Anyone else notice the Gen5 trolls have not been around

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, the guys that continually said the car did not have enough power, did not look very good, was not better than their prior gens, wanted to redesign it in every way, all the while saying they could afford one if they wanted too and were passionate about the car...

Odd, the car starts selling and many more real owners with actual experience start posting their praise for the car and all of a sudden crickets. A price decrease, increased sales and even the option to tune does wonders.

I for one am so glad to hear "crickets" when it comes to this crowd. I even scanned the C7 forums and saw some of the familiar names over there. hilarious.

This site is so much more enjoyable when folks are speaking to facts that they have experienced vs opinions that they state as facts.

enough of my rant, just noticed this past week of posts has been so much more positive, insightful and entertaining. Love hearing from and seeing the new owners cars and reactions.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At $85k the Viper has plenty of power, looks exotic , and is the best gen yet, with out ANY doubt !!!!

But...... At $135k it was under powered, not that exotic looking, and the gen 2 was still better.

What a difference $15k does !!! Especially when combined with dealers giving up another $15k on the gts models for a combined $30k off
The 2013 price.

The $15k off was the B-E-S-T thing since sliced bread ...

just wondering if the $85k start price will eat into the Hellcats sales ....

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The simple fact is that its a very nice looking car with a very nice interior and a V10 with 645 hp...it has ran 10s stock by a private owner and is the fastest car ever on several tracks...

When you really think about it...what's not to like?

Im cross shopping the genV r8 and gallardo.

I know for a fact that if I purchased the gallardo or r8 and a genV rolls up next to me at a spot light that my man parts are gonna shribble. The viper is a scary beaste to any competition other than a aventador or mclaren

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nissan GTR and the 991/911 Turbo S....

The Gen.5 just needs a DCT Auto/Updated LC and tect.and it will be able to hang with the consistent under 3 second /10 second club at the red light/test and tune Friday Nights.....

If not,it will continued to be whooped at those venues .....

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is nothing but bait lol. But as for Twister post since you brought it up you forgot the Hellcat twins and the two cars mentioned by FLL. The G 5 is not dominant in this era in the streets. On track though we all know what it will do to most of the cars in its class and even those far out of its class like the MP4, Aventador etc. No contest.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B
The simple fact is that its a very nice looking car with a very nice interior and a V10 with 645 hp...it has ran 10s stock by a private owner and is the fastest car ever on several tracks...

I know for a fact that if I purchased the gallardo or r8 and a genV rolls up next to me at a spot light that my man parts are gonna shribble. The viper is a scary beaste to any competition other than a aventador or mclaren

You've been cross shopping cars for years.
And you don't know what you want because your only concern is what other people think.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also hysterical how lots of prior gen guys whom were self proclaimed naysayers are now all buying it. Perhaps bashing the car for two years to in turn adversely effect resale value worked in their favor and was part of their plan all along? But hey at least they were viper guys. The straight trolls like srtviper etc were just wanna be kids, keyboard gangsters. Imo viper forums should have it like the Ford GT forums and not allow posting unless you have a VIN. ;)

LouN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the trolls got banned both here and at VOA. Thank god. We owners and enthusiasts shouldn't have to put up with their infantile s#@t!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Jon you are correct. But in the past two years Ive been trying to make up my mind I put away enough money to pay cash on a gen V. The funny thing is that when you actually do have the cash.....its hard to part with.

Not a high roller by any means whatsoever. But sometimes it pays to wait.

Btw I have owned three vipers. Not completely all talk.

To get back on subject. The viper is the deal of the century at 85-100k

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redsled,why would I not mention the Porsche 911 Turbo S in the response.A 10.70s street car is 8 car lengths ahead of a 11.50s Gen 5 Viper on the street and drag strip in a quarter mile race(Reg People/Not Nineball). That is no bash on Gen.5,just how it is...A Gen.5 is a excellent car and 11.50s is also good,but not to the standard today.I had a 1997 Gen 2 for 10 years and it ran 12.0 @ 122 ,and it was the bad axx of it day.I don,t ever remember getting beat in it and it was and still one of the best looking cars ever....But that was the 90s...

Don,t hate hearing Turbo S,go drive one or buy one if ya got $$$$ and you will see what I am talking about....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V properly driven is an 11.2 or 11.3 car on street tires. Furthermore, the Gen V's design is far superior to the current Porsche design. The Porsche is now 2 inches longer than the Viper and has gotten to the point where it has become a bloated caricature of its design heritage. As all of the recent tests show, the TA Gen V variant is superior to the Turbo Porsche on a road course when each is driven by equally skilled drivers.

