97 GTS Crank Pinning with Garrett

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This week I made an appointment with Raceway Chrysler to have the known issues of Pinning the crank addressed. I purchased the ROE Crank pinning kit, and had Garrett Nalepka perform the installation.

Upon inspection of my vehicle Garrett removed the Hub and was proceeding to remove the Crank Bolt, and watching him with little effort remove the bolt. The alarming thing we noticed is that is wasn't on tight, and not nearly at the 250Ft/pounds as per specification requirement.

Was it a blessing in disquise to come in on that day. Hell Yes!
I know the car has never been apart and being 16yrs old it was an absolute reassurance having this procedure done.

Preventative measure taken and Garrett Red Loctite the Crank Bolt and torqued it to 250ft/pds and had me up and running in no time.

Garrett is extremely knowledgeble and professional who exudes a welcoming character without arrogance of who is!

Highly recommended...An individual who exemplifies passion for our Vipers

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One has to question... Does the bolt loosen over time or was it never torqued to begin with....

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would have to think it "could" lossen over time.. Now.. Some might never come lose..The crank isn't keyed, and the way it spins the threads on the Crank Bolt should have been the other way this way this problem would never occur.. I wonder why they did them like that?

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just removed mine to do the timing cover gasket. It was really tight on my car which is factory original. I thought about pinning the crank with the roe kit but after seeing how tight it was to come loose i just red loctited it back on and torqued it to 250.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang