Dash Cams?

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of new products. Can you tell me which dash cams you like/dislike or recommend ?

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOD-GS600-D...Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item2324fbaa40

It's a bit pricey, but it has GPS... speed tracking, etc etc. It also records in 1080p. It supports pretty big microSD cards too, so no worries about your card filling up anytime soon...and once it does get full, it starts erasing the oldest video data and looping. If you press the "save" button, it saves the last 5 minutes of your drive... so if you see something you want to see later, press the save button, and it'll save that file no matter what... (unless you format)

It has gotten me out of a couple stupid situations.

OP
OP
F

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I was thinking about with the night vision and motion detection for $69.00 Car Camera Direct

Nitro, yours looks pretty good also.

Last edited:

SNIPERDOG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a go pro, and like it.,., but have only used it to learn how to use it :dunno:

Joenoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a smartphone, then chances are you could use that.

I use my Galaxy S2, with Samsung car mount (which has a hole that the camera can see through.) You can also get black box apps that use GPS data to show where you are on a map, and the speed you were doing at the time.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What are you looking to accomplish with it? GoPros are nice
but are limited in recording time and battery life.

I use a $25 russian cam on amazon. 1080p and a 45min loop.
Once plugged in it you record forever, and the SDcard allows
you to save interesting events on your way. Plus for $25 you
dont feel bad if it breaks or glitches (unlike my $300 GoPro.)

Joenoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a long time considering it I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and get one.

I've tried using my phone but find it eats battery and I don't want to leave an obvious phone holder permanently in my car.

I've looked at a lot of generic cameras that largely flood out of China, as well as several other korean brands.

I came across this one which looks very clean and covert: http://www.szswill.com/car-camera-hd/rearview-mirror-dash-camera-d500.html, permanently mounted and no worry about the thief.

How do you think? Any reliable ebay/ amazon vendors recommended?

Bryan Savage

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought this E-Prance from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5WBXAE/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd say that, with no other experiences, it's pretty awesome. It came with a 32Gb Micro SD card (the versions without the card were more expensive). It's takes more than 1080p video (2304x1296), 5 hours 20 minutes on a card, records your GPS and speed, records interior audio (not that great of quality), can auto-overwrite so you never have to empty the card, and you can program your license plate in. I've used it to record tons of video while driving, and it's everything you'd expect. I leave it on my work truck, plug it in every time I drive, and then shut it off every time I stop. The camera doesn't seem to mind baking in the sun, and seldom skips a beat.

I did have an issue with one of the power jacks though. The GPS antenna and the camera unit clip together. You can use the camera without the GPS if you want, and both pieces have a charging jack on them. When clipped together, plugging in the supplied USB Type-B cord to either jack charges the battery on the unit. Well, the jack on the GPS unit quit working for me. Perhaps due to the weird angles it's plugged in, or the stress from the dangling cord. I have the cord plugged into the camera body and it works great.

I'd totally buy this again. There's an option to auto-loop every five minutes, but I find it more reassuring to just fill the card during the week, and then wipe it clean each weekend if there's nothing to report.

Hopefully this helps!

Last edited:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you looking to accomplish with it? GoPros are nice
but are limited in recording time and battery life.

I use a $25 russian cam on amazon. 1080p and a 45min loop.
Once plugged in it you record forever, and the SDcard allows
you to save interesting events on your way. Plus for $25 you
dont feel bad if it breaks or glitches (unlike my $300 GoPro.)

Can you provide a link or description for this? thanks.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go Pro is where its at!!!

Seems like that is way overkill and not conducive to recording video for the sake of accident documentation like the OP is asking. I have a GoPro, and wouldn't consider using it on a regular basis as a driving documentation device., or leaving it in the car in full view to tempt a smash and grab.

I'm thinking a cheaper solution is better for this. Here's a good article: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
John, sorry for the delay - things have been complicated...

I buy the CarCam - its cheap and basically disposable, If youre looking for high
quality race video, or street captures this ISNT the cam for you - however for
accident / tickets / and general video I find this one amazing for the price.

Be sure to get the correct SD cards - this is a VERY russian cam and does better
with simpler recording tech:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067XVNTG/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth