Best Polisher/Buffer Available!

menglert3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just FYI the Best Polisher/Buffer out there for the Hobbiest is the Porter-Cable Mod. 7424, It's Electric, Orbital, with Variable Speed, and Small. These work Great, you can get them online at Auto Geek, I tryed sourcing one local and no one had them. Also get the Buffing Pad Package with it. You get six differant foam pads, colorcoded for what they are used for. I am impressed with mine!
Mike E
97 GTS

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, was so happy with mine, first day I buffed out the black Beemer, then hit the Denali and I still had some energy left, so did my daughters car also. Really impressed with the ease of operation, way better than a similar but larger one I had.
:2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about GRIOTS garagerandom orbital

I started doing a little looking into that this weekend and found some stuff on line that was saying the Griots is the Porter Cable. Just looks a little different due to some cosmetic changes maybe.

If you add up the parts from Griots, like the buffer and pads, the AutoGeek might be the better deal as I think you get more loot. But one thing about all those buffers and polishers is spindle threads, backing pads, and foam pads. Make sure everything is compatible with one another, and the place you buy from will still be supplying in 10 years when you need another pad.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would pick up one of the new Forced rotation Flex buffers. The Makita BO6040 is also nice but the ergonomics of the Flex are a little better.

Do not waste your time with the Griots, PC ROB or the UDM if you actually want to do any swirl removal/paint correction as those machines are not powerful enough.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would pick up one of the new Forced rotation Flex buffers. The Makita BO6040 is also nice but the ergonomics of the Flex are a little better.

Do not waste your time with the Griots, PC ROB or the UDM if you actually want to do any swirl removal/paint correction as those machines are not powerful enough.

Backordered everywhere. None on ebay. :mad:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Backordered everywhere. None on ebay. :mad:

You could always go with the Makita BO6040 which is actually a better machine quality wise. The only difference is the trigger location and handle which is more like a rotary on the Flex. Power wise, orbit wise and backing plates available for it are the same. Actually Edge will have an adapter for the Makita before the Flex adapter is available if you use Edge pads. Using the Edge adapter makes it easier to mount pads and allows you to use 4", 6.5" and 8" pads with the machine opposed to just 6.5" pads with the delivered plate.

YouTube - Edge 2000 Flex Conversion!!!!!

New Edge Adapter for Makita BO6040 - Auto Geek Car Care, Car Wax and Auto Detailing Forum

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could always go with the Makita BO6040 which is actually a better machine quality wise. The only difference is the trigger location and handle which is more like a rotary on the Flex. Power wise, orbit wise and backing plates available for it are the same. Actually Edge will have an adapter for the Makita before the Flex adapter is available if you use Edge pads. Using the Edge adapter makes it easier to mount pads and allows you to use 4", 6.5" and 8" pads with the machine opposed to just 6.5" pads with the delivered plate.

YouTube - Edge 2000 Flex Conversion!!!!!

New Edge Adapter for Makita BO6040 - Auto Geek Car Care, Car Wax and Auto Detailing Forum

Very interesting the Edge conversion. But wouldn't you be nervous about that metal push button release in the middle of your pad?!?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started doing a little looking into that this weekend and found some stuff on line that was saying the Griots is the Porter Cable. Just looks a little different due to some cosmetic changes maybe.

If you add up the parts from Griots, like the buffer and pads, the AutoGeek might be the better deal as I think you get more loot. But one thing about all those buffers and polishers is spindle threads, backing pads, and foam pads. Make sure everything is compatible with one another, and the place you buy from will still be supplying in 10 years when you need another pad.

When I was at the Complete Garage a while back, they told me the Griot's polisher is a Porter Cable. I do like where the handle bar is placed with the Griot's version but would never give up my 7424. As others have stated having the right pads makes a huge difference but the random orbitals can only go so far. I think they're great for paint in good condition with the occassional light swirl marks or very light scratches. Beyond that and I think you'll need to invest in a pneumatic orbital. But if you let your paint get that bad then shame on you! :nono:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting the Edge conversion. But wouldn't you be nervous about that metal push button release in the middle of your pad?!?

I have been using the Edge system on my Rotary, PC and now my Makita BO6040 with NO problems at all. The button is recessed enough that you will NEVER hit it while buffing. The also have a new Industrial Adapter for the rotary that is designed differently and does not have the button. It was actually designed for marine and stone buffing applications and you can bear down on the pad in any angle and push or pull to your heart is content and you will not get that pad off unless you use the quick release which is under the pad and is similar to an air hose release where you pull a sleeve back towards you to release the pad.

Dedication to Detail - The Edge Buffing Pads

You must be registered for see images

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a 6" flexble backing plate from Proper Auto Care. I've never had a reason to use anything smaller than the 6" plate. I use the Lake County pads and absolutely love them. I think Proper Auto Care has a competitve package deal on the 7424.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have rotary experience I think the best random orbital polisher on the market today is the Flex XC 3401 VRG. I polished my 2002 ACR with it last weekend. Here are a few pictures after polishing and BEFORE applying any wax or paint sealant.

Flex_menzerna1.jpg

Flex_menzerna2.jpg

Flex_menzerna6.jpg

My favorite Rotary Polisher is a Matabo PE 12-175. I do have a Porter Cable 7424 that I use with a 3 1/2" backing plate and 4" pads for hard to get to places. The Porter Cable does not compare to the Flex IMO.

As a side note the new Cobra Cross Cut Pads work great when you have lots of curves. Not to many cars have more curves then a Gen II Viper.