Clear Bra

brifri11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anybody have a clear bra on their cars? If so, what do you guys think of them? How they look/work... My buddy has one but you can see the lines from where they start/end. I'm concerned if I get it the line will bug me too much. But I'm trying to outweigh the cons, because it would bug me more if I had nicks and scratches in my bumper/hood. Please let me know your thoughts.

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my first coupe with a clear bra, I didn't do my ACR. I didn't like the line and slight difference in colour. My ACR has dings....don't like that too much either.
Hind sight, if your going to drive it, cover it. No point doing it to a garage queen.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they are first installed, the lines are almost invisible. It's the lousy job that people do when taking care of them that causes the lines to show. Getting wax and polish under the edges of the film looks like ***. If you know how to properly care for them and stay away from the edges of them with EVERYTHING, you'll barely be able to see the lines unless you look up close.

CBR-ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question, though you are understandably concerned with the lines it would bug you more if you had nicks and scratches on your Viper. Invest in the film, you will enjoy driving the car more. I agree with Drew, but I did not have it on my first car and regretted it. Especially, behind the front and rear wheel wells. Though you couldn't see it standing or without getting down and looking at it, but over time, that area took a beating, almost to the point that it looked like sandblasting. On my new ACR, I had the nose wrapped, the front part of the hood, the fog light covers (fog light delete car) , headlights, mirrors and had him custom install (no template available) guarding behind the wheel wells. Depending on your installer, you may want to look into the different types of film. I had the more durable and heavier 3M film placed on the nose/headlights, mirrors and behind the wheels and the newer durable but thinner "crystal" film on the hood. You may want to check into some of the shops that have done the work, to make sure they know what they are doing, as the better shops know how to hide most of the edges into the seams/gaps of the car as well as body lines. To be honest, though I do notice, I have yet had one person notice the lines and most times I point it out to them.... If you only track the car, you might want to look into Tracwarp (link attached) easy to install and comes right off and provides the necessary protection.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...6-hi-tracwrap-temp-paint-protection-film.html

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This subject has been tossed around a lot in the past. I always get the facia and first portion of hood done on ALL my new cars before driving off the lot. It is well worth it IMO and has saved the areas many times from debris. If done right the lines do not not show that bad. And if the bra gets scuffed its a whole lot cheaper to replace than touch ups or a repaint. Invisishield is the way to go now over the old 3M.

OP
OP
B

brifri11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. I think I figured out what I'm going to do. Even though its very very minor, I personally don't like the lines... so I'm going to see if I can just get the front bumper done and go all the way to the edges so you cant notice it. I think that would be better than not doing it at all. Thanks again.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. I think I figured out what I'm going to do. Even though its very very minor, I personally don't like the lines... so I'm going to see if I can just get the front bumper done and go all the way to the edges so you cant notice it. I think that would be better than not doing it at all. Thanks again.

Are you going to do a re-paint prior to having the clear bra installed on the bumper, or is the paint in good enough shape? What about your rocker panels? They are notorious for "road rash".

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have it on my current Viper and did not on my others. I have all black and don't really see the line at all. It is a lot beter than all the chips you get with out it. Would reccomend it.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the leading edge of the roof, also talk with the installer about cleaning tar and rubber off the particular brand of clear bra. I use a lexan polish and it works pretty good.

cetro993

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend it highly. I have done this to all my cars and you don't see the lines if done properly. It has saved me on a few occasions!!!!

Texas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
brifri11, have you thought about getting the entire front end covered? They make kits that will cover the whole hood so there's no line at all. You get the protection you want, and you keep the beautiful looks of the Viper. I googled Dodge Viper Clear Bra and found this http://blog.xpel.com/2010-dodge-viper-acr-712-nurburgring-edition/ They covered the entire car! Best of luck with whatever you decide.