American Muscle Viper

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm watching 'Ram Air' on American Muscle, Speed Channel, tonight and saw a Red w/ White stripe GTS. Turbo charged. He did a burn out with quick shifts, solid burn out into 3rd gear. What I couldn't understand was the front wheels weren't turning. It looked like they left a creeper stuck under it, LOL. Does the car belong to a VCA member? How about a story.:)

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little brake while doing your burnout will keep the front wheels stopped while backs light up. Very fun! It takes a little more skills to shift while doing it. I've had the speedo up to about 100 MPH with out moving a foot.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most likely he had a line lock to set the front brakes while leaving the rears to spin and warm up the tires.
You can do a good burn out without a line lock, but it's much harder.
Taking both practice and skill.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys can do it. The wheel hop on my 97 is so bad I hate even allowing the wheels to break loose. I wonder if there is something wrong with my suspension or something.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, how old are your tires?? When i got my GTS the tires were 9 years old, hard as a rock and I had more wheel hop than a 68 Chevy pickup. I put on some new tires and the wheel hop is but a memory now. I can impress the ricers now!!!!!

OP
OP
R

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have 2 vipers and did burnouts in my 96 rt and 02 gts and no wheel hop on either one.

I put 2005 wheels and new tires on my GTS. Today was the KOOL 97.3 Cruise. All types of cars meet at a Mall and drive to the drag strip for test and tunes. With the new tires not much wheel hop but sure was hard gettn tires to hook. 1st run spunem and had 13.5,112.5 the second was a [email protected] and a slight hop. If the tires spin and they keep spinning no hop but in between the Viper seems to do it. I'm not a drag racer and was just goof'n around but still beat all the 8 Vettes times that ran.Even one with a S/charger. LOL!!. Lot more looks at a Viper than a Vette and had one Vette owner wishing he had the $$ for a Viper. IT was a FUN day!! :2tu: :D

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to wait until I watched the clip before commenting. That was a clip from the American Muscle episode on the Viper. The Red coupe belonged to Doug Levin and was supercharged not turbocharged.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure how old my tires are, they have about 80% tread left. They look like newer tires to me, can't imagine them being 10-years old looking the way they do.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key to no wheel hop if you're going to do an extended burnout(not just a quick spin of the tire to clean off debri), is to wet them in the water box fully. That should eliminate the wheel hop.