BBK twin 67mm thottle body

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried the BBK twin 67mm throttle body? I did a search on here and found nothing with tells me that it's probably not worth looking at. Claims to increase 15RWHP and 14 RWTQ on a stock Viper with no loss in throttle response or low end torque over a single blade style.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...since stock is a dual blade....these are claiming 15rwhp over a single blade such as the X-metal throttle body?

spend the money on a tune if you haven't already had it tuned.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Two bigger blades, properly designed, should work better than one big one over the rpm range.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have been hesitant in the past to include a bigger throttle body to our SRT builds. The single blade units now available provide peak power increases but suffer from poor low speed drivability and are prone to sticking. Ilmore marine started using them with good results, but they were testing at constant engine speeds; not very compatible for street use.

BBK’s new throttle body is the best of both worlds, good low speed drivability and peak power increases. It’s machined from 356-alloy aluminum and uses a twin blade design with a tapered inlet to promote better airflow at lower engine speeds. Twin 67mm blades and computer designed inlet and outlets improve flow by 25%. Another big benefit is that this is a direct bolt on. No changing throttle blades or linkages, its plug and play.

Power increases are consistent with the single blade throttle bodies, 10-12hp (as tested on Exotic Engine Development's engine dyno). Power under the curve is much better than the single blade units.

I have tried these on supercharged and normally aspirated SRT engines with good success. Smooth power delivery and good peak power.

In stock and ready to ship for $450.00

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a message from Brandon at DC Performance and they have these units in stock. I'm going to call an order one and give it a try.

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VicTxV10,

You should be happy - Dan at DC Performance just installed one on mine and the throttle response is noticeably better.

In terms of HP increase - not sure but my paxton conservatively DC tuned car just did 684HP and 604 trq in 83 degF. I am sure it would do even better in cold weather.

DC Performance - are just the best!!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan,

Do you have any pictures you can post of this BBK unit or a web link as I could not find it on your site?

Robbie,

I just got a couple of pictures along side of the stock unit... I'll get those up ASAP.

- Brandon @ DC Performance

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here are some preliminary pictures... have to get the imaging software worked out before I can put up the larger ones..

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for your patience,

Brandon @ DC Performance

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

Nice pictures, thanks. Do you feel that this throttle body will cause any emissions problems when one goes for their state emissions test? Also for people who have purchased your DC Custom ECM Tune, will they have to send back the ECM and have it returned to use this throttle body? If so what will be the cost of the DC Custom ECM Tune update?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan,

Nice pictures, thanks. Do you feel that this throttle body will cause any emissions problems when one goes for their state emissions test? Also for people who have purchased your DC Custom ECM Tune, will they have to send back the ECM and have it returned to use this throttle body? If so what will be the cost of the DC Custom ECM Tune update?

Rob,

This is Brandon @ DC Performance (as have the rest of the posts in this thread)... I'll forward your questions to Dan right now and will respond back as soon as I have the proper information :headbang:

Thanks,

Brandon @ DC Performance

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Robbie,

Per response from Dan, the throttle body should not cause any emissions problems. Cars will pass tailpipe emissions without a problem. The throttle bodies are advertised as 50 state legal by BBK and will work fine with our current calibrations and will not need a "reflash" to use it.

Thanks again for the inquiry and please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

- Brandon @ DC Performance

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Having one installed on my car today.

Will post impressions after a few miles.

Dan

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the gen 3 BBK twin 67 mm throttle body installed 2 months ago. I did pic up 7rwhp. I have had 1 recurring problem with this TB sticking at idle when the engine is hot and causing the motor to hover to 1200-1500 rpms. The shop where the work was done agreed, that wasnt good, and had the BBK TB changed 3 times, all with new ones. Although the sticking has gotten better on the last swap when the engine is very hot it still sticks. The shop was concerned as well and went back to BBK for answers. The stock TB never had no sticking issues. I really dont understand why BBK has not researched this anomaly and fixed it prior to TB release. I think after going through 3 TB's I have the right to say this especially when the TB cost me around $500.

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X-Metal had issues with sticking blade and now you report the same with this one.

