advice anyone?

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Up until about 3 weeks ago,my vehicle used to start flawlessly when fired up.Now,every time I go to start the car for the first time,it acts as if it is reluctant to start.It takes a prolonged push on the start button and then it acts like it is not firing on all cylinders for the first,maybe 5 seconds.It runs extremely rough.The engine then catches and starts running normally.I thought at first it might be bad gas,but I am on my third tank since this started,and have used different stations each time.There is no backfiring,just hesitancy to start running and idling normally.There is no check engine light that illuminates on the dash.I have a new battery in the car,and the voltage is fine.I do not know if the severed grounding strap that I posted about in another thread has anything to do with it,but I do not think so as I have spliced it back together.Could someone please offer some potential insight into this matter.I would really appreciate it.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine sensors are sensitive to having a good ground. A good ground is used as reference to the signal wire. Run an ground wire from a fuel rail hold down bolt to a cross member bolt. See it that changes anything. I'm guessing it won't but its a real easy test. You also didn't say what year your car is.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think that during the period of ground-issues you fouled something: Injectors, Plugs, or Oxy Sensors. How many miles on the car? Is this a STOCK-PCM 08? Any mods? "No CEL" is a puzzle, since '08s are VERY trigger-happy with CELs. Do you have the MoPar S-1 PCM?

When you changed the battery (and every time your car lost ground) you re-set the adaptive of the idle program on the PCM. It then take 5-6 run cycles to re-learn....but you say you burned 3 tanksful since the issue, so I must ASSume you have driven a bunch of run-cycles. Suspect gas could be a fouled fuel filter, but NOT related to the grounding. But might be at play.

I also hope the battery-install was done well, cleaned cables, tight-fittings.

Last edited:
OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is a stock 2008,no mods,with approx 9700 miles.
The battery was replaced about 2 months ago and the car had been running fine up until about 3 weeks ago when this problem started.When the car is running it runs fine and powerfully.It only happens on the initial start up.If I stop during the same drive and start it again,it fires up normally.The gentleman at Viper Specialty said the aforementioned severed grounding strap was used to prevent interference between the engine and the radio.I noticed the broken strap about 2 weeks ago.I have also noticed that on occasion for the last couple of weeks,when I start the car,the time on the RB1 does not come up.I am not trying to be daft but how can a grounding prob,foul a injector or plugs.The vehicle is going back to the shop on Thursday but I am the only Viper this dealership services and they are not too savvy about them.I will have them check for codes,check the fuel filter and address the rejoined strap.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the bright side, at least it's under warranty still. Have them keep it overnight and start it up with all the diagnostic stuff hooked up to the OBD port and see if you're getting weird readings anywhere or transient codes getting set. It could be a million things - and having those sensor readings might help narrow it down.

What Jon said is likely going to be relevant. You might have a sensor that is either messed up and only functions correctly when it's hot, or the contacts in or to the sensor only make proper contact when they're hot.

Again, it's under warranty, so at least it is happening now and not seven years from now :) I just noticed you're in B.C. - so hopefully you bought the car up there so that you still have a warranty...

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like your fuel pump may not be building up pressure fast enough, or possibly bleeding back on itself.
Next time you start it up, try turning the ignition switch on and wait a few seconds before hitting the start button.
If she fires up right away after that, it's probably the fuel pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang