All 4 coasts in the 2008 Viper

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just returned Oct. 22 from a great driving adventure which started Sept. 15. We hooked up with some of our Motor City pals at the home of Ralph Gilles, where he was hosting a barbecue lunch as part of the Illinois VCA's Vipers Invade Niagara. That event was a blast, and was the reason we didn't start the trip right after Labor Day Leaving Niagara, our goal was to revisit some of our favorite places in the western USA, see lots of new places, and surprise our son on his birthday in Redington Beach (Tampa), Florida.

We traveled west on I-70, stopping in Columbia, MO and Golden, CO. An early storm dumped a foot of snow that night in the mountains just west of Denver, resulting in a route change for us. We headed south on I-25 into New Mexico the next morning, and stayed in Durango, CO. It was an eventful day...we saw our first Viper (other than those associated with Niagara), a red RT-10 pulling a small red trailer. We got a dime sized stone chip in the windshield and the low tire indicator apeared on the instrument panel. Wow!

After airing up the tire in Durango, we had dinner and much needed cocktails at a very nice Italian restaurant called Mama's Boy, and waited for morning. I had AAA come to the motel and air up the totally flat tire, while I called around looking for a tire shop with the equipment to make the repair without ruining the wheel. While we were fixing things that morning, we took care of the windshield chip. We also called Calchrome and ordered 2 rear PS-2's to be installed while in California later in the trip. We visited Mesa Verde that afternoon, and stayed in Cortez, CO.

The next 3 days were spent driving some very scenic Utah roads, and visiting Arches, Brice and Zion National Parks. If you have not been to Utah-Go! After leaving Zion, we took a leisurely drive to Las Vegas, cruising through the Valley of Fire State Park. We got a great parking spot at the Bellagio and enjoyed fine dining, etc. for 2 nights.

The next stop was Carson City, where we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant I have visited several times on previous trips. The following morning we drove around the western side of Lake Tahoe, on our way to the Marin Headlands at the Golden Gate Bridge. There are spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean, Golden Gate, San Francisco and the Bay. It's a great place to picnic with wine, bread and cheese. We stayed until dusk, and spent the night in Santa Rosa.

The next few days were spent in Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino counties, visiting a few of our favorite wineries and driving though the redwood forest on Rt 128. We left Ft. Bragg and spent 2 days driving south on the Pacific Coast Highway. We enjoyed 17 Miles Drive, and spent a night in San Simeon. The Hearst Castle was spectacular!

The next morning we had an appointment at Calchrome, in Valencia, to get the new tires. They were great people to deal with and had absolutely state of the art equipment to do the work. We had 22,200 miles on the Viper at that time, and still a little tread left on the rear.

Next points of interest were Sedona, the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest in AZ. Most of the sight seeing was done for this trip. We traveled across I-40, with Memphis as a destination a few days later.

After a couple days visiting my sister in Memphis, we headed for New Orleans. I had called ahead and made reservations at the Hilton Riverside---one of the few places with a spacious parking deck that will allow you to park your own car.

Final destinations were Redington Beach, Flagler Beach on A1A and Jacksonville. At Jacksonville, we saw a black RT-10 on a Land Rover dealer's used car lot. It was only the second Viper we were to see on the trip.

As we were nearing home, I watched the trip odometer go from 9999.9 to 0.0. It automatically reset itself. Our total distance traveled was 10,045 miles, in 36 days. The car was photographed by others everywhere we went. During the last few weeks, I kidded my wife about having to handcuff her to the Viper when we passed major airports to keep her in the car. Cost of the trip was about a buck a mile-- not counting depreciation of the car.
The memories? Priceless!

Arches National Park, Utah
100_3280.JPG

Alexander Valley, Silver Oak Cellars
100_3491.JPG

Redwoods on California SR 128
100_3494.JPG

Seventeen Mile Drive
100_3538.JPG

New rear tires at Calchrome
100_3618.JPG

Bourbon Street
100_3680.JPG

On A1A at Flagler Beach, Florida
100_3693.JPG

Bill

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Wish I had know you were coming through.

Could have had a few Amarilo Vipers meet at eat at the Big Texan...

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I had know you were coming through.

Could have had a few Amarillo Vipers meet at eat at the Big Texan...

Thanks, George! That would have been great. We didn't really have much of a schedule, so it would have been hard to arrange. I think we saw billboards along I-40 advertising the Big Texan.....Is that the one with about a 5 pound steak that's free if you can eat the whole thing?

Bill

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Story, Now this is what is is all about.

Bruce

Thank you, too, Bruce. I tried to keep the post as brief as I could. There was so much more....I smiled every morning when I pushed the red button. BTW, I like your BlknBlu screen name.

