'96 GTS surging problem - low power

vipergtsdude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
Wondering if anyone ever experienced a surging problem with their Viper? During hard acceleration is noticeably surges, and is generally low in power. Sometimes pulls reasonable...next moment less power. It is not showing any codes when read with an OBD II reader.
The car only has 15K miles. Has known good fuel. I can hear the fuel pump running with turning the key to the Acc. position.
It is a little hard to start .... seams to
I'm going to purchase one of those Bluetooth real time readers as it might help..... any recommendations on one of there would be appreciated too.
Rich

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would first check fuel pressure Should be 55 psi. You will need to do this with a manuel gauge. There is no sensor that monitors this. I would check it at idle and while under acceleration. Has the fuel filter ever been changed?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Maybe spark plugs or wires as well. Not many miles on the car, so they shouldn't be worn out, but you never know if maybe you just got a defective one. Could be one is shorting across something from time to time, so you may get full spark on one run and down a cylinder the next.

OP
OP
V

vipergtsdude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise on the fuel pressure, but wouldn't this throw a code? I guess not since there is no monitor, but what about lean?
It's too even/smooth/substantial of a surge to be just one plug or plug wire. Really does not feel like a spark issue. Maybe advance tho??

Stonep185

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad upstream o2 sensor was doing that same thing to me. It wouldn't throw a code cause the sensor was "kinda" working. Replace spark plugs to see if they are fouled. If it runs great after replacing then replace upstream sensors. Napa has the parts.

OP
OP
V

vipergtsdude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an update, 2 months later and I finally got a fuel pressure gauge on it. 40 PSI at idle. Drops to 30 PSI under acceleration.
Bad fuel filter? Or bad pump assembly.
As a side note, I read someplace there is a check valve in the system to hold the pressure that is achieved during the 1 sec pre-charge before cranking. This appears to be bad and makes it hard to start.
What do I do for a fuel pump? How do I get at it?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R