Com Day at Loudon NH July 2 - 4

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Viper Nation,

How many times have you wanted to drive your Viper to its full potential but were afraid that your actions might land you in the clink? The New England Region of the VCA has a solution for you. We have partnered with the COM Sports Car Club (www.comscc.org) to bring you an exciting weekend of high performance driving at one of the Nation’s premier race tracks.:drive:

COM runs events at several tracks in the Northeast and on July 2nd, 3rd, and 4th they will be at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (NHMS) in Loudon, NH. This is the same track that NASCAR uses twice a year for the Sprint Car Championship although COM will be using the road course configuration which includes both infield and oval sections.:2tu:

The first two days consist of High Performance Driver Education where participants learn the dynamics of performance driving in both a classroom and behind the wheel of their car. An instructor will be provided to drive along with you to show you the safe and fast way around the track.:omg: The third day, for drivers that are “signed off” by their instructors and who want a little competition, consists of solo time trials where you run three hot laps on the clock.:headbang:

Prices for one day are normally $225 but first time drivers with COM only pay $125. Two days will run $325 including the $100 first time driver discount and three days will be $475 again with the first time driver discount. For those that don’t wish to drive their own car for only $35 you will get to be a passenger in an instructor’s car.

The event is open to almost any car so you don’t even need to bring your Viper (although we would be glad if you did). You could bring your Toyota, as long as you’ve fixed the accelerator pedal. One caveat though, SRT/10 convertibles may only be used if they have aftermarket rollover protection. Factory roll hoops are not adequate. RT/10s must have their tops on but GTS and SRT/10 coupes can run as they are. Helmets are of course required and may be either motorcycle or car helmets with a Snell designation. There will likely be some available as loaners as well. Should be a good time, if interested let me know. Rick or George

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,
Any idea on the insurance situation? Is private insurance required? I believe George told me it is not covered as part of the event.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some companies that offer insurance for High Performance Driving Events. You'd have to google them though as I don't remember their names. COM currently does not offer this although they are working to provide it in the future.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i figure we can at least go to support the guys, maybe go for a ride with an instructor ($35), cruise a bit, and of course grab lunch.

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone thinking of going on Saturday or Sunday to be a spectator?

Joe,
I'll be going as a spectator but will be doing my "spectating" from inside the cab, does that count? By the way, if you laugh at me from the stands, I WILL be able to hear you!

OP
OP
Y

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
We had a great time this weekend at Com Day. Thanks to George for coordinating this event for us. This was my first time at Loudon track and was also Mike Currid first time at any track event. We both had to drive with an instructor and get signed off on Friday so we could do time trials on saturday. There is a lot of good stories to go around. Mike, said he had some crazy record time, who knows maybe even the track record, but lets set the record straight that his wife Sandy and I were keeping time on a stop watch, Mike might of been using a sundial to keep track of his time. Not even close.
I had to leave at 3:30 after time trials, because it was my wedding anniverasy, who knew you weren't suppose to send the day at the track the day of you anniversary. George Batejan Called me and told me that I beat him by 1/1000 of a second. George had a 1:28.189 and I had a 1:28.188. OKAY, now your going to hear stories like I had problems with my Viper, I had a flat tire the last lap. I ran out of gas the last lap like in NASCAR. These are all stories. Let the times speak for themselves.
Joe Mori stopped by with his dad, and spent a few hours with us. Everyone had a great time, if you didn't get a chance to attend this year you might want to reconsider it for next year. Rick

TopGear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how was it Rick. I was tempted to go but wanted to hear from others on how the track conditions where. I used to track my steet bike at loudon and remember corners 3 and 10 (where the oval track transitions up hill (@ 3) and down hill (@ 10) was a rough transition. Did you bottom out in these spots? Also my 96 wheels are cast and have read to many horror stories on the wheels breaking.

OP
OP
Y

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Shawn
We had a great time. I never bottomed out. When I first went out I thought I might, after I kenew I wouldn't bottom out, I kepted pushing it. I love the up and down hills. You definetly use your brakes there. I'm thinking of going to the next one in Canada next month. Rick

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I managed to get a couple of shots. Not easy with a fence in the way and the guys going so fast into the corner. I need a better camera for action shots, that's for sure.

Here's a few pictures for ya.

Rick:
IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

Mike:
IMG_11491.JPG

IMG_11511.JPG

Sorry George, I didn't stay long enough to catch you on the track.

OP
OP
Y

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what I'm talking about a blury picture. SPEED BABY!!!. I'm glad you caught that 1/1000 of a second LOL. Rick

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright this obviously calls for a rematch (after the Wizard fixes my car of course). Those of you that may have been worried about the track being rough or your car bottoming out need not have worried. Not even Rick in his YELLOH car bottomed out and he has this 4 foot or so splitter hanging off the front of his car. While it is true that Rick beat me by 1/1000 of a second this time, I promise him a sound thrashing at the next track event.

By the way any of you interested can check out COM's website for a schedule of events. COM Sports Car Club They run a pretty good event and there are plenty of instructors available. You can sign up for any event whether our club is participating as a group or not. The first time you sign up includes an annual membership in COM as well.