Bill

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree that experiences like bring out the best enjoyment from a Viper.

Thanks for sharing

Ted

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, George! That would have been great. We didn't really have much of a schedule, so it would have been hard to arrange. I think we saw billboards along I-40 advertising the Big Texan.....Is that the one with about a 5 pound steak that's free if you can eat the whole thing?

Bill

72-ounce steak - eat it and it's free. You get 1 hour and must eat salad, roll and potato along with the steak.

Next time!!:)

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
smogdog---great write up!!!! Sounds like a trip I would love to do someday, the longest drive I took in my viper was to atlanta, Ga and back to Brunswick, Ohio and it was great other than it rained all the way to atlanta.
Would you have perferred to be in a rag top for that drive???

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
smogdog---great write up!!!! Sounds like a trip I would love to do someday, the longest drive I took in my viper was to atlanta, Ga and back to Brunswick, Ohio and it was great other than it rained all the way to atlanta.
Would you have perferred to be in a rag top for that drive???

Thanks a lot ! A convertible would have been great in the redwoods and also in Zion. To keep things from being too congested in Zion, you can only drive through about 12 miles of the park---then you have to ride the shuttles. Since a lot of the view is up, they have windows in the roof. I did find myself leaning out the window quite a bit in the coupe.....

Bill

Reaction score
Great story and I envy the both of you, maybe someday I will be able to convince my wife that this is a great way for the two of us to spend some time together... her and I that is. :lmao:

Thanks for sharing!

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, sounds like a great trip. I'd like to do a trip like this when I get my Viper. Thanks for sharing.

V

Venomiss

This is an awesome trip and pictures!

If we would have known the KC group would have come out to meet you as you came through. More pictures if you have them please!!

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an awesome trip and pictures!

If we would have known the KC group would have come out to meet you as you came through. More pictures if you have them please!!

Thanks, Mary! Here are some more pictures. Since this is the VCA Forum, most will include the Viper. It's tough to get a car in most of the really scenic stuff!

Bill

Stopped for cattle in New Mexico on US 64. After the crossing was complete, one of the cowboy's offered to trade his horse for the Viper....
100_3173.JPG

Brice Canyon. What? No Viper in this picture!
100_3376.JPG

Viper provides a photo op for others at Zion
100_3409.JPG

Zion
100_3418.JPG

Valley of Fire, east of Las Vegas. Lot's of us were here during VOI9
100_3434.JPG

Lake Tahoe
100_3463.JPG

Golden Gate and San Francisco from the Marin Headlands
100_3472.JPG

One of my favorite shots of the Viper in the redwoods on RT. 128
100_3497.JPG

Windsurfers at Half Moon Bay, along the Pacific Coast Highway
100_3533.JPG

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for sharing your trip with us. I love that kind of stuff. If I can't do it myself, due to work or whatever, I can be happy reading about the adventures of others.

You said you tried to keep the post as brief as you could. Now post for us your incredibly long self-indulgent version. You would be surprised how many of us would enjoy reading that.

Regarding your comment you made about sticking your head out of the window to look up and see the view, may I suggest you put on your list for the next trip to see Glacier National Park in northwest Montana. It can be a dangerous drive because everybody is looking up instead of looking at the road.

Keep the stories coming.

Bob

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for sharing your trip with us. I love that kind of stuff. If I can't do it myself, due to work or whatever, I can be happy reading about the adventures of others.

You said you tried to keep the post as brief as you could. Now post for us your incredibly long self-indulgent version. You would be surprised how many of us would enjoy reading that.

Regarding your comment you made about sticking your head out of the window to look up and see the view, may I suggest you put on your list for the next trip to see Glacier National Park in northwest Montana. It can be a dangerous drive because everybody is looking up instead of looking at the road.

Keep the stories coming.

Bob

Bob--Thanks so much for your kind words! I really laughed at the thought of the incredibly long self indulgent version ( I have the potential)!Thanks for the tip about Glacier....we have never done much in Idaho, Montana, nor Oregon---and have never driven a Viper in Washington. Maybe in a few years. The trip we took 3 years ago, which incorporated VOI9, included Traverse City, MI. the U.P., Salt Lake City, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Yellowstone, Northern CA, Sequoia, Grand Canyon, Sedona and more....

Ulllose--We washed the Viper about every other day, depending on weather and distance traveled. Fortunately, most of the trip was dry.

Bill

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Loved it and love your car. Would like to see more pictures. Did something similar 4 years ago. Traveled through 13 states to see the fall colors. Great trip. Did not take the 94 viper as it rained a lot. The 94 is not known for keeping you dry.