel bag, Viper binoculars, Viper umbrella, cleaning kit (coupon redeemed for free at Dodge exhibit), Viper steel travel mug, 1:43 VOI GTS model from Eagle Racing, silk Viper necktie or scarf (depending on gender of attendee), VOI posters - with the artist available to personalize and sign them, VOI T-shirt, a GREAT throw blanket with all the VOI graphics, and other stuff I can't even remember
* Wooden VOI puzzles as part of the Viper cruise (a piece given at each checkpoint)
* Two full-size Viper hoods transported for you to sign for display at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant
* A scale raceway to race remote control Vipers for free
* Custom table centerpieces given to one couple at each table at the dinners (and they were nice too!)
* Numerous custom banners made for each region (and some stolen by overeager attendees
pissed.gif
)
* Signage created for every event and parking (and also stolen
pissed.gif
pissed.gif
)
* 50+ (my guess) Dodge employees flown in to make every single event go smoothly and keep Viper owners happy
* Dodge executives brought down to speak and answer questions
* Dodge technical people brought down to do a tech session for owners
* Rental and coordination of an exhibit hall for Viper vendors (assume the vendors covered the cost of the hall)
* LOTS, lots more that I can't even begin to remember!

Now, if you think $700 a head will cover the cost, you are absolutely nuts (all due respect, of course). If I were to guess, I would think that the cost was easily triple that on a per person basis. Dodge (and the VCA) spends some serious money to underwrite this whole deal. Given the questionable economy when this latest VOI was planned, I am amazed they even went ahead with it. There aren't a lot of Viper owners out there compared to other sports cars, and DaimlerChrysler hasn't exactly been raking in the money of late. Rest assured that it will be the best $700 you have ever spent and it still isn't enough.

I would add a couple things to this original post. First off, don't forget the FRIENDSHIP. Sure, you could spend that money (or less) and go on a cruise. Would you be with a bunch of your friends? Probably not. Would you have anything in common with these people on the cruise? Probably not a ton. Go to a VOI and you will find that these people have LOTS of similar interests, including this Viper car thingy I have heard about.
smile.gif
You will make friends and have a blast.

Were the "original" VOI's smaller and less "hoity toity"? Wasn't invited (no IOI for Impala SS owners at the time), but it would certainly make sense on the size: THERE ARE MORE VIPER OWNERS NOW. More owners = bigger events. Dress code? Hardly. I own around 25 suits and didn't bring a single one (or a tie) to VOI6. As to staying at other hotels, NO PROBLEM. Just remember this: Your parking will be "unprotected" and at the mercy of anybody passing by. Have a few cocktails at the evening events - PLEASE don't drive your Viper to your hotel. The events are held at the host hotel, so you can stagger back to your room at your leisure. If it is held outside of the host hotel, Dodge provides luxury buses to and from the event so you don't have to drive, sober or otherwise. The buses do not stop at other hotels.

At the risk of sounding dramatic, allow me one more comment. $700 a pop IS a lot of money. Add a hotel room for $150 a night and you are talking about a serious expense. Is it worth it? I am unemployed (hopefully not for long) and am on a shoestring budget. My wife and I had to seriously discuss every penny that goes out right now. SHE insisted that I go to VOI this year, because she knows how great it is and how it is worth every cent. Can't afford to send one of us (no sitter for the kids either), but she insists. She did NOT want to go to VOI6, but now says it was one of the coolest things she has ever done - and she is NOT a car person. Other than a couple folks that preferred the small original gatherings, have you heard anybody complain that has actually attended one? There is a reason for that. Find out for yourself and join us at VOI7 in Nashville!

Chris

PS. Now off to bed, leaving as a $15 spectator for Viper Days in the early morning. Woo hoo!

PPS to rdustman, etc. Definitely an interesting idea, but don't count on seeing too many Vipers on that plan: The people paying to attend have the evening meals and entertainment included in the price. No badge, no attend. All the track events? Ditto. Merchandise area? Same. Tech sessions? Yep. The bottom line is that VOI will take up most of the time for attendees (and they will enjoy every minute of it) and you will rarely see them otherwise. I honestly believe you would find yourself pretty much alone for 95% of the time in Nashville. Might not be worth the trip, IMHO.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K thanks for the info.

So every person gets the following and it is included in the $700?

* Full autocross set up including timing and instructors (actually, two separate courses)

Doesn't a 3 day Skip Barber school alone, usually cost something like 2K?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelP:
Y2K thanks for the info.

So every person gets the following and it is included in the $700?

Doesn't a 3 day Skip Barber school alone, usually cost something like 2K?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not sure of the exact itinerary this year. I fully expect there to be something very similar. They will DEFINITELY have an autocross as well. Realize that the driving school isn't as "dedicated" as a true Skip Barber course, as you are driving your own car that hasn't been tech inspected. They will generally not push you or an "unknown" car as they would with their own equipment. Now at VOI6, they DID bring their own Vipers (and Dodge supplied others) for some folks to drive. I think those cars did go faster. It is more focused on "fun" than developing extensive skills. They try to do different run groups based on experience, but you may still end up with an albatross on the track - or that speed demon doing four-wheel drifts on every little kink. Not quite the same as the driving school, but still a HECK of a lot of fun! I hope they bring the Neons, as they were a blast. Somebody also mentioned 4x4's, so don't be surprised if you get plopped down in a new Dodge Ram and sent off to do some muddin'. Stranger things have happened...

Chris

PS. I think they will also have 2003 SRT/10's to drive, although probably not on the track. Love 'em or hate 'em, you definitely need to get behind the wheel for firsthand impressions!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K; thnx for the info, definitely makes me reconsider. I had no idea it would be comprised of such an extensive itinerary, D/C should offer you a job marketing their VOI and other events as you sold me pretty d*mn well. ill have to think about paying the full bit and then just going off the cuff once i get there; some of my itinerary, some of D/C's. thnx for the input and i hope to see you there, you deserve to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog