Any differences between 2008 & 2009 ACRs?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe the computer and throttle response with the drive by wire is improved in the 09's. Weight gain is under 10 lbs for strengthening of frame for crash damage prevention.

Most will install the Mopar computer so the drive by wire will be optimized for the track anyways, so basically little difference.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, 2008 black with red drivers side stripe is by far the quickest color:headbang:

LOL, funny you should mention that. Here's a vid of me at Willow Springs with NASA in HPDE 4, I also spent a weekend with the ACR at Viperdays, the car is absolutely incredible. Completely stock without so much as a track alighment and worn tires I turned a 1:31 flat. A little tweaking and 1:28's or better are in it :2tu:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkkX0ldchos[/media]

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can save $20k on an '08, you will have more money in the budget for track fees and mods!

Some deals are starting to pop up on used 2008 ACRs, that's the reason I ask. The '08 I drove was perfect, I was wondering if the '09 improved on it. I wore out the Pilot Cups in 4 track days and hadda buy a new set from Archer at VD, on the cheap at $1,550 per set.

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some deals are starting to pop up on used 2008 ACRs, that's the reason I ask. The '08 I drove was perfect, I was wondering if the '09 improved on it. I wore out the Pilot Cups in 4 track days and hadda buy a new set from Archer at VD, on the cheap at $1,550 per set.

Thats a great price. The Cups do burn fast. Im getting another set of sidewinders to put Hoosier tires on for the track. In the long run it will be cheaper than replacing the cups three times a season.

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tenney, I'm more concerned with differences on a road course at 10/10ths. I heard about the rear being reinforced but that's it.

I think the small variance between cars may be almost as significant as the year model differences. I have an 09 ACR and have two friends that have 08 ACR's, but there are too many variables to say if one year model is faster on track than the other. I would say a used 08 that is already broken in would be faster at first than a new 09. I personally do not think 9 lbs of sprung weight(weight added to 09) is that big of a deal and mostly likely variances in motors and chassis setup will more than makeup the difference. To my knowledge the rear reinforcement is just a new bracket surrounding the fuel fill line for crash protection. However, from an investment perspective the 09 possibly being the last year for the "Dodge Viper" before it become "???? Viper" may have value?
-David

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the 08 would have more value because of the record set at the ring?

Yeah I could see that point as well, 08 ACR will always be the car that set the record, I think color matters as well, so pick the color you like and that will decide what year model you get.

-David

Last edited:

SRTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last I heard, there was some confusion regarding the colors of the '09 ACRs. What colors did they continue from '08, and which colors were new for the ACR in '09 (besides graphite)?? I know that the snake skin green was never built in the ACR in '09, but I also remember SRT saying that a "Diamond Black" or something along those lines would be introduced. Also, was '08 the only year for the Black ACR with red driver's stripe??

Thanks!

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a solid graphite ACR (2009). Since I don't have the black center or ACR stripe so I have saved the 9 additional pounds in weight on the paint :lmao:

Burn a bit more rubber off the Cups & take a big dump before the race and I'll have the fastest ACR!!!!:headbang:

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a great price. The Cups do burn fast. Im getting another set of sidewinders to put Hoosier tires on for the track. In the long run it will be cheaper than replacing the cups three times a season.

I've used Hoosiers exclusivly on my last Viper, mostly R3S06s. They are only good for only about 3 track days but only cost about $1,200 a set.

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going to use the R6 tire and hope to get close to a season of track time out of them and use the cups on the street.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pe- I hope to see you at Pocono Memorial day weekend for the Venom Cup we need you to help kick NJ,s butt

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought i read somewhere that weight difference between 08 and 09 was 40 lbs...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Ron,

Are you going to Viper Days / NARRA next weekend at Buttonwillow? Details are on the So Cal Website at: . : : SoCal Viper : : .

My 09 ACR is here and is just about ready for the track.

I've driven both 08's and 09's and the only real difference I could feel was the throttle response and low end torque. Both felt better in the 2009.

Install the Belangers and the Mopar race controller and the slight tuning improvement of the 09 is gone.

See you at the track,

Dan

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last I heard, there was some confusion regarding the colors of the '09 ACRs. What colors did they continue from '08, and which colors were new for the ACR in '09 (besides graphite)?? I know that the snake skin green was never built in the ACR in '09, but I also remember SRT saying that a "Diamond Black" or something along those lines would be introduced. Also, was '08 the only year for the Black ACR with red driver's stripe??

Thanks!

I think you may have meant that there were no SSG ACR's in '08? 2009 production chart shows 30 SSG ACR's, distributed among five different stripe schemes. Most of 'em (19) look like mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi