Coletti needs HELP!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I guess you can call it justice? The man who produces Cobra Mustangs with less than reported HP, and tells the world, "the GT40 will reduce the Viper to something between a garner snake and an earth worm", Mr Coletti proclaimed, had to go outside of Ford to try and actually accomplish his bold prediction!

At the SAE Dinner, Mr. Neil Hannimen came strolling bye. For those of you who are not familiar with Neil, he was the lead engineer on the GTS-R racing program, a long time Team Viper member, and former employee to Carroll Shelby (Neil and his wife met working for Shelby). Well within a few minutes of seeing Neil again he dropped the bomb, "I am back in Detroit and now with Ford, working on the GT40"! Holy molly I thought. Funny how Ford had to come get a Viper guy to lead the GT40 team (and yes, Neil is the GT40 equivalent of what John Fernandez was to Team Viper) just to try and meet the numbers that Ford's supposed (but always lacking) Head of SVT proclaimed he would get the GT40 too.

Anyway, the GT40 is now in very competent hands, and based on Neils background (two time National SCCA Champion) you can bet that his creation will move!

Now you want the really good news? First, all the supposed info on the GT40 is just that, it does not exist. It is going to be a while before there is any factual information out on it. The second point is that now Viper and PVO will actually take the GT40 seriously, and thus keep on pushing our beast to new limits!

I don't think we could have asked for a better scenario.

Good luck Neil (he said that the Ford guys read this section all the time) and I look forward to that little race that you and Herbie spoke of!!!!!!!!

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve:

Thanks for the news - I had not heard of Neil's move. This move will definitely ensure that the GT40 will be a serious road racer. I do not have the stats in hand, but I'm pretty sure Neil has the highest (or close to the highest) winning percentage in SCCA World Challenge history, including 2 Championships. The guy knows how to race, and how to build a race car. He was a significant member of Team Viper early on and did much of the test driving. He's also a helluva nice guy. Do you think he'll talk them into a GT-40R for pro-racing??

Rich

OP
OP
S

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now, he is just trying to get a prototype that can actual serve as a testing mule. A real race version was not something we even discussed. Give him a call.

Reaction score
Steve this is great news!

I can see it now, LeMans 2004 Head Lines:
"Amercian's bring battle to LeMans, Ford's GT40R, Chrysler's GTSR VIPER and GM's Corvette have all qualifed for GTS, Viper qualified 1 second in front of ??"

Bring back factory supported racing of the Viper!
bounce.gif

OP
OP
S

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred, Neil is focused on a street car today. I don't think he will have anything ready for real racing before 2005-2006. And that is only going to happen if Ford becomes profitable again?