air filter on 08

Reaction score
After chatting with the SRT engineers about this at VOI I really don't think there is a reason to replace it. The designer told me that they did not leave anything on the table when they designed it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The filter as a stand-alone wont do much....

Bit with smoothe tubes and / or high-flow exhaust creating more flow, YES.

2008 KN + Smoothe Tubes $195

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a couple of questions about the 08 K&N

1. first this filter is not designed for the 08 viper ... i tried the K&N and it did not seem as snug as fit as the stock filter.....anyone else notice this

2. Is there any truth to the fact that oil filters do not filter as well as the stock paper filter so in the long run engine life can be affected

thanks

PS anyone have any pics of the 08 smooth tubes

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the last thing i want to do is hurt business but below is a quote from one of our sponsors service manager....

"The changes in the smooth tubes will more than likely throw a CEL from values that are out of spec. This comes straight from the SRT group."

Has anyone has this issue

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess if any brave soul tries them and finds a gain, I'll order a set. I'll just have to wait until then....

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also the last thing i want to do is hurt business but below is a quote from one of our sponsors service manager....

"The changes in the smooth tubes will more than likely throw a CEL from values that are out of spec. This comes straight from the SRT group."

Has anyone has this issue

For smooth tube to create a significant change in engine performance and get a CEL sounds like an excellent upgrade, although I thought gains were insignificant? The SRT engineer said that the stock filters have been upgraded to the cotton style to prevent waterdamage.

Ted

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that using smooth tubes will throw a code.
And since the '08 has a MAF sensor, shouldn't it just recalibrate the air/ fuel mixture if there is some increased flow?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that using smooth tubes will throw a code.
And since the '08 has a MAF sensor, shouldn't it just recalibrate the air/ fuel mixture if there is some increased flow?

Theoretically speaking, when the factory does calibrations, I'm sure they have set a certain operating range (volume of air allowed at each RPM/throttle position), and if the MAF picked up any amount of flow over the specified parameter, I'm sure that could set off a CEL. Just thinking aloud...:dunno:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For smooth tube to create a significant change in engine performance and get a CEL sounds like an excellent upgrade, although I thought gains were insignificant? The SRT engineer said that the stock filters have been upgraded to the cotton style to prevent waterdamage.

Ted
If the filters do create a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is it worth creating an ISSUE which could possibly (depending upon the customers relationship with his dealer )VOID the stock warranty for a FEW horsepower on a car that already MAKES OVER 600.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS the itonic part with any power add os for an 08 (esp in cooler weather )is at the power level the cars at bone stock all but an EXPERT level driver can not hook the thing anyway on stock tires yet everyone wants more.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS the itonic part with any power add os for an 08 (esp in cooler weather )is at the power level the cars at bone stock all but an EXPERT level driver can not hook the thing anyway on stock tires yet everyone wants more.

Very true,I can not get mine to hook anywhere in first gear, but just knowing there is still more power ready to be unleashed is so tempting to a hotrodder's heart.
Claude

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Claude ,the other night i took mine out in 40 degree weather .The car was scary (with the 08s as you know ALL the power is over 4000 RPMS ) and this is not my first 600 hp car The above is identical reason so many 08 were-are wrecked in the the colder weather (slick roads plus more horsepower from cooler denser air ).

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Traction? Therein lies the challenge. Even the slowest car has traction problems going around corners at high speeds. Experts start at stock hp levels and get better from there.

Tires, wheels, brakes, it's all for fun.

Ted

Ted

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theoretically speaking, when the factory does calibrations, I'm sure they have set a certain operating range (volume of air allowed at each RPM/throttle position), and if the MAF picked up any amount of flow over the specified parameter, I'm sure that could set off a CEL. Just thinking aloud...:dunno:

I wouldn't put it past anyone. I know many foreign automakers do this to their cars(make their software very sensitive to changes). But that is why I thought the MAF was prefered over a unit like the speed density systems to calculate air/fuel mixtures. A small
fluctuation in air it can adapt to, but you could be right. The manufacturer could make it so that even a small change could throw a code.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This seems to be the problem with the new 2008 ECM Emissions standards. My 2008 Miata did just this when I installed a K & N Filtercharger Kit. It ran like crap and threw a code. I replaced the kit with a K & N replacement filter, reset the ECM, and all was well.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it does make 3 horsepower more trust me no one will notice it on an 08 anyway-too funny.As i mentioned previously in cold weather you may get an actual horsepower reading of over 560 to the tires on a Dynojet using stock filters.With that kind of power on Pilots, cold roads ect all but a select few can hook the car up anyway.Ever wonder why so many 08 were wrecked last Winter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper