AMSOIL vs MOPAR (Transmission Fluid)

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you find it can you please add the link in here please. It be much appreciated.

But note we are talking about the Gen2 older t56. borg warner sold the manual t r a n n y business in 1996 and Tremec started building them in 1998. So the paper blockers were most likely were changed to carbon i think. A transmission expert can chime in here.

Last edited:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But note we are talking about the Gen2 older t56. borg warner sold the manual t r a n n y business in 1996 and Tremec started building them in 1998. So the paper blockers were most likely were changed to carbon i think. A transmission expert can chime in here.
Read your post with the link to what you beleived you ordered.
and thats what I ordered and going to use.

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Selecting manual trans lubricant is kind of a balancing act. One that protects the bearings and gears, inhibits the function of the syncos, and vice versa. One that allows the syncro to grip the gear doesn't protect the gears as well.

I've pulled apart dozens of Chryslers old 4-speed, the A833. They made a lube change in the 70s going from gear oil to ATF. 100% of the transmissions with gear wear were filled with ATF. But that ATF makes for faster shifting....
I meant to post this here, I inadvertently posted in the wrong thread

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great reference thread!

I had my (warranty replaced) Tremec rebuilt along with my engine a bit over 3 years ago. I used Dexron III. I ran it about two years and ended up breaking a 4th synchro at COTA. I bought a very early '98 B-W takeout (VIN VV000004) from Mike to run til I get my first one fixed. I filled it with AC-Delco Synthetic 75W85 GL-4 and ran it at COTA in the June heat. It has been a little balky going into 3rd, (probably bad shifting by prev. owner) but otherwise runs and shifts very smoothly. I prefer a little heavier lube in all parts of the driveline for hot-weather high-load protection anyway, so not worried about a little more viscosity-related efficiency loss.

Attachments

• Delco trans gear lube.jpg
    Delco trans gear lube.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great reference thread!

I had my (warranty replaced) Tremec rebuilt along with my engine a bit over 3 years ago. I used Dexron III. I ran it about two years and ended up breaking a 4th synchro at COTA.
Dean, can you link the 4th Synchro going bad because of Dex III? Something else?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, can you link the 4th Synchro going bad because of Dex III? Something else?
Not what you asked for, but another data point until Dean chimes in.

This was my 3-4 synchro and 3rd gear (OEM 2008 TR-6060):

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The clutch teeth on the 3rd gear and 3-4 synchro were rounded, and some of them were chipped. Both had to be replaced when John Donato went through my transmission a few months ago, but it never really showed any obvious signs that there was any damage. It shifted smoothly up until I pulled it and took it up to Michigan to let John do his thing.

The transmission had ~19,000 miles and ~60 quarter mile passes on it. I initially ran ATF+4 for a few passes, and then switched over to the BG Synchro Shift II for the rest of them.

My take away was that nothing is guaranteed if you are wailing on it, even with the thicker fluid. I've missed the 2-3 shift many times while practicing my shifts, so I'm not overly surprised that it incurred some damage during that process.

Thankfully, John charges very reasonable prices for replacement parts (and labor), and my transmission is back to the way it should be. I'm undecided when/if I might return to drag racing, but I at least now know that I'll need to budget for a transmission rebuild every 5-6 years or so if I drive it hard.

That's the price of racing I suppose.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point, it is only conjecture. I did not have Donato, or Rockland, or Calvo build my trans. It is not uncommon to hurt 3rd on an upshift, but I haven't heard of too many 4ths failing with under 500hp at the wheel. Had to do several laps over several sessions with the shifter stuck in 4th. It freed up on cooldowns.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21