AEM Stand alone test drive.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have all heard about some of the dyno tests performed with the AEM box, but no one has posted any thing about it but that. And to be honest with you I have yet to get to a dyno to do my optimal tune so I have no dyno numbers to share.

What I do have is a drivability report, in the worst conditions possible. Picture a 99 RT in LA traffic on the 405 for about 1.5 hours of stop and go traffic. The top was off and the AC was blowing the whole time, weather outside was a nice 95-100.

Idle of the car is radically changed long gone is the neutral gear rattle we are all use to, at least the '99 and older owners. The car idles perfect, no stumbles, no shaking, just a great rumble out the tail pipes as it should be with no side effects.

Acceleration is very smooth and has none of the usual feelings associated with after market fuel/ignition management. Seat of the pants is something I do not like to comment on since it’s about as accurate as a fortune teller.

Cruising at speed is fantastic, imagine how little gas effort it takes now to keep the car moving along and make it even better. The car just glides along the highway, with almost no gas pedal effort.

An engine temp change is a side effect I didn’t even consider until I started driving the car. Let’s put it this way, my car under all those conditions was right at 190 for most of the drive. The only time did it exceed 190 was when traffic would clear up a bit and I would accelerate up to speed then it would fall right back to 190. This is very unusual for Vipers in this weather in traffic. My car always moved from 190-215or so with the fans kicking in to keep the car from over heating, well not any more.

Traction control,

We tested it driving around a bit at AEM and then I played around with it on the way home and all I can say is wow. Even though it is not specifically tuned for my cars traction capabilities, it still works fantastic. Full throttle off the line starts without needing to lift of the gas pedal, and it pulls hard and fast every time. Even hard acceleration out of a turn the car is rock solid, I can’t wait for someone who tracks their car to see how much this is worth. :eek:

There is so much more that I can talk about but I am just too tired of typing, if anyone has questions just ask. And if anyone in the LA area wants to check out how the car runs for them selves say the word.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ - thanks for the report. Let me know when you head out to R&D. Or we can meet up at Fontana on the 29th. I'm very curious to find out how well the new ecu performs compared to stock.