ATF or not in the transmission?????

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello everyone

I have read a lot of different posts about ATF oil or normal synthetic gear oil in the transmission. What is the right oil? What happens if its wrong oil.
The service manual says: Dextron IIE ATF but lots of people go with synthetic gear oil and have no problems.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not too sure about our Viper trannies but I remember working for a friction material supplier once and what they put on clutch plates are tailored to very specific oils. The friction material science is more like a black art. The material has to be matched just right for each specific application with the right oil to get maximum performance. IMO I wouldn't go changing any oil unless it's exactly factory specs.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have read a lot of different posts about ATF oil or normal synthetic gear oil in the transmission. What is the right oil? What happens if its wrong oil.
The service manual says: Dextron IIE ATF but lots of people go with synthetic gear oil and have no problems.

If your Transmission is the original one in your 95? Use ATF! There should be a tag on the Trans telling you what fluid is in it. You could use Synthetic but it WILL shift harder in cooler weather!

terribleted13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wazzup,
I've heard of DextronII and DextronIII,what dose the "E" stand for or specify.I've used Redline and RoyalPurple ATF in Tremic Transmissions,trans replacements for cobra replicas,and have had great results.Tremic recommends GM. synchromesh fluid.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not directly applicable to your 1995 T-56 as yours was produced by Borg Warner not Tremac, (though there is a Dodge TSB that allows Castrol Syntorque in 94 ~ 98 Viper T-56's), I find it interesting to note that only Viper T-56's use anything other than ATF...

Directly from Tremac for current production T-56's....

What type of lube is recommended for my TREMEC transmission?

The following types of lube are recommended:

T-56 (Ford and GM) - Dextron III
T-56 (Viper only) - Castrol Syntorque