Anybody else worried about 1st year production issues?

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep asking if the Gen5 has the same faulty window mechanism that SRT will not stand behind in the Gen3 and Gen 4?? I asked the Grail Keeper and in another thread that was started on the Gen5. I"m sure going to press the question at the VOI in Charlotte. Does anyone else think that this should be discussed?--Dave
Dave
I am all over this one......They need to be pressed on this one and pressed hard as this issue has the potential to affect so many cars. I really doubt that this part was re-engineered. This is a perfect example of an organization that knew problems existed yet never issued a recall because it would cost too much money to correct. Granted, this window modulator issue and a signal control multifunction switch that would not shut off the signal light indicator whenever I turned left were the only problems I ever had with my car so really in the grand scheme of things not a lot of issues. I even replaced the multifunction control and the problem still never went away. This was it, not a whole lot of problems with my gen 3 but every new car will have its kinks to be worked out. I just hope they take care of the new cars. With my particular situation, I just leave the drivers side window open about a half inch and manually turn the signal off when I complete the corner. It would be a real shame if this problem creeps up on the new Gens.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT Engineers answered the window regulator question in the recent chat. It has been addressed. As for Gen V assembly, keep in mind that SRT personnel visited the Ferrari plant to learn about its assemby techniques. SRT and Connor are not operating in a vacuum. They, unlike past years (except perhaps for part of 2009 and 2010 after the reorganization), have a sister organization which produces cars that are subject to intense, almost irrational, dealer and customer scrutiny. It would be very embarrassing and almost unpatriotic for the Connors Avenue plant employees to allow their Italian brethren to best them on quality. It should be a matter of American and Detroit pride for them to show the world that they can produce a flawless, world class Gen V Viper.

It will come down to the quality of leadership at the plant. Hopefully that person will have and be able to communicate an infectious passion and love for the Viper that permeates the work environment and provides each plant employee with an almost religious fervor to get it right each and every time. I know that they can do it and, as someone suggested in a prior thread, I hope that there is some sort of VCA event when production starts for us to attend and show our support for the Connor Avenue Team. The tee shirt for the July 1, 2010 event says: "The Finish Line". The tee shirt for this event could say: "The Start" or "The Beginning" or something similar.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep asking if the Gen5 has the same faulty window mechanism that SRT will not stand behind in the Gen3 and Gen 4?? I asked the Grail Keeper and in another thread that was started on the Gen5. I"m sure going to press the question at the VOI in Charlotte. Does anyone else think that this should be discussed?--Dave

You asked this question to the SRT Engineers and got a very detailed answer. Didn't you read it? See post #104 in the SRT chat. What more do you want? And to the others piling on, go check it out, too!

Bill

Last edited:

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am on hold with a gen five due to the window regulator issue. I have replaced 3 as well on my prowler too. Both vehicles have 6000 miles. Sad but true, until they fess up and fix it I am done. Regulators started at 300.00 each years back and now are pushing 500 - 600 each for the prowler if you can find them. I am tired of the tubing and hose clamp fixes!!!!!!!

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You asked this question to the SRT Engineers and got a very detailed answer. Didn't you read it? See post #104 in the SRT chat. What more do you want? And to the others piling on, go check it out, too!

Bill
Bill, I cannot find the SRT chat...I must be blind....help...Thx so much.

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I never experienced this window issue on either my 2005 or 2008, it appears from SRT's post that it was a known issue that was likely caused by damage from improper installation at the plant. If that were the case I can't understand why it has not been addressed. It is precisely these types of shortsighted dealings that can linger on in a buyers mind for years(or get lots of attention on the forums in realtime) and ultimately keep people from purchasing. The "new" SRT needs to get out in front of any issues fast, and not allow any negative perceptions to catch root. I remember when the Z06 roofs were peelng off, and GM said it was all BS. That is until numerous videos started popping up on the web. After that, GM looked like a bunch of stooges, and there were a bunch or really ********** owners venting all over the web!

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swexlin quote:
{An excellent question, one which I have wondered about. As the owner of numerous Mopar products over the last 20 years (from Neons, trucks, and a Jeep to my current stable), I've seen (and experienced) this myself. }

While I might share some of your concerns, I hope you're not comparing build quality on a neon to that of a Viper... I have had a '95 and '03 Viper and never had problems with either one, except that damn plastic strip on the top of the door panel that always bubbles and cracks.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Swexlin quote:
{An excellent question, one which I have wondered about. As the owner of numerous Mopar products over the last 20 years (from Neons, trucks, and a Jeep to my current stable), I've seen (and experienced) this myself. }

While I might share some of your concerns, I hope you're not comparing build quality on a neon to that of a Viper... I have had a '95 and '03 Viper and never had problems with either one, except that damn plastic strip on the top of the door panel that always bubbles and cracks.

Not at all - just making a general statement. In fact, my 2000 Neon was the most reliable, trouble free vehicle I ever owned, from any brand. Now, my 04.5 Ram - a different story.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sure the 2014 model will have some small improvements over the 2013 as usual but more important is the possibility of an ACR or rag top version for those who want that model. Im waiting for the ACR ******** or lighter track model.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang