Did I pay too much?

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious on thoughts... I recently paid a premium ($31K) for a 94 Viper. Car is like a museum piece with only 4K miles on it when purchased 4 weeks ago.
I see other high mileage for a lot less money. I actually see one now for $22K in the classifieds with 72K miles. If you were me, which route would you have gone?
I may by a second one in the future. Maybe a GTS.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the condition is as perfect as you describe, I would cost more to fix up a $22K/72K mile car to get it into the same condition as the car you just bought.

If you're happy, that's all that matters.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you did all that bad. The car only has 4K miles and a museum piece. Honestly, I've paid too much for some cars in the past....but it was piece of mind for me KNOWING the history of the car, that it hadn't been wrecked, repainted, abused, or tracked hard. Sometimes it's a challenge to find an exceptional high quality example of these cars, so just forget about the money and have fun regardless if you spent too much, or not. I think you did alright all things considered. Congrats!

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Low mileage cars are often a good gauge of genuine vehicles. You have acquired a bargain. Keep it bone-stock and you will always recoup your investment. Modify and enjoy. The choice is yours.

Congratulations and please post some photos!

OP
OP
N

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is absolutely perfect! I also spoke with the original 60 year old owner by phone. The Texas dealer started off asking 36K in auto trader. IMO...Having no AC
killed the higher price they were asking. Lots of fun driving the car in the nice Texas winter weather that we have recently had but I don't know what this Texas
summer is going to be like.

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nickel, well done. First thing to do is change the tyres. If they are the originals, they are plain dangerous. Change fluids and lubricants. As for the summer, the top is off and after certain speed limits, you do feel cool! let us see some shots!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check to see if the headgaskets were replaced. If not, you might have that expense in the near future. Just hit and miss sometimes. Look under the car, you should see if th eheadgaskets are paper or metal. Metal is better. Look for coolant streeks going down the side of the block too.

OP
OP
N

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

These are pics of the car. One is inside of the dealership. The other in front of my house.
Eventually I will learn how to make the photos larger.

Speed SG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats right around what you should pay. A cheap Gen 1 or 2 would cost you another 10k+ to get in full working order.

OP
OP
N

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A few more pics. For some reason it wouldn't let me up load the next two

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice car indeed!! I looked it over a couple of times while checking out a Gen IV for an out of State VCA member...

OP
OP
N

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very nice car indeed!! I looked it over a couple of times while checking out a Gen IV for an out of State VCA member...

What kept the member from buying it? Price? The Dealer started high at 36K. I didn't consider the car too much until they kept dropping the price.
As you know, it had no AC as an option. Also, for some reason, one of the Lemke 3 piece tops was missing.
Jeff Lemke said he could build another piece for around $600.00. Not sure I would ever drive with the top in the Texas heat with no AC.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats :2tu:

i think you did alright on the price

top is for rain & some security. the heat will kill if not moving (e.g. stop and go traffic) in the :tx: summer

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer is entitled to make a profit, no, you did not pay too much, but sounds like you think you did. I learned a long time ago, get the best you can and a couple years later you will (should) forget how much you paid, but you will always realize how much you enjoy your experience. Congrats!

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What kept the member from buying it? Price? The Dealer started high at 36K. I didn't consider the car too much until they kept dropping the price.
As you know, it had no AC as an option. Also, for some reason, one of the Lemke 3 piece tops was missing.
Jeff Lemke said he could build another piece for around $600.00. Not sure I would ever drive with the top in the Texas heat with no AC.

He was looking at the SSG Gen IV. I just saw your car and looked it over...

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will lose more money on a new car the second you drive it from a dealership lot than you ever will on your genI Viper. I honestly don't think you paid too much for a mint, low mileage Viper. Enjoy it and drive it :2tu:

OP
OP
N

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the condition is as perfect as you describe, I would cost more to fix up a $22K/72K mile car to get it into the same condition as the car you just bought.

If you're happy, that's all that matters.

Thanks Viper John. Thats what I was thinking too. Might spend extra $$s on high miles car

I always say buy the lowest mileage car that you can afford, regardless of year.
Good idea

I don't think you did all that bad. The car only has 4K miles and a museum piece. Honestly, I've paid too much for some cars in the past....but it was piece of mind for me KNOWING the history of the car, that it hadn't been wrecked, repainted, abused, or tracked hard. Sometimes it's a challenge to find an exceptional high quality example of these cars, so just forget about the money and have fun regardless if you spent too much, or not. I think you did alright all things considered. Congrats!

Thanks Brian!

OP
OP
N

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Low mileage cars are often a good gauge of genuine vehicles. You have acquired a bargain. Keep it bone-stock and you will always recoup your investment. Modify and enjoy. The choice is yours.
Everything is stock including the crappy Chrysler radio LOL!

Congratulations and please post some photos!
Will post pics

Nickel, well done. First thing to do is change the tyres. If they are the originals, they are plain dangerous. Change fluids and lubricants. As for the summer, the top is off and after certain speed limits, you do feel cool! let us see some shots!
Tire look good but do not work well. No traction. Will buy new tires soon.

Check to see if the headgaskets were replaced. If not, you might have that expense in the near future. Just hit and miss sometimes. Look under the car, you should see if th eheadgaskets are paper or metal. Metal is better. Look for coolant streeks going down the side of the block too.
Thank you for the tip. I will check the gaskets.

Thats right around what you should pay. A cheap Gen 1 or 2 would cost you another 10k+ to get in full working order.
I agree

CONGRATS...be happy with your purchase and never look back!!
Thank you!

Does it have a hard top ?
No hard top. Has Jeff Lemke 3 piece hard top with one piece missing. Going to but 3rd piece soon.

congrats :2tu:

i think you did alright on the price

top is for rain & some security. the heat will kill if not moving (e.g. stop and go traffic) in the :tx: summer

Thank you!

Dealer is entitled to make a profit, no, you did not pay too much, but sounds like you think you did. I learned a long time ago, get the best you can and a couple years later you will (should) forget how much you paid, but you will always realize how much you enjoy your experience. Congrats!

100% agree with you. I own a business and believe dealers need to make a profit

Defiantly did not pay to much. Congratulations on your purchase.
Thank you!

You will lose more money on a new car the second you drive it from a dealership lot than you ever will on your genI Viper. I honestly don't think you paid too much for a mint, low mileage Viper. Enjoy it and drive it :2tu:
Thank you!

Not much you can do about it now, so I wouldn't fret over it. :)
Honestly...Not fretting over price. Maybe should of called thread...Which car to buy high miles or low miles? Whats the better deal?

I would have gone with the lower mileage one as well....
Thanks

Visit a club meet and learn to close your hood properly.
I watched Flemings ultimate garage close the viper hood on you tube. Hope he is doing it correct because Im closing like he does.

The more you drive it, the less you'll think of a few bucks here and there --ENJOY!!
Really is a fun ride. My kids fight over who is going for a ride first.

Snake#36

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's called buyers remorse ......I think we all get it at one time or another...car looks fantastic in the pics....you got a fair deal to say the least....fyi..I bought a 98GTS in 09 & thought it was a good deal until I got it home, then I felt like I paid to much ....it bugged me so bad I almost carried the car back to the guy that weekend ....3 years & 3k miles later I sold the car for $500 less than I had in it....new tires & wheels included......I feel you'll do the same....enjoy it...their a blast to drive with or without a/c....

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe me you bought the right car. Stay far away from low priced high mileage cars like the other one you are talking about. They are low priced for a reason. PM sent.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great car, you did well. About that no AC in Texas thing though....... IDK if that was a great idea...... You may want a GTS to drive in the summer....

-Tim