Differences between Gen III and IV

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So I guess when you are looking for a weekend toy that may get a few bolts on, the Generation 4 is the logical answer.

Exactly. But as you see, 20+ DIFFERENT responses are pretty much exactly correct: if your recipe is different, you might choose a GEN 3 OR EVEN 2

G4 gives you 600 HP, a better tranny, a better clutch, a better differential.
But annoying drive by wire 2008 only. And a better top speed gear 2010 only.
And a warranty!

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Exactly. But as you see, 20+ DIFFERENT responses are pretty much exactly correct: if your recipe is different, you might choose a GEN 3 OR EVEN 2

G4 gives you 600 HP, a better tranny, a better clutch, a better differential.
But annoying drive by wire 2008 only. And a better top speed gear 2010 only.
And a warranty!

is drive by wire fitted to the 09 acr cars?
thanks!

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my 06. More than enough for me, remember it was the state of the art when it came out only a few years ago. I don't know many drivers that can control much more than this on the street. It's my 3rd Viper and it still scares me.
I did look into an 08 but decided against it. My feeling was, this is fast enough and no change in the body style plus I like the extra $15K to $20K in my pocket.

Just my opinion, Good luck with your choice.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my 06. More than enough for me, remember it was the state of the art when it came out only a few years ago. I don't know many drivers that can control much more than this on the street. It's my 3rd Viper and it still scares me.
I did look into an 08 but decided against it. My feeling was, this is fast enough and no change in the body style plus I like the extra $15K to $20K in my pocket.

Just my opinion, Good luck with your choice.

I agree with this as well...I went out testing my stock 400 rwhp gen 2 and hit 117 mph in the 1/4..A bit of bolt ons and a tune and I hit 121 mph.....Playing around on the street and WRECKED it with only 445 rwhp..

Went out testig the srt10 with just 3 mods and went 122 mph..With only 470 mph I went out playing around and guess what...Same thing..The sudden power got the best of me again..

God help me if I ever got my hands on a 130 mph 550 rwhp gen4!!!!:dunno:

Though I defiently would still like to own a gen4 one day...The gen3 is more than enough for the average person...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 09 and the drive by wire throttle works just fine. Press go faster, release slow down.

It is much better than the throttle response on my 96. It had the worst hang throttle ever. When you would lift the throttle going into a corner, it would not return to idle, but continue to push. After a couple seconds it would drop about 1/2 way to idle, and a couple more seconds later it would go to idle. All this while in sweepers 8 & 9 at willow. Drove me crazy when diving into corners.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's too early to really say what the longterm of the Gen 4 motors will be, but just knowing the added complexity of the 4s, would the Gen 3 just be less likely to have any issues down the road based on it's less complex motor? The motors seem to be virtually bulletproof in these cars, but how much of that was purely from the motor just being very low tech in the past?

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my third Viper.The Gen V is a much better car than the previous generations.It is much faster,much cooler inside,much quieter inside.I just put the K&N air filter in and the throttle response is fine.People are splitting hairs in saying the engine response is delayed.I will say,the respose is not as fast as my ZR1,but when you nail the Viper you better be pointed straight.You are going to be going were you are pointed really fast.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 Corvette ZR1
2009 Ford F-250 4X4 (Ford Ranger/Pool Trucker Eater)