Advantage: Viper vs Motorcycle

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I'm driving my Viper almost always I get some guy on a crotch rocket pull up along side of me and start to do wheelies & get on it. Now, not that I would EVER do this on the street, but if I was in a controlled ennvironment somewhere and did decide to race against a motorcycle do you think the Viper has the advantage from a dead stop or from a rolling start?

Bo don't know

mini viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure crotch rockets will eat any stock Viper alive in a drag. Around a racetrack it would be a different story. Performance motorcycles get 0-60 times of around 2.5-3.5 seconds.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I was taking a nice leiserely drive down a scenic one lane road in my 02 RT-10 with the top off when this ninja pulls up NEXT to me on the opposite lane. he revs his engine and smiles at me and then takes off. so I figure I'll give him a run for his money...I buried the throttle in third....into 4th...he was consistently about 50yds ahead of me the whole time. he is taking turns, banking his bike at 45 degree angles but I was still keeping up with him. I look down at my speedometer and realized I was at 110MPH. he then pours it on even more and pulls away from me.

At that point I realized that someone might just get killed if this goes on any longer so I just backed off. never saw him again. Just another sunday afternoon drive I guess.........

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been riding for over 20 years and Yes...Bikes are quick off the line if the driver knows how to shift. it depends on the type of bike too.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the quarter, stock Vipers run low 12s. Most late model 600cc Sport Bikes run 10s.

Most of these bikes top out around 160 stock. So, if you want an advantage from a roll, better start pretty high up in the MPH range :)

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea bikes are fast... I Have had a couple spirited runs with a few. Remmeber though a little friendly bump goes a long way if he starts to pull on you:lmao: :push:

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you have at least 1000 hp I would not even bother. My Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R can do 0-180 mph in 17 seconds and quarter mile in 9 sec. I don't think the Viper in the same league.

And yes I've had bikes come up to me when in the Viper but I wave them by.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me last weekend, I was in light traffic on the inside lane of a Dual carrageway there was a 100yd gap between me and the car in front, 3 Rice Burners came along side me, so I blipped the Throttle and changed down a gear ;) All 3 Bikes then lifted there front wheels at the same time and raced off :D Coolest thing Ive seen for a while :2tu:

GOD I LOVE THIS CAR :drive:

:usa: :uk:
:2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bo...did MIKE do this to ya in his Hayabusa????? :omg: LOL...his 1300GSX-R is QUITE fast, and yes, it CAN take the Viper from a dead stop OR a rolling start. Hooks up faster and depends on the driver, to which Mike excells~! YOU do an awesome job in YOUR Viper tho...so it'd be actually FUN to take that to the test! Was nice to see ya last night AND your Viper...enjoy your time at the OCC Sunday AND heck, in ARUBA too next week!!! :cool: HI to Debbie :2tu: ....juli

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew very little about 'sport bikes' until a couple years ago. I knew they would eat me so never monkeyed around......then I put the SC on. We went for a ride one night in 2006 and a Honda CBR kept goading,goading, goading me ;). I figured what the heck I'll give it a try. We were probably carrying just under 4000 pounds. When the road cleared, we lined up going about 60 MPH. Not sure who hit it first, but the bike jumped 2-3 car lengths on me immediately. I shifted to 4th at about 95-100 (3.45 gears) and at 125-130, I had a car and a half on him. I know I surprised him. We both slowed down to 60 or so and he then lifted the front end and accelerated with the front end up for well over a 1/4 mile. First time I had ever seen that. He dropped it back down, gave me a thumbs up and turned back the other way. When I got home, I googled that bike. From a stop, he would have eaten me alive, but starting from 60, most of his quick was done by 100. It was likely a 600, but I'm told it would be hard to lift a 600 at 60-70 MPH.

Steve

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with my old 800 hp rt/10 i used to race bikes all the time. thats the only thing that *** me a thrill. loved to see those guys reactions when they got theyre ass whooped from a 40mph roll. i had no problems with bikes upto 750cc. they would just go down so easy. 1000cc or more would be a more of an even race. raced a hayabusa once (& YOTONY was there to witness) and he was right by my side the whole time which was a really good race i thought. now a days in my stock srt i can only hang with 750cc bikes...

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bo...did MIKE do this to ya in his Hayabusa????? :omg: LOL...his 1300GSX-R is QUITE fast, and yes, it CAN take the Viper from a dead stop OR a rolling start. Hooks up faster and depends on the driver, to which Mike excells~! YOU do an awesome job in YOUR Viper tho...so it'd be actually FUN to take that to the test! Was nice to see ya last night AND your Viper...enjoy your time at the OCC Sunday AND heck, in ARUBA too next week!!! :cool: HI to Debbie :2tu: ....juli

Pardon me Juli, but how did Mike get "in" his Hayabusa? :lmao:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my bolt-on mod 98 I find 600 bikes are a fair fight from a roll, but liter bikes = forget it. I say bikes are hard to launch and a standing start should favor the car if you have sticky tires.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've beat 600's with my Viper. 750's take me up to about 120 mph and then I start to catch them. I raced my buddies hopped up Busa and it was a joke. He pulled away fast even at the high end. You need some BIG hp to keep up with a new liter bike or the Busa / ZX13's. Those bikes are insane. I just sold my ZX12R this year. It was a lot quicker than my Viper.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You gotta take them deep before you make your move.

When a cycle goes up against your Viper, all the advantage from a stop goes to the bike.

After 80 or so, the aerodynamic effect is greater on the bike than the car.

If they give you the inclination they want to get it on, slowly increase your speed till you get into the power band in 3rd, and it is on. Keep you foot in it, and you will usually slowly reel them in and above 120 on the track you usually will pull it out.

High speed cornering goes also to the Viper. Few cycles can go up against a Viper on a road course like Willow Springs.

If the cycle is a uber cycle, with huge hp, then unless you got boost, you gonna see taillights.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I owned a ZX11. At the track I beat most of the drag bikes with my street/ no wheelie bar bike. BEST I could get was 11.1@133mph. Did that once with a 1/4 mi. burnout and a second time doing a nearly full quarter mile wheelie (they sprayed rosin). My ZX11 also ate modified 750s like they were standing still. I weigh 160 and have riden bikes until I was run over by a GM. Now I run snowmobiles for my 'extra thrills'.

My Viper went 10.5@139mph. Viper's faster!!! Now I have PS2s and ported my heads last month. Trying to get a tune on the car now.

My 440 Duster should spank any bike that doesn't cut 10s as well.

I also have an unused Nitrous kit on my Viper. Bikes lose. Although setting up my 1000cc Mountain Cat for track should run low 9s. Does that count? I certainly won't be driving it down any dry roads, lol.

Ted

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a dig, forgettaboutit.

Your only chance is from 3rd gear roll and the higher you go MPH the better the odds.
If you take it up to 160-180 area, bikes will fail in most cases.
Under 120 they are top of the food chain.

One more thing, if you dont have at leat 500 on the tap, forgettaboutit again. Even the pesky little 600's will eat you.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember we have Vipers...Any Dbag making 20K can buy a fast bike..Big deal...Al

???HUH??? Well, thank you so much for the LOVELY choice of words there. :rolleyes:
You have a VIPER...but you are still an enthusiast? MAN, you should PM your VIN# to KCOBean and at least be UPgraded to VIPER OWNER...you DO have a VIPER, correct?:dunno: I were you, I'd not be insulting to others :mad:, this IS a helpful forum...take advantage of it and JOIN the VCA. ~juli

RedSrt007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive raced an R1 from a 60/70mph roll and just ate it alive (about 5 cars), but thats with the TT

Stock...odds would be a lose.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
???HUH??? Well, thank you so much for the LOVELY choice of words there. :rolleyes:
You have a VIPER...but you are still an enthusiast? MAN, you should PM your VIN# to KCOBean and at least be UPgraded to VIPER OWNER...you DO have a VIPER, correct?:dunno: I were you, I'd not be insulting to others :mad:, this IS a helpful forum...take advantage of it and JOIN the VCA. ~juli
Hey Julie I just joined..Thanks for the push! 95% of the rice bikers annoy me constantlly when I am driving my car..I got cut off by 2 that were together last week. I also got passed on the right on a small 2 lane back road last year..Soooo...my impression that many are dbags...Cant help the way I feel...Ps I have 670RWHP and not really to worried about most of them anyways..Al

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Julie I just joined..Thanks for the push! 95% of the rice bikers annoy me constantlly when I am driving my car..I got cut off by 2 that were together last week. I also got passed on the right on a small 2 lane back road last year..Soooo...my impression that many are dbags...Cant help the way I feel...Ps I have 670RWHP and not really to worried about most of them anyways..Al

Well, I'm VERY glad you joined!! You can still PM Kcobean with your VIN# (will be confidential) and he will upgrade you ASAP to VIPER OWNER...which you deserve!
AND, heck, I didn't take you PERSONALLY, but I still feel that the certain 'name' you chose is just not appropriate. You don't know MIKE, and if you DID, you'd truly ADMIRE his driving abilities~! He does NOT race his bike against anybody...he likes it only for himself. So, don't generalize here!!! :cool: We're cool....juli

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost any car with 500+ HP and good gearing can give one of those bikes a good run. I used to beat them most of the time from a 45-50mph roll, hit the sweet spot in 3rd gear and watch the surprised look on their face. From a stop, forget it. Also a lot of the bike riders are not very good riders and will back down or not run a bike to its full potential. 90mph+ on a bike is scary.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owning both, I'd have to say that the bikes will win almost every time...in the straights. All of mine are relatively stock, 450hp for the Viper, 110hp for the GSX-R600, and 160hp for the GSX-R1000. It's the horsepower to weight ratio that give the advantage to the bikes. Look at the liter bike compared to a 2008 Viper. 600hp at 3440 lbs for the Viper vs. 160hp (RW) at 379 lbs on the liter bike. Most newer bikes are governed, voluntarily by the manufacturers, at 186 mph...but they get there quick.

Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motorcyclist Magazine do a comparison almost every year with various cars and bikes. On the drag strip the bikes always win. On the track, the last one I remember reading was an 06 Viper vs a YZF1000 and the Viper won. A recent test had a Veyron up against a Busa. Here's the numbers, both stock:

Power:
182bhp (measured at rear wheel) – Suzuki Hayabusa
1,001bhp (measured at crank) – Bugatti Veyron

Horsepower to Kilogram:
.827 – Suzuki Hayabusa
.53 – Bugatti Veyron

0-60mph:
2.74 seconds – Suzuki Hayabusa
2.46 seconds – Bugatti Veyron

1/4 mile:
9.985 seconds – Suzuki Hayabusa
10.2 seconds – Bugatti Veyron

0-186mph:
18 seconds (184mph restricted top speed) – Suzuki Hayabusa
19.8 seconds – Bugatti Veyron)

The Busa is not a good 0-60 bike, it's made for top speed, once its unleashed (no governer). Most of the liter bikes now pull 0-60 at around 2.5.

The biggest disadvantage for the bikes is usually the rider. It takes a lot more skill to make a bike go fast than it does to make a car go fast. Of course, it takes a good amount of skill to put down torque, but on the road, most of us don't have to worry about keeping the front wheels down in a car.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And by the way 00Prowler, I think you'll find there are many of us on this board that not only have a Viper in the garage, but also a "rice bike" or two parked next to it, along with any other go-fast toy they can get their hands on. Income has nothing to do with it. You should see how many "rice bikes" Jay Leno has in his garage, parked along with a collection of cars that all of us as a whole probably couldn't afford.

Enjoy the new Viper, and the Prowler too (cool combination), and welcome to the VCA.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like most crotch rocket pilots I had my accident and quit. I was lucky and made it almost 32 years before getting run over. All of my 'rice biker' friends quit riding, died or quit after crash like me.

Some switched to snowmobiles as they're same power to weight without all those millions of car drivers trying to 'get us'.

A basic sc kit added to your Viper will turn nearly all bikers into losers, and drag raials will kill off the rest.

Not sure how much faster a 'busa is than a ZX11, but my bike either wheelied or spun the tire and wouldn't go 10.2 like the magazine said. 11.1 was best time.

Ted

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to attract the ***** kids on bikes that think there the hottest things on 2 wheels...Al

Well, remember not to generalize...MIKE is not a ***** kid on a bike. :)
Ted: Mike is NOT getting a s/c for the Hayabusa...so guess he's not a loser? :dunno:
I also am NOT into bikes, will not ride one, nor drive one...but Mike enjoys bikes, is careful, won't race against anybody (can't risk a ticket, he's got a CDL)...so generalizing again against Motorcycle Drivers...can't put them all in one category.
When Mike wants to take out the Busa, I take one of the cars...and we enjoy our respective rides~!
:drive::drive::drive:
You must be registered for see images
(He doesn't do this!) ~juli

You must be registered for see images

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted: Mike is NOT getting a s/c for the Hayabusa...so guess he's not a loser?

He could be if you added the supercharger kit to the Viper, lol. Loser? Don't know, but since he' got a Viper - probably not.

I've never even seen a Haybusa in person never mind drove one. I am licensed for everything though.

I wasn't speaking except for in generalities as occaissionaly there is some people that don't get crashed (like Harley riders), I just don't know any.

Ted

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery