can any viper drive silky smooth at low revs ??

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RT has this issue. Mods brought it out. Best way to solve it is give yourself some space with the car in front and then just take off. Get the rpms up quickly and the car is much happier.

The other thing you can do is learn to be gentle on the gas pedal. Try wedging your foot between the pedal and the tunnel. Then slowly roll your foot to the left. This steadies your foot and gives you more control of the gas pedal.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the best solution is to be either slightly accelerating or decelerating, not trying to hold a steady slow speed. The problem was pretty much solved in the Gen4 cars with the much faster Venom controller. The part about the controller is straight from Herb.

Bill

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Venom controller won several awards and set the HIGH mark for all the other guys! It needed to be extremely fast and compute the new inputs for the cam-in-cam technology.

The Gen 4s runs smoothest because the cam in cam give less duration and overlap on the valve timing while increasing the overlap duration at higher rpms allowing that huge stock horsepower numbers.

I was reading that someone was complaining that their car bucked under 1200rpm? LOL, that would probably read "stall" in a Z06 and read "dead without moving an inch" for a Honda! You have to love a car that people complain about driving it at an idle!!!

Ted

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2006 would always do the 'herk and ****' when cruising slow through parking lots. My 2008 is a whole new animal. Smooth at slow speeds.

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Deactivate the skip shift and low speed driving will improve 100%.

what is "skip shift"

is that what makes it hard to switch from first to second sometimes?

and in first it's hard for me to keep it smooth. it just wants to jump forward all the time. any other gear is super smooth though. i read one response that said he could drive in first all over in heavy traffic, but that would seem nightmarish to me.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The camshaft for the creampuffs was designed to correct the "bucking" at idel engine speeds. My 2000 runs like a V8, smooth, quiet, no shaking or vibration. BUT, my 2001 has that all fixed! Larry Macedo installed a 708 (96-99)cam so that it bucks and lifts, shakes like crazy and spills coffee at idle! Thanks to Corsa race exhaust TNT header and cat delete my 01 sounds like a full race engine at low rpms and everyone know it! Always getting compliments, and no drone.

Skip-shift is an control program that when shifting from 1st to 2nd will activate a solenoid that will push the shifter to teh 4th gear gate instead. No one made any excuses, but it is such a stupid idea that I assume it helps with the Government controlled emmissions requirements, just like the super stupid Cats.

Ted

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In bumper to bumper traffic I slip the stick into neutral and do a fair amount of coasting. No problem. If I wanted silky smooth I would have bought a Ferrari or an automatic.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Venom controller won several awards and set the HIGH mark for all the other guys! It needed to be extremely fast and compute the new inputs for the cam-in-cam technology.

The Gen 4s runs smoothest because the cam in cam give less duration and overlap on the valve timing while increasing the overlap duration at higher rpms allowing that huge stock horsepower numbers.

I was reading that someone was complaining that their car bucked under 1200rpm? LOL, that would probably read "stall" in a Z06 and read "dead without moving an inch" for a Honda! You have to love a car that people complain about driving it at an idle!!!

Ted
My '08 Z06 does not stall @1000-1200 RPM in any gear...in fact the Z has much more TQ at low RPM than the SRT10 does. My '08 Viper doesn't really come alive until much higher RPM than my Z (at least 3500). It's not particular to my Viper either; other Gen IV's I've driven are exactly the same. The Z just has more grunt at lower RPM's over the SRT10. The SRT10 is nowhere near as linear in throttle response as the the Z06.

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In bumper to bumper traffic I slip the stick into neutral and do a fair amount of coasting. No problem. If I wanted silky smooth I would have bought a Ferrari or an automatic.

lol I would have bought a Ferrari if my wife didn't want to actually own a house!

I'm still to po' for that kinda thing. I do see what you're saying there. As I get better driving the car my problems with bucking die down.

I hope the op is starting to have more success with his beast as well

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not aware of any scenario, in any generation, in which a disabled skip shift would have anything to do with low-speed bucking. By that I mean parking-lot speeds. I would love to use that myth to sell more skip-shift bypass units, but I just don't believe it's true.

1992 through 1996.5 require periodic throttle body synchronization. They were the worst.
96.6 through 98 had lumpy cams, so they could be troubling, especially with a lightweight flywheel.
Otherwise, idle -coasting speed should be as smooth as silk, especially in G4.

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't you just unplug the solenoid down by the transmission? The little arrow will still indicate, but the solenoid won't activate. It may be a little white trash, but at least it doesn't cost you $50. Unplug it and demo the wires back to source if you want to be thorough...anybody disagree with this method?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can't you just unplug the solenoid down by the transmission? The little arrow will still indicate, but the solenoid won't activate. It may be a little white trash, but at least it doesn't cost you $50. Unplug it and demo the wires back to source if you want to be thorough...anybody disagree with this method?

That will cause the MIL to come on, and you wont be aware of having a REAL problem should one arise.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
09 should not buck at low speeds.

Maybe a trip to the dealership is a good idea.

My 96 bucked as you have indicated. 09 is smooth as silk, even off idle.

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't believe how smooth my '10 FE is, whether it's 20 or 70 mph. What an amazing ride, what an amazing car !!!!

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 06 convertible gets driven on local roads with a 55 mph speed limit. At 55 it is only about 1,200 rpms but is very smooth. I would like to go to a 3.73 rear end but don't live near any place that works on Vipers here in the middle of the mid western corn fields of Illinois.:dunno:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check with Chuck Tator first, but I'm pretty sure that any trans, differential shop can do a gear swap on a Viper since our differentials are basically truck rearends. Chuck may gie you advice on the perfered gap to prevent whining.

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960