When and if Dodge ever decides to make a Viper variant whose principal mission is stop light to stop light acceleration or lawful drag racing, I will wager that it will blow the doors off of its competition just as the new Hellcats will. Yes. You can say Dodge has not done that yet. But Dodge pride is deep and some Gen Vs with positive displacement supercharged engines are known to have been provided to Dodge. It was also rumored that they developed 800 plus HP.

So maybe one of these days. there will be a positive displacement supercharged Viper available or a Mopar kit. Or, in the alternative, maybe something as simple as an open code off road controller from Mopar that will allow the installation of an after market positive displacement supercharger kit made by a well known and reputable manufacturer.

With a base price of under 85K, even if the cost of the kit with installation is 15 or 20K, the Gen V will still be far, far less than the cost of the Turbo Porsche and look much better. 2015 911 Turbo - base price 151,100, 2015 911 TurboS - base price 182,700.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redsled,why would I not mention the Porsche 911 Turbo S in the response.A 10.70s street car is 8 car lengths ahead of a 11.50s Gen 5 Viper on the street and drag strip in a quarter mile race(Reg People/Not Nineball). That is no bash on Gen.5,just how it is...A Gen.5 is a excellent car and 11.50s is also good,but not to the standard today.I had a 1997 Gen 2 for 10 years and it ran 12.0 @ 122 ,and it was the bad axx of it day.I don,t ever remember getting beat in it and it was and still one of the best looking cars ever....But that was the 90s...

Don,t hate hearing Turbo S,go drive one or buy one if ya got $$$$ and you will see what I am talking about....

Funny I was against getting a Porsche, drove the 997 Turbo S and I was sold. This car is awesome. Happy ever since.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If I'm in a Gallardo, I could care less who pulls up to me. The sound alone starting from the light would be priceless.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy Bob,I know you Love Dodge and whats a better looking car is opinion,not a fact that like the 5 10 second cars mentioned will whoop and Gen.5 in a drag race...I hope Dodge makes your dream Drag Pack Viper,that car will surly be in the 10 second club...As for the road track,any time you want to go play with your TA on a real track(round a round)well go do it and will see what happens...Relax Now.....

But,I did get some new Pilot Sport Cup 2,(Like on GT3)so ya know....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I recall, I invited you last year with my old car and you could not make it. This winter we will see if we can meet up at Homestead at a track event to play a little. Two geezers.

No cheater tires. Only stock OEM that come with the car.

Easy Bob,I know you Love Dodge and whats a better looking car is opinion,not a fact that like the 5 10 second cars mentioned will whoop and Gen.5 in a drag race...I hope Dodge makes your dream Drag Pack Viper,that car will surly be in the 10 second club...As for the road track,any time you want to go play with your TA on a real track(round a round)well go do it and will see what happens...Relax Now.....

But,I did get some new Pilot Sport Cup 2,(Like on GT3)so ya know....

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is nothing but bait lol. But as for Twister post since you brought it up you forgot the Hellcat twins and the two cars mentioned by FLL. The G 5 is not dominant in this era in the streets. On track though we all know what it will do to most of the cars in its class and even those far out of its class like the MP4, Aventador etc. No contest.

Bait is right...tisk, tisk.

I have hot lapped on a road course with every car mentioned in this thread so far and none have been quicker than the TA, comparing stock to stock. But lap times become more dependant on driver skill at this rarified level anyways, and I'd suggest the better driver would post the lowest lap times in which ever of these particular cars he was driving.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. And compared to you, I am a novice. Only a couple road course days a year.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know...only two or three guys ever went and drag raced their vipers and posted here. They were all in y he 10.9-11.5 range at 127-130 mph. For a rear wheeled manual that is sick.

As well the genV is in videos door to door from a rolling start with the 180 k Porsche. Again considering manual vs paddle shift again the viper is just sick.

The 2015 may be a lil quicker than the 13s and 14s. Time will tell.

The p car is very nice technology and speed wise. But for 180 k I would prefer a car that stands out a lil more.

The 911 tt is the zr1 of the upper level sports cars. Rather thats a good thing or not is subjective

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did he get banned here? I think the other site banned him. I actually thought he was pretty funny and he actually owned a viper.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as I know...only two or three guys ever went and drag raced their vipers and posted here. They were all in y he 10.9-11.5 range at 127-130 mph. For a rear wheeled manual that is sick.

As well the genV is in videos door to door from a rolling start with the 180 k Porsche. Again considering manual vs paddle shift again the viper is just sick.

The 2015 may be a lil quicker than the 13s and 14s. Time will tell.

The p car is very nice technology and speed wise. But for 180 k I would prefer a car that stands out a lil more.

The 911 tt is the zr1 of the upper level sports cars. Rather thats a good thing or not is subjective
2015 Viper should be interesting. With like 450 Vipers on dealer lots, why even build the thing until you get your **** together. 5hp, are you kidding me!!!!!

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I witnessed a Gen.5 Viper with a very experienced driver with drag radials run all day long(at least 10 runs)at Palm Beach.The car is bullet proof,as they ran the piss out of it and it did not break. The best time was 11.40s(60/70s Avg)...You are correct,that is excellent for a stick that is so difficult to launch at a drag strip and then that old school of actually manually shifting gears..While Fun,not completive at all with DCTs... (911 TS will go 10.70s ever time ,time after time)1.50 60 ft and you are 10.60s).Stock w. Pirellis.

I drag raced Vipers for 15 years(2 Gen 2s and a Gen 4) ,I know how difficult they are to run and are very inconstant..That is just how the Beasts sre,but fun for sure....
It is a very good feeling to go how at the end of a race day in a Viper and you have not crashed it or gotten injured in it....

Bob,you are on for Homestead via the 911 Turbo S and the TA..I will put the Pirellis back on for ya..The Pilot Cups 2 are better on the TS for the track and now can be opinioned on a new TS...

Are 50 year old Geezers now a days???? Not for me,I,ll do this racing stuff til 60 and then I am buying a new Bentley and will done with it.....

Let me know.I have two friends with Vipers ( Gen 5 and 4 ACR),I,ll see if they want to play also.....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there. The best time was 11.1. Brooks W. drove the car. It was a marketing car and had a clutch issue. There is no "injury" issue with the Gen V. It has very capable ESC. Traction control can be completely turned off but stability control cannot be completely turned off.

Like any other performance car, an incompetent driver can get herself or himself in trouble by driving beyond their skill set.

I also do not agree that the car is inconsistent. The car is the car. The driver creates the inconsistency absent a change in atmospheric conditions, adequate cool down between runs, the same track surface conditions and proper vehicle maintainence.

A capable drag racer can get a similar result race after race. A good example of this is a well known Vette drag racer known as Ranger. He is very talented and practices, practices and practices by going through the motions over and over again to increase his muscle memory and response times. A few years ago I emailed with him and he shared some of his self education techniques. He has incredible discipline.

Many people think that drag racing is an emotional sport when it is really just the opposite. It takes a very cool head to be the best.

I witnessed a Gen.5 Viper with a very experienced driver with drag radials run all day long(at least 10 runs)at Palm Beach.The car is bullet proof,as they ran the piss out of it and it did not break. The best time was 11.40s(60/70s Avg)...You are correct,that is excellent for a stick that is so difficult to launch at a drag strip and then that old school of actually manually shifting gears..While Fun,not completive at all with DCTs... (911 TS will go 10.70s ever time ,time after time)1.50 60 ft and you are 10.60s).Stock w. Pirellis.

I drag raced Vipers for 15 years(2 Gen 2s and a Gen 4) ,I know how difficult they are to run and are very inconstant..That is just how the Beasts sre,but fun for sure....
It is a very good feeling to go how at the end of a race day in a Viper and you have not crashed it or gotten injured in it....

Bob,you are on for Homestead via the 911 Turbo S and the TA..I will put the Pirellis back on for ya..The Pilot Cups 2 are better on the TS for the track and now can be opinioned on a new TS...

Are 50 year old Geezers now a days???? Not for me,I,ll do this racing stuff til 60 and then I am buying a new Bentley and will done with it.....

Let me know.I have two friends with Vipers ( Gen 5 and 4 ACR),I,ll see if they want to play also.....

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya,forgot Brooks did a 11.17,S.Fla.the Master Drag Racer..I was taking about the previous Gens I have raced (2/4s) on the issues...While I have driven a Gen.5,I have not raced one and I do agree they are way way better and safer car than the previous Gens.I do hope they add side inpact air bags on the 16s,very inportant safety device missing on Gen.5s...

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.4 in florida is very fast. Those tracks are very slow do to density altitude. An 11.4 in Florida would be a 10.8 at MIR on a negative density altitude day

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A diff opinion, your statement is partially correct. You have to look at the density altitude (DA). For each 1000 ft diff, there is 3% diff in hp. Both locations have an advantage in that they are at sea level. My point is, the DA is a variable, even at a given location.

I did see someone recently post a good time at MIR, however, when I looked at the track data, the DA was -2500. Here in Ohio we usually race at 2500 to 3000, that is at least a 15% hp diff.

For information purposes, i ran a 10.85 two weeks ago, the DA was approx 1000.

11.4 in florida is very fast. Those tracks are very slow do to density altitude. An 11.4 in Florida would be a 10.8 at MIR on a negative density altitude day

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper