Advice on tires for my GTS

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's time for new tires on the Viper and I'm having a hard time making up my mind. I've narrowed it down to three choices: Pilot Super Sports, Pilot Sport Cups and Toyo R888s. My sensible side wants to go with the PSS because of its near R-rated tire grip and it's amazing cost per mile. But that will be the first set of tires I've ever bought for a Viper that wasn't R-rated. Which might keep me away from the track more because of noticeable slower lap times. Which makes me a bit hesitant to pull the trigger. Any advice would be helpful. :)

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never let "slower lap times" keep you from the track, unless you're racing door to door for money. Seat time is more important than any tire you can put on your car.
That said, I've had PS Cup tires and PSS and I don't care what anyone says, the Cup tires are simply the best . I have read great things about the Toyo's but never used them, didn't know they came in Viper sizes.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The big question is really how often do you get to the track to start with? If you're only going once or twice a year and spend 90% of your time on the street, the PSS is a hard tire to beat. I racked up 25k miles on my rear set over a year and a half and the fronts still have half tread left. They take a little temp to get stickier, but they hold in rain like nothing else I've even see in a car in case you get caught in a downpour. If you only make it to a few track days a year, a second set of wheels and tires might be the better way to go. It's a decently up front expense, but you can always sell the wheels down the road to recoupe some of the cost if it becomes a problem. I have a set of drag radials for my Dart on a second set of rims for when I'm feeling frisky. Granted I bought 4 rims for that car for less than what some single Viper rims cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth