Both windows making a loud sound when lowered

Zishan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've just purchased a Viper and I believe I have the notorious window regulator issue. I've read thru many threads trying to understand the remedy and looking for confirmation before ordering parts and throwing money at it.

ISSUE: Windows both work 80%. When rolling down, they make a loud squeak/chatter when going all the way down. I can lower them 80%, no noise. The last 20%, the noise is there, both lowering and raising.

So I believe the window regulator parts are worn. I'd like to get in there and remedy it before the regulator breaks.

I'm not sure which product would help solve my issue?

Thanks in advance!
- Zishan

You must be registered for see images attach

-- OR --

You must be registered for see images attach

Pleasanton Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through this exact failure mode on my 2005, passenger side window. Smooth all the way down, or up, except at the very end, when it made a loud screeching noise.

For me, it was the regulator that failed, right at the joint between the track and the white plastic sleeve (see the picture). Cracked the peripheral of the tube such that the inner coil was binding as it turned.

Your options are to replace with new (I paid close to $800 for new Mopar part), or, to take the old one out, and send it off to one of several businesses that specialize in rebuilding regulators for about half that price. www.PowerWindowRepair.com quoted $329 plus shipping. I have not shipped my old one out yet, curious if anyone has used them.

Means you will need to get the old ones out, send them off after following their prescriptive directions about packing, shipping and such, and then about three days later they will send them back.

It's a failure mode that will never get better, only worse. I paid a local, auto glass shop $400 to put my new one in after watching the various youtubes showing people that know what they are doing do the work.

Attachments

• failure point.jpg
    failure point.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 7

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a regulator issue to me. My first stop would be the PowerWindowRepair.com folks to see if they can repair what you have.

The regulators are poorly designed, and have been a failure point for most Vipers from 2003-2017. Someone many years ago was able to retrofit a totally different, more robust window regulator design, but they couldn't get it to work correctly with the BCM. That idea died on the vine, which is unfortunate because it was about as close as the Viper community got to an actual fix.

The window boss kit may not be required for your situation, but if you can swing it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and replace them while you are in there.

OP
OP
Z

Zishan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to close the loop on this, I ended up taking the car to Cesar @ "CM Power Window Regulator" in Houston. He rebuilt both window regulators for $550 for the pair-he did all the work, I just drove the car to him. I had used him back in the day, 10 years ago for another car, so I know he's been doing these for a while. Also has great reviews, plus pics of another Viper being done on his site. Highly recommended if you are local to him. So all said and done, I'm very happy with the cost and service. Windows work flawlessly now!

Again, thanks for the feedback!
- Zishan

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done both doors on mine now.....just replaced the passenger side a few weeks ago with a new one I bought over 6 years ago and had been saving. Probably one of my least favorite DIYs I've ever done on a car.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've done my driver side so far, but my passenger side is probably due before too long one of these days. It makes a bit of an interesting thunk when it first starts going down, but has kept working fine so far, so fingers crossed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets