Cut those handles off your garage door opener

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been a couple yrs since i posted this. Cut the handles off your garage door openers. With a coat hanger you can reach in from outside & pull, releasing the door to pull up easy. Your baby is now in the open. Cut the hadles off .

My .02

Andy

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most garage door openers have a rope hanging from the track at the top of the door. If you pull down on the handle,or rope, it disengages the latch letting your door slide freely up & down.

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, don't care about the soup cans. Just my car. I can get in a garage in about 15 seconds with a door with handle, guess if it helps one person its worth it.

damn yankees, always got a comment :)

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This reminds me of the wash the top of your soup cans alert so you don't die of this rare disease that comes from the dust on top of soup cans.

No! No! The disease is from the rats running across the pallets of soup cans in the warehouse!:crazy2:

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never thought of that, but I'm sure wouldn't be too ******* a garage door with a window to see what your doing.

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my doors raised. another section of rail made them hug the ceiling.

Only way to get lift in & one car over the other. A little cheaper than the other option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This reminds me of the wash the top of your soup cans alert so you don't die of this rare disease that comes from the dust on top of soup cans.

I do not know about a rare disease, but I sure don't want the dust, dirt or whatever is on the top of the can to fall inside when opened.

:D

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
haha, don't care about the soup cans. Just my car. I can get in a garage in about 15 seconds with a door with handle, guess if it helps one person its worth it.

damn yankees, always got a comment :)

I'd like to see the coat hanger that can reach the 8' to the opener from outside the garage door.

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see the coat hanger that can reach the 8' to the opener from outside the garage door.

I do not know about yours, but when my garage door is closed the release handle is about 15" from the place where the top of the garage door & the frame of the door.

Release handle is usually attached to the top of the garage door, not to the opener on the ceiling.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know about yours, but when my garage door is closed the release handle is about 15" from the place where the top of the garage door & the frame of the door.

Release handle is usually attached to the top of the garage door, not to the opener on the ceiling.

We are north of I10. Location matters!

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you cut off the door handles and I walk up with a pry bar and a coat hanger, how long does the handle removal slow me down?

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am with you on this. I can't visualize what this is all about. You mean the little plastic knob on the string that you pull that pulls the pin from the track? Anyone who wants in my garage would be advised to just get one of the remotes out of one of the cars parked in the driveway. I hope they don't injure themselves stumbling over the crap stored out there and sue me once they get in.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am with you on this. I can't visualize what this is all about. You mean the little plastic knob on the string that you pull that pulls the pin from the track? Anyone who wants in my garage would be advised to just get one of the remotes out of one of the cars parked in the driveway. I hope they don't injure themselves stumbling over the crap stored out there and sue me once they get in.

I'm confused. Maybe he has an older-style opener with huge handles dangling from the track? :dunno: My openers have a 2" little lever with a rope attached. Pull the rope, it disengages the door from the track.

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't mean for this to become such a big deal. I had a friends house get robbed, they got in thru the garage by slipping a coat hanger like rod between the weatherstripping & the door. They pulled on the rope handel, disengaged the door, raised it, lowered it & made themselves at home.

Thought it might help someone, if you do not like the idea then just go to the next thread. Sounds like the alley over here.....

You must be registered for see images attach

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't mean for this to become such a big deal. I had a friends house get robbed, they got in thru the garage by slipping a coat hanger like rod between the weatherstripping & the door. They pulled on the rope handel, disengaged the door, raised it, lowered it & made themselves at home.

Thought it might help someone, if you do not like the idea then just go to the next thread. Sounds like the alley over here.....

Okay, now it's beginning to make sense. The first posts said to cut the handles. I was picturing in my mind the handle in the middle of the door with the two bars attached going to each side of the frame to lock the door closed. It didn't occur to me to call that foot-long rope for releasing the door from the motor a handle.

Thanks for posting the warning. It also never occured to me that someone could shove a hanger up the top of the door and snag that rope. I guess I would make a pretty poor burgler.

Bob

p.s. That was a cheap shot with the "sounds like the alley over here" comment. (just kidding)

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a plastic "t" handle on that rope which made it easy to catch with a coathanger. I cut off so there was nothing to catch.