AC Question

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My AC isn't blowing cold air. Saw a thread in the gen1/2 section about replacing the o-rings on the AC line and then recharging the system. Is this fix applicable to the gen3/4's? I don't typically use the AC, but it's miserably hot in Houston and really need to get it fixed.

Any help is appreciated.

Michael

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You first need to determine if the compressor is coming on, and if not, is it due to a leak or faulty switch etc.

There are numerous components/connections that could be leaking. You're better off having the system filled and have dye added to locate the leak once the freon escapes again.

OP
OP
C

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You first need to determine if the compressor is coming on, and if not, is it due to a leak or faulty switch etc.

There are numerous components/connections that could be leaking. You're better off having the system filled and have dye added to locate the leak once the freon escapes again.

Thanks for the input AbsolutHank. I was hoping there might be a quick fix solution but it's probably best that I troubleshoot the entire system. I'm thinking it's a switch because I didn't hear the compressor kicking on. Although, that could just be because my car is so loud....

Michael

OP
OP
C

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for the input AbsolutHank. I was hoping there might be a quick fix solution but it's probably best that I troubleshoot the entire system. I'm thinking it's a switch because I didn't hear the compressor kicking on. Although, that could just be because my car is so loud....

Michael

OP
OP
C

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just checked and the compressor isn't kicking on at all when I turn on the AC. Since its not coming on at all, I'm starting to think its a bad switch.

Michael

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if the AC isn't coming on it could be that the freon is low. This is a preventative measure to keep from burning the compressor up. If you have access to AC gauges, check and see where you stand. You probably need to add some so that the compressor will kick on. You need to run your AC every once in a while to lubricate the system otherwise the o'rings dry up and the system leaks. You should turn your AC on even during the winter to keep the system lubed.

OP
OP
C

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well if the AC isn't coming on it could be that the freon is low. This is a preventative measure to keep from burning the compressor up. If you have access to AC gauges, check and see where you stand. You probably need to add some so that the compressor will kick on. You need to run your AC every once in a while to lubricate the system otherwise the o'rings dry up and the system leaks. You should turn your AC on even during the winter to keep the system lubed.

Thanks Alabaster Mamba. I haven't run the AC in a long time which could have lead to the dried up O-rings.

Appreciate your input.

Michael

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael

Yes, that was likely my thread.

End result? My system is fine and was just the freon slowly evaporating over time. Its possible my O rings had dried slightly but they are working again and sealing.

I suggest going to a dealer, have them vacuum the system to remove the moisture, test for leaks, and recharge. Chances are your rings are fine and just need a recharge. Very common for vehicles.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with anything till I had it vacuum tested. If vacuum test passes, then recharge and you should be good to go. If pressures are low and vacuum test fails then you have some trouble shooting to do. If you're trying to pinch pennies you can always grab one of the self charge kits and try it out. If you're lucky all it needs is a charge and that would work just fine.

OP
OP
C

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mopar Boy and Someguy,

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm going to pull a vacuum on the system and go from there. Hopefully all I need is to add some freon. Good input and it's much appreciated.

Michael

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either way, be sure to vacuum the moisture from the system! If you dont, the system with moisture could eventually cause components to rust internally and eventually fail.