Baseline 1/4 Mile Results - 1999 RT/10

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took my Viper to the Route 66 Raceway on Tuesday for Test & Tune night. It was my first time running my Viper in the 1/4. I finally got some time to post my results.

The only modifications to my car are S&B filters and smooth tubes. It has 11,000 miles and is still on the original tires. Recently at the IL-VCA Dyno Day it dyno'd 399.7 RWHP completely stock and 410 RWHP with the air box and filters removed (I installed the filters and smooth tubes after the dyno event, but it is a pretty safe assumption that the car is making somewhere between those two numbers now).

My 5 runs follow (the track had the reaction time adjusted so .000 is was a perfect light):

Run R/T 60' 1/8 mile 1/4mile MPH
1 .691 2.152 8.317 12.574 116.32
2 .139 2.067 8.163 12.395 118.42
3 .054 2.110 8.229 12.471 116.12
4 .091 1.963 8.006 12.239 118.29
5 .108 1.922 7.984 12.223 118.23

I am very happy with these runs. I am confident with more practice and a better launch (or just a better driver), I could have run a 12.1 or maybe even an 11.99. As icing on the cake, run number 2 was against a ZO6 that just happened to stage next to me. He had a .08 second better reaction time than I did and therefore was ahead of me. I was really afraid that I was going to lose and bring shame to Vipers, but the car made up for my mistake and pulled it out. He ran a 12.567 @ 111.52 to my 12.395 @ 118.42 so I ended up beating him by just .0881 or about 1/2 a car length. Not sure why, but he left the track after that run.

Next week I am having my full B&B system installed. 1 3/4" headers into high flow cats and 3" exhaust. I will post again when I have the follow on dyno results and track times. The air was only about 50 degrees with low humidity on Tuesday, so I doubt that it will be apples to apples for the rest of the summer, but at least I have a solid baseline.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,you'll be ready for the SupercarsChicago shootout July 18th at GLD,with your new BB exhaust installed by Finish Line Dodge,you'll be running 11's.Nice driving viperBrother,TOOF.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously considering the full B&B exhaust as well. Please post after you test it.

Who is installing for you?

Thanks!

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David's haveing Finish Line Dodge install,should be 1/2day.
The best bang for the buck system.I like balengers/corsa but you'll be paying top $$$,along with some cutting/fitting.

OP
OP
R

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As TOOFAST said, I had the system installed by Finish Line Dodge (www.finishlinedodge.com for directions)in Glenview, IL. I just picked the car up tonight.

I really like the sound a lot better than stock, especially when I got on it a bit. Problem is I still have not been able to really get to hear it at full song yet, as I had to drive it home in Chicago rush hour traffic. It certainly is a lot louder than the stock exhaust. I took some video with sound before the install and recorded db levels with a meter. I will take some more sometime this weekend of the new sound and levels. I will try to find someone to figure out how to post that stuff.

As I stated, I like the sound a lot better, but I am going to have to get some time with it to see if I can handle how much louder it is than before. If not, I may be looking for means to quiet it down some as have are others on the board.

I was going to try to do the install myself and I am very glad that I did not. I don't know how difficult it was, Tom Burek stated that they had no problems. I do however have an exhaust leak somewhere at the front of the car. It could be a leak from the slip fit collector or from where the headers bolt up to the heads. Not cool. I gave Tom a call and he said no problem, bring it back in and they will take care of it. That is exactly the kind of thing that you pay for by going to a place like Finish Line and a service manager like Tom. No arguements or questions just, "No problem, I will take care of it." That sort of thing would have been a real pain if I did the job myself.

I also had Finish Line install the B&M shifter. It is a much better feel and shorter more positive shifts.

Once Tom takes care of that exhaust leak and another minor thing for me, I plan on trying to get it back on a Dyno and 1/4 mile track. I can't wait to see what the differences will be! I will post too the board when I have some results.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave those slip fit connections take a heat cycle or two to seal.Drive it for a week and them have it checked out.The BB system is very nice overall.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What high flow cat did you use? I did a 3" Corsa, Random Tech cat install myself and found that one RT cat had an incomplete weld under the heat shield. If you don't find the leak at the connectors, check out the cats.

OP
OP
R

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The high flow cats are the ones that came pre-welded to the rest of the cat back system direct from B&B. They appear to be nothing more than original style cats that have been cut in half length wise and with a new end put on and both ends opened up to 3". I looked at the system prior to the install, and it looked like B&B did a pretty nice welding job. Thanks for the thought and I will check it though.

OP
OP
R

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Baseline 1/4 Mile & Dyno Results - 1999 RT/10

Finally got it back to the dyno today.

Stock Rear Wheel numbers - No Filters
HP = 410.2 TQ = 450.3

With complete B&B system 1 3/4" Headers, High Flow Cats, 3" Cat Back - no filters
HP = 423.4 TQ = 461.9

I am a little disappointed in these numbers. The owner of the dyno shop, Street Stuff, stated that to make the runs comparable due to conditions I would have to add about 10 more HP to the second run. The first run was made in late April and the temp in the shop was about 65 degrees and my car was cold. Today the shop temp was 88 degrees and the car was put on the dyno within minutes of driving to the shop so the engine was very hot. I asked him about the dyno correcting for conditions and he stated that it could only adjust for conditions within about a 10 degree window. Outside of that, the runs are not comparable.

The good news is that even with the conditions, with the mods the HP and TQ were higher at every point in the curve. Additionally the peak numbers don't show how much of a difference there really is. At the higher RPM the stock setup used to really drop off in HP. The mods have really extended the upper RPM breathing.

At 6000 RPM I gained 33 RWHP and 29 lbft over the stock set up.

I will have to see if this gets me into the 11's or not.

I think I may really benifit from a VEC1 also as I am running very rich. At 3000 RPM my A/F is 13.2 and drops to 10.8 by 5400 RPM (Which is within +/- 100 RPM of my HP peak).

How do these numbers look? Should I be making more HP than this with set up? How much more HP would I make with a VEC1?

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave,couple things(all good):Your motor was totally heat soaked(could be 20RW),You don't have enough beat the snot of it miles for the computer work its best.The VEC-1 could squeeze a few ponies out,most important is the +HP/TQ.Guaranteed ready for 11's at the SupercarsChicago shootout July 18th.

OP
OP
R

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Tonight I took the Viper back to the strip for the first time post the B&B 1 3/4" headers, high flow cat, and cat back. I have put about 400 miles on the car since the install. My posts earlier in the thread detail the dyno numbers before and after.

My 3 runs from tonight follow (the track had the reaction time adjusted so .000 is was a perfect light):

Run R/T 60' 1/8 mile 1/4mile MPH
1 .116 1.993 8.070 12.281 117.86
2 .487 1.838 7.868 12.056 119.78
3 .000 1.900 7.851 12.023 118.19

Notes from the runs:
Run 1: Main problem was nerves and getting a poor launch. To add to the problem I decided to experiment on this run with leaving the car in 3rd gear through the traps. That is why my MPH is only 117.86.

Run 2: I was not really paying attention to the lights as I was more focused on trying to keep my RPM's at about 3500 and feather the clutch out. You can see that resulted in a good 60' time and good end of the 1/4 MPH.

Run 3: The highlight of the night. The .000 is not a red light or misprint. I really did run a perfect light (this is how Route 66 Dragway runs their lights) and won $50 and a plaque from the Test and Tune night sponsor. This was mostly all luck, but it made me feel good anyway. The bummer is that even though I didn't have too bad of a 60' time and I was on track the whole run to hit my goal of 11.99, I think I messed up the easiest shift. I took just a fraction of a second (.024 to be exact) too long and let up on the gas just a tad too much making that shift into fourth, otherwise I am sure that my MPH would have been 119 or 120 and I would have been in the 11's.

All in all, I am happy with my runs. I sure would have liked to get that 11.99, but at least I have a reason to go back for more. As I stated in my original post, it will be difficult to duplicate those track conditions for a while. Even with the poorer air I still ran distinctly better. Some of it was probably my driving improving, but I think most of the .2 second difference (probably more if you adjust for conditions) was due to the exhaust changes.

I would like comments on this. Is this the type of performance improvement that I should expect from the exhaust mods that I made? If not, what is wrong? The dyno showed the motor was running very rich. Will the computer correct for this given enough time? If the computer won't adapt, what can be done to help it?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You averaged about a 20hp gain across the rev range and you gained .2 in the 1/4. That sounds dead on to me. Keep in mind that every day at the track is different. Everyone expects to better there best time every time out. Unfortunately that rarely happens. If you go on a hot day and only manage 12.2’s, that is just how it goes during the summer.

I really appreciate you posting the dyno and track numbers as it is much better than the SOTP feel. I found the information you posted very helpful. Thanks,