Another Gen 2 Dead Water Pump

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck was right! He told me that he is seeing more and more failed water pumps in all of the GEN 2's not just the magic 2002(?) model year.

My car has been running progressively hotter since last year. When it used to keep the needle dead on the center marker of the temp gauge, it now, would stay just right of the right if center hash mark.
I believe this to be cause by a restriction in the radiator. I pulled it, had it inspected and then rebuilt. The original radiator had ~60% blockage at 57K miles.

I got it together but the car still ran hot. I burped the system at least 20 times and that seemed to help but the temp would be directly proportional to the RPMs. On the throttle and up goes the temp, but it wouldn't drop.
I replaced the thermostat with a 180 unit. That lowered the temp at least until I jumped on the throttle. Then I would have thermal runaway on my hands.

So tonight, I pulled the water pump....the impeller spins independently of the drive shaft, Just as CHUCK had suggested. The new pump will be going in the car shortly. I hope that I don't have to do this again any time soon.

Can't wait to get it back together to see how cool she runs.
I also installed Roe High Flow Cats. I have yet to hear what the car sounds like.

For a Recap, If your driving a gen2 and the coolant temperature goes up really quickly after a hard acceleration, but does not come back down fairly quickly, your water pump may be the cause.

Last edited:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had mine go on a 2000 GTS a couple of years ago, there's a very simple 30 second test mentioned in the service manual to find out if your pump is actually faulty

replacement came from Tators Garage :)

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
2001 seemed to me to be the worst year for water pumps. Tom Sessions changed out our 01 water pump last week, though it never really acted up...but I wanted to remove it since we had other services to perform. Though the impeller was OK, I feel better given the history !!!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 was the year of the bad water pump, they had a plastic impeller that would often break or crack. I've seen many a track car have to go home because of that. I don't remember it carrying over to 2002 though.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2001 seemed to me to be the worst year for water pumps.

2001 was the year of the bad water pump, they had a plastic impeller that would often break or crack. I've seen many a track car have to go home because of that. I don't remember it carrying over to 2002 though.

Exactly Correct, and a TSB to back it up. [The bazillionth case of The Year Matters.] That '01 impeller would work fine at low speeds, cruising, but go WOT for a bit and it would freewheel on its shaft and temps would peg. Caused a lot of "intermitent" overheat complaints....

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '02 came with a NOS spare waterpump and belt when I bought it....I have to assume it already the pump replaced, but I'm good if it ever goes again.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump! Anybody know! I wouldn't mind sending my old one off to be rebuilt!

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
Can these be rebuilt?

And with a metal impeller?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump! Anybody know! I wouldn't mind sending my old one off to be rebuilt!

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
Can these be rebuilt?
And with a metal impeller?

Is a metal impeller better than the one that is on there? Do the older water pumps have metal impellers? I haven't been reading about any pre-2001 or maybe pre-2000 water pump failures.

I had done some research a while back and found an ACDelco replacement pump that has a description that says that it has a metal impeller. I never did need a pump; however, so, I never went through with a purchase: Rock Auto ACDelco Water Pump Part # 252541

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought the Rock Auto Water Pump for the same reason....it was supposed to have a metal impeller. It came with the same glass filled resin design as stock. I didn't take any pictures of it and went ahead and put it on the car. Yeah, I found it frustrating ,but assumed the item description wrong.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are the replacement oem pumps the same plastic impellers or have they been improved. If not what brand is e best replacement? Where do you get them

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All plastic.

Don't make too much of a fuss over plastic impellers guys. there was manufacturing issues, nothing more. MOST cars use plastic impellers, including ALL of the Gen-3 and Gen-4 cars. Have you guys ever heard of an impeller failure on those? I haven't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth