Cant get rid of shoe polish flakes; help!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I went to the strip last year they painted a number on my window with shoe polish. When I got home and washed it the shoe polish turned into flakes and spread all over. I've washed it numerous times since and each time I take off a few flakes at a time but there's a lot still stuck to the rubber trim and crevices. I've tried clay bar but it doesn't pick it up. When I scrap it with my nail it comes off but I have spent a lot of time just removing most of it from the paint.

Is there any type of solvent that I can safely use to wipe this stuff off? It's mostly just on the trim now and nothing left on the paint.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had that same thing before. Learned now to take off the shoe polish with a paper towel and washer fluid before washing the car. Once it spreads it is a *****.

I recall using bug cleaner to get it off the windshield surround and some resistant locations.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the same thing that removes bugs from our front fascias....a WET dryer sheet?? You can safely scrub with that and remove the paint flakes, I'd think...then use detail spray to get dryer sheet residue off (needless to say with a *new* microfiber towel)....good luck, AND with the popping....not forgetting that problem as well!!!! ~juli~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960