Sounds like the stock TB may be the best one for the car?:dunno:

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X-Metal had issues with sticking blade and now you report the same with this one.

Sounds like the stock TB may be the best one for the car?:dunno:

Sounds like your being a baby since u just ordered one!! :dunno:

I have the xmetal and did get some slight sticking.... I torqued the bolts better and sanded down the portion that was sticking... Not a problem since and works great!!!

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot commment on the X-metal TB however the BBK TB, which i have went through 3 of, sticks very nicely. The viper shop in SoCal that installed the BBK product tried a couple fixes and it was still sticking so it was sent back. When BBK supposedly fixed/modified the product on my 3rd TB i still have a "stinking" TB only after the motor gets very hot.

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your being a baby since u just ordered one!! :dunno:

I have the xmetal and did get some slight sticking.... I torqued the bolts better and sanded down the portion that was sticking... Not a problem since and works great!!!

Point is, that it seems that changing out the TB is probably going require some fine tuning no matter which one you get.

I got my BBK today so I'll bolt it on and see what happens. I will say this after opening the BBK, the X-Metal looks a 100 times better!! :2tu:
BBK could have cleaned up the outer casting a lot better than they did.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point is, that it seems that changing out the TB is probably going require some fine tuning no matter which one you get.

I got my BBK today so I'll bolt it on and see what happens. I will say this after opening the BBK, the X-Metal looks a 100 times better!! :2tu:
BBK could have cleaned up the outer casting a lot better than they did.

Im just givin you a hard time man! :D Let us know how the BBK works out for you!!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Might be worth loosening the TB bolts when it is HOT and then retorquing. My X-Metal did not stick on the bench but was sticking after I installed it. I loosened up the bolts and then retorqued in a different sequence and no issues since.

I cannot commment on the X-metal TB however the BBK TB, which i have went through 3 of, sticks very nicely. The viper shop in SoCal that installed the BBK product tried a couple fixes and it was still sticking so it was sent back. When BBK supposedly fixed/modified the product on my 3rd TB i still have a "stinking" TB only after the motor gets very hot.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocket you mean the bolts that attach it to the intake or the bolts that attach the blade?

Might be worth loosening the TB bolts when it is HOT and then retorquing. My X-Metal did not stick on the bench but was sticking after I installed it. I loosened up the bolts and then retorqued in a different sequence and no issues since.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Installed "cold" the bolts could prevent the TB from thermally expanding and causing interference with the expanding blade. I'll give the "hot" install a try.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have any problems with my Xmetal and it was installed cold. You might retorque it after a full run (reached operating temp)/cool-down. I do believe if you torque when hot, it will loosen when it gets cold. Metals expand when hot.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wife drove my SRTC home from DC on Thursday after BBK throttle body install.

1.5 hours in LA's nasty stop and go traffic, 85 F outside, no sticky throttle or hanging idle.

Maybe BBK figured it out or we just got lucky?

Throttle more responsive for sure.

Will try it out again next weekend.

Dan

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, installed the BBK Saturday afternoon and took a drive. :drive: No idle issues at all after driving about an hour or so. There is a much better throttle response but that seems to be reported with the X-Metal as well. Sunday, took the car out and idle was sticking anywhere from 1100-1500. :confused: Took car home and tightened the bolts up again and idle dropped to 800 or so. You can feel the blades sticking a little when moving the blades open/close by hand. So it either needs to break in some or should I remove and sand the blades a very little amount?:dunno:

Overall, much better feel than stock, just need to fix the idle.

ViperDreams

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed a BBK throttle body on my '05 mustang and had sticking problems. I would never mess with it again. Not worth it for a couple extra HP.
I was driving the car across country on a rally and when it started (engine was hot). The car would go into safe mode at 75+ mph and I would have to restart the engine. I pulled over the first few times but eventually just threw it in neautral and restarted while still moving. What a nightmare. I will never mess with TBs again.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Still no sticking issues with the one on our SRTC.

Better throttle response and slightly better top end.

No surging yet either.

Hopefully, no issues will surface.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang