Anybody else worried about 1st year production issues?

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With so many changes to the new Viper I'm a little worried that there are going to be some major issues. With a bunch of new subcontractors supplying the paintwork, block, oil pan, front cover, valve cover, exhaust manifolds and likely dozens other parts I'd be surprised if it all comes together smoothly (both in quality, fitment and production timing). If numerous problems materialize, I would suspect that Dodge's new "targeted audience" will be far less forgiving than we loyal Viper owners of the past, especially if these "new" owners are not familiar with Dodge's less than stellar dealer service experience.

Besides my GTS, I also own a 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8 which was built during the bankruptcy and vendor screwing-over timeframe, and I can tell you from experience that the sudden switch over to new and unproven suppliers will cause quality issues. My current ride has numerous problems which my 2007 SRT8 didn't.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's to be expected but I also think that Ralph and team worked very carefully to get everything right since they knew they had to expand the brand and the new audience they were targeting expects a high level of quality out of the automobile they are buying.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '08 was near perfect, and I'd expect the same, as quality control has gone up in most companies since then.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest concern is who is going to have the expertise to work on the car IF you need warranty work.
Local Dodge dealer? Bwaaaahaaaa............

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest concern is who is going to have the expertise to work on the car IF you need warranty work.

SRT mentioned in their chat on Wednesday that in order to even be able to sell a Viper they HAD to have an SRT/VIper tech on hand. NOw I know if you buy your car out of state and need work in your state and there is no Viper tech that will be problematic but it looks like SRT may have a solution for that.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just mentioned something I never considered, and you're right. Be careful what you wish for. Targeting higher end clients is going to bring higher-end expectations. With the exception of a few special Viper friendly dealerships, most I wouldn't trust to fill up the wiper fluid reservoir.

While it seems like a monumental project, it wouldn't surprise me to see SRT only dealers and SRT service. Better trained, less ********, friendlier. The only problem with this scenario is it's a big gamble with an even bigger price tag.

All my other predictions have come true...time will tell.

Reaction score
The best thing is that the quality of all Chrysler/Dodge products is way up from historical standards. The warranty claims and work through the shops has been cut almost in half from just a couple years ago, that alone makes me very comfortable, Ralph and the team won't be dealing with many if any quality bugs on the new baby. :2tu:

F

FrgMstr

Never buy a car the first model year out.....that said, I don't follow that rule. :)

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT mentioned in their chat on Wednesday that in order to even be able to sell a Viper they HAD to have an SRT/VIper tech on hand. NOw I know if you buy your car out of state and need work in your state and there is no Viper tech that will be problematic but it looks like SRT may have a solution for that.

In my specific area/region, it would be a smart move on the part of SRT/Viper/Gilles, to appoint Chuck Tator as an SRT Viper approved warranty work shop!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who you think fixed the car on the mule when it went south? the dealer can call the big guns and hold thier hand through the repair.... lol....

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my specific area/region, it would be a smart move on the part of SRT/Viper/Gilles, to appoint Chuck Tator as an SRT Viper approved warranty work shop!

I agree. :hello: Are you listening SRT?

It's the least they could do considering how "their previous masters" screwed him over during the "consolidation":mad:

Last edited:

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One of the lucky ones ... I know my local viper tech is going to get trained on it when the training is available. Of course I'll have to win a lottery to afford a new one :)

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ongoing maintenance is my biggest concern. In Colorado we have one good Viper Tech and he works for a Chrysler/Jeep dealer not a Dodge dealer. Fortunately any Chrysler dealer can do warranty work on any Chrysler product and I still take my cars to him. Without good Viper techs in every major market the Gen V might be in trouble. No one wants to buy an expensive car and then not be able to get it serviced near home. Admittedly the Viper is actually not that hard to work on but the techs need to be trained to be careful with the cars and not drive them like lunatics. If there was a top notch mechanic that I could trust not to wreck my car I would let them work on it but there are too many horror stories about techs wrecking Vipers or doing poor work. Given the Viper is a low volume sports car I can't see too many dealers sending techs to Viper school if they are only going to sell maybe 1 or 2 a year. Sure Woodhouse, Roanoke, and Tomball will but they are not exactly close enough to me to send my car to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure Woodhouse, will, but they are exactly close enough to me to send my car to.

Maybe it's time we all think about moving to Belleview. Look what $500k will buy near Bill- on 5 acres:omg: Enough to build our own freaking roadcourses!

You must be registered for see images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You must be registered for see images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Property Details

General Information

4 bed
5 bath
4302 sq ft
5.00 Acres
$525,000
$122
Single Family Home

Millstone Estate
Not Available
Not Available

Property Features
  • County: Washington County
  • Area: 270
  • Subdivision: Millstone Estate
  • Approximately 5 acre(s)
  • 20 total rooms
  • Type: Ranch
  • Family room
  • Kitchen
  • Master Bedroom is 17.10x19, Main Floor, Ceiling Fans, Walk-In Closet, Wall to Wall Carpeting, Whirlpool, Window Covering
  • Living room is 16.2x16.5, Main Floor, Cathedral/Vaulted Ceiling, Fireplace, Wall to Wall Carpeting, Window Covering
  • Dining room is 12x16, Main Floor, Balcony/Deck, Wall to Wall Carpeting
  • Family room is Below Grade, Fireplace, Wall to Wall Carpeting, Window Covering
  • Kitchen is 15x14.5, Main Floor, Ceramic Tile Floor, Pantry, Window Covering
  • Laundry room is 10x7, Main Floor, Ceramic Tile Floor
  • 2 fireplaces
  • 3 car garage(s)
  • Attached parking
  • Forced air heat
  • Cooling features: Cooling,Heat Pump
  • Horse(s) allowed
  • Corner lot
  • Lot size is between 5 and 10 acres
  • Utilities present: Public Sewer, Public Water
  • School District: Blair
  • Elementary School: Blair
  • Jr. High School: Blair
  • High School: Blair
  • Swimming pool(s)
  • Basement
  • Dining room
  • Office
  • Laundry room
  • MainFloorBedroom
  • Master Bedroom
  • Living Room
  • MainFloorBathroom
  • Parking features: Heated
Heating Features

Heat Pump Heating, Radiant Heating, Zoned Heating,Electric Heating
Exterior Construction

Asphalt, Stucco, Vinyl Siding
Roofing

Composition
Interior Features

Walk-Out Basement, Foyer/Entry, Bedroom 2 is 15.3x12.4, Central Vacuum, Exercise Room, Security System, Wetbar, Dishwasher, Disposal, Microwave, Oven, Range, Refrigerator, Water Softener, Main Floor SqFt:2302, Below Grade SqFt (finished):2000
Exterior Features

Covered Patio/Deck, Deck/Balcony, Decorative Lighting, Patio, Pool Inground, Porch, Sprinkler System, Storage Shed, Rolling, Full Fence, Assessment Includes: Common Area Maintenance

:omg:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With so many changes to the new Viper I'm a little worried that there are going to be some major issues. With a bunch of new subcontractors supplying the paintwork, block, oil pan, front cover, valve cover, exhaust manifolds and likely dozens other parts I'd be surprised if it all comes together smoothly (both in quality, fitment and production timing). If numerous problems materialize, I would suspect that Dodge's new "targeted audience" will be far less forgiving than we loyal Viper owners of the past, especially if these "new" owners are not familiar with Dodge's less than stellar dealer service experience.

Besides my GTS, I also own a 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8 which was built during the bankruptcy and vendor screwing-over timeframe, and I can tell you from experience that the sudden switch over to new and unproven suppliers will cause quality issues. My current ride has numerous problems which my 2007 SRT8 didn't.

An excellent question, one which I have wondered about. As the owner of numerous Mopar products over the last 20 years (from Neons, trucks, and a Jeep to my current stable), I've seen (and experienced) this myself.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The best thing is that the quality of all Chrysler/Dodge products is way up from historical standards. The warranty claims and work through the shops has been cut almost in half from just a couple years ago, that alone makes me very comfortable, Ralph and the team won't be dealing with many if any quality bugs on the new baby. :2tu:

This is also true. I've had a few minor issues (the standard LX issues) on my SRT8. My 04 Cummins Ram was a different story. My 03 Viper, had all the recalls done, and (knock wood) hopefully had all it's issues worked out with the previous owner. Now that I've "started" looking at 08s, I guess I'll be careful there as well.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of the lucky ones ... I know my local viper tech is going to get trained on it when the training is available. Of course I'll have to win a lottery to afford a new one :)

Same here. Victor and I live close to one of the best. That being said, I actually take my Viper to my other local dealer, whose Viper tech left last year for another job, for a local municipality. However, they still service my Viper and SRT8, and do a good job. That being said, since they selll many Chally SRT8s, and are trying to get into that side, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get SRT status.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There isn't a Dodge dealer in the state of New York I would trust to put air in my tires right.
It's pathetic. Nothing but horror stories from these "five star" dealers.
Closest dealer to me on Long Island took a friends Viper in for service on a window regulator.
When she got the car back, it has 100 extra miles on it and an empty tank of gas that she had topped off on the way in.
Customer service at its best.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ford GT was one of the most over-engineered vehicles in recent history and it had some issues. I expect the same story with the new Viper. However, I still hope to purchase one. Tomball Dodge is only 30 minutes away. :)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not worried. I take my car to Towne Chrysler,Dodge,Jeep. Hamburg NY. The tech knows the cars inside and out. He is the only one allowed to touch a Viper. Fully trained. I always tip because he takes extreme care and would lose money at the book rates. Just about 10 miles North of me is Viper Specialty. No Waranty work but lots of custom engine,tranny,frame,body etc work. GTS Bruce

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, I don't see anything to worry about. There are changes, but there is also a lot that is the same. I'm not saying it will be issue free, but I don't see a ton of problems either.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a new model there will be issues but usually of the minor variety. I would be that they still used those terrible window control modules....the ones that cause your window to not go up properly when closing the door. I pretty much wrecked a door panel getting inside the door to see nothing but a cable that had plastic pieces missing. Pretty much guaranteed with the new cars. I just wish these parts were re-engineered with the ability to fit into our Gen 3s and 4s. With this part its just a matter of time. This was the biggest PITA that a lot of us experienced.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lawrenzo,

Well why don't you move out here to Blair ( not Belleview ) , and I will personally drive your car in for service -- or get Jorgensen to do it. Heck, just up the street from me is an even better buy, at a bit over 500K with 2 acres , a three car garage, and a 3 car detached brick garage.

Seriously, alot of the contractors are not new, with Prefix doing the paint, whereas in the past they just did stripes and specialty stuff. This is alot better than the last few years where painting was done in Indiana. The leather and many of the interior pieces are with some of the same suppliers that Ferrari and Alfa use, so they should have a good handle on that. Talking to a few other vendors , it appears there are quite a few working on the car that had strong ties to SRT/Viper Team in the past. With an updated engine , tranny and other items, I think the first year will be relatively trouble free. We often forget that even in years when we have had a few concerns, they are usually much less than the TSBs/recalls for our Chevrolet brother. Even have had past Corvette owners tell me about how many fewer concerns they had with their Vipers.

I know Ralph, and team, have really worked on fit and finish and they promise panel fitment simialr to all the other lines in SRT.

Last edited:

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry YOU don't have a quality tech in your area. but remember some people here at Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep Techs. ;) maybe you should check threads around here where the "local dodge dealer" actually even helped people from outside the country get there viper back on that road.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a new model there will be issues but usually of the minor variety. I would be that they still used those terrible wondow control modules....the ones that cause your window to not go up properly when closing the door. I pretty much wrecked a door panel getting inside the door to see nothing but a cable that had plastic pieces missing. Pretty much guaranteed with the new cars. I just wish these parts were re-engineered with the ability to fit into our Gen 3s and 4s. With this part its just a matter of time. This was the biggest PITA that a lot of us experienced.
I'm pretty sure I remember someone stating that the window regulators had been redesigned for the new gen.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I keep asking if the Gen5 has the same faulty window mechanism that SRT will not stand behind in the Gen3 and Gen 4?? I asked the Grail Keeper and in another thread that was started on the Gen5. I"m sure going to press the question at the VOI in Charlotte. Does anyone else think that this should be discussed?--Dave

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep asking if the Gen5 has the same faulty window mechanism that SRT will not stand behind in the Gen3 and Gen 4?? I asked the Grail Keeper and in another thread that was started on the Gen5. I"m sure going to press the question at the VOI in Charlotte. Does anyone else think that this should be discussed?--Dave
this file may go in the same one as the imploding windows

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh