DIY "KNG" Diffuser Blades Write Up

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am down to 3 sets remaining. I should have some more photos soon of them installed on different color Vipers so stand by for that. Payments accepted are check, money order, wire transfer and paypal. Paypal is always preferred by me.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey KNG, has anyone put them on an RT/10 yet? Thought I saw Tony asking, but not sure he bought a set.

Very cool, to be able to develop and market your product... coming from years in product development, I'm impressed!

Have you thought about offering powder coating as an option?

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have sold sets to at least 3 RT/10 owners. 2 red and 1 yellow. I have been sent a preliminary photo of a 6 blade setup on a red one and I am waiting for the final pictures before posting. Looked pretty good in my opinion, almost good enough to sway me towards liking the 6 blade setup.

As far as offering powder coating I have thought about it and the main issue is where I live and what customers want. The nearest powder coater to me is a 45 minute drive and I have no idea of their quality or pricing because I am new to the area. The other issue is people want to do different things with the blades and to be able to efficiently sell them powder coated the price would have to go up and I would venture to say it would be a minimum of 20 dollars per set (just an estimate, could possibly be higher). Currently they are offered in bare metal for those who want to either power coat, paint them black or color match them to their car, or those who want to polished them up. They actually look good in raw color on the red with silver striped Viper. Once the last few sets are gone I am actually going to do another buy in on my own dollar and most likely I will further explore the powder coating option, but that wont be until next buy in.

Just as a best guess if it costs me 500 dollars to powder coat 52 blades (13 sets per full buy in) it would be an increase of almost 40 dollar per set. Realistically there is no reason why a good primer and a good solid paint won't do the job. I ran mine for a while without powder coat and they were moved over to another bumblebee who has been running them for weeks with no issues. This set in mention was done with Universal flat back paint that I used on my hood pad and it has held up solid, no primer was used either. There is not a ton of damage that happens to that portion of the bumper so they should be good to go. Also if they get smacked by a rock they are easily removeable (without having to go in the bumper if you remove 1 blade at a time and reinstall the screws). Once the final install has been done if you remove each blade and reinstall the screw that you made it takes less then 3 minutes to remove all 4 and the cost of painting them is very small.

I will say to my surprise I have not sold a single set on that auction site. Definitely figured they would sell more there but nothing. All the sets I have sold have come from the 3 main Viper sites and 2 off Craigslist.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey KNG, has anyone put them on an RT/10 yet? Thought I saw Tony asking, but not sure he bought a set.

Yep, bought them and just finished painting by spraying on the last coat of clear. Will most likely install them Sun or Mon. Pretty easy project.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ready for some photos :)

Very good quality, to be honest they're a little nicer than what I expected for the pirce. My car's in the shop and the diffusers are getting powder coated satin black, might be a minute but I will post pics soon as I get it back, it's gonna be sick...:2tu:

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are photos of a 6 blade setup on an RT/10. Things to note
1.He had them wrapped in carbon fiber
2.He chose to mount them without using factory mounting points so he utilized an extra piece of aluminum as bracing for the second set of holes that were needed. Enjoy

You must be registered for see images attach

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are photos of a 6 blade setup on an RT/10. Things to note
1.He had them wrapped in carbon fiber
2.He chose to mount them without using factory mounting points so he utilized an extra piece of aluminum as bracing for the second set of holes that were needed. Enjoy

Man did he take those pictures with a 20 year old cell phone? They look awesome but more like a tease with those little thumbnails

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, those blades look awesome! Carbon fibre wrap gives them a really cool look.

SNK....please explain what you said about the extra piece of aluminum...do you mean the front mounting (towards the front of the car)?

Thanks!

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill try my best to explain. My kit includes 2 aluminum braces. If you install it how I recommend, you only need to make 1 hole per blade to hold the blade to the bumper and you put the aluminum brace behind the bumper to make it rigid(this brace connects both blades together on either side, just connects them inside the bumper). In the photo the "F" shows you the front mount point, or body mount point. This is where you would use your bumper cover bolt. The "R" represents rear most part of the blade and it is where you would need to make a hole in the bumper and bolt the fin to a brace inside the bumper.

The guy in the red did something different. Instead of using the OEM bumper bolts he decided to push the blades further out towards the bumper (approx 1 inch) and make both the "F" and "R" holes in his bumper cover (take a close look at picture 3 in my previous post, you can see his new rivets instead of using the bumper bolts that are about 1 inch back). So now instead of just having a brace inside the bumper for the "R" side he will have a brace inside the bumper for the "F" side since he did not utilize existing body bolts. As stated in the writeup, the blades can be mounted anywhere you want, I just provided my quick and easy way. You can put them in almost any spacing configuration you like.
By the way the extra pieces of aluminum can be viewed on the front page, 2nd photo.

Hopefully I answered your question?

Aloushi, no tease here, they are still available. 3 sets remain at a price of 100 shipped for a 4 blade set and 140 shipped for a 6 blade set. If I sell 2 sets by Tuesday then I am going to go ahead and place the order for the next batch of them to continue filling the needs to the community. I will remind those interested they do come in bare aluminum, and for reasons like the previous photos show. Not everyone wants them black or powder coated. That fiber wrapping looks great in my opinion. If I had any carbon fiber on my car I would have mine wrapped as well.

SRT Style Diffuser Blades for a Gen 2 - ViperClub Classifieds

Wow, those blades look awesome! Carbon fibre wrap gives them a really cool look.

SNK....please explain what you said about the extra piece of aluminum...do you mean the front mounting (towards the front of the car)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just placed an order for another 13 sets of 4 blades so I am taking orders again. This is going to be my last batch since my fabricator is in VA and I'm in RI. Flying to VA on Friday and will be driving the sets back Sunday. On top of that my buy in is pretty high.

Prices are 100 shipped for a 4 blade setup, 140 shipped for a 6 blade setup. All are professionally laser cut and precision bent.

Last edited:

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just returned from VA with the new sets of blades.
13 sets remaining.

I think I might want another 2 blades to make it a 6-blade set-up, first I gotta get my car back from the shop though, I was supposed to have it in the 1st-2nd week of May but now got pushed back to the end of May grrrrrr:mad: Soon as I get it I'll throw the 4 blades on there and see how it looks then maybe get the other two, I do like how the 6 -blade set-up turned out, just wish I can get the pics to open bigger.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I might want another 2 blades to make it a 6-blade set-up, first I gotta get my car back from the shop though, I was supposed to have it in the 1st-2nd week of May but now got pushed back to the end of May grrrrrr:mad: Soon as I get it I'll throw the 4 blades on there and see how it looks then maybe get the other two, I do like how the 6 -blade set-up turned out, just wish I can get the pics to open bigger.

If you click the photos it should open them up into my photobucket. I know when I click them they open up larger then will fit my screen. No problem on the 6 blade setup, you are the second person considering adding the 2 extra blades. Individual blades are 20 per blade but the bad thing is the shipping cost will still be 20.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way I have verified and after a 100+ mile drive my bumper only had a real light dusting of dirt, much less then usual so I will say the way that I having the fins installed has reduced buildup on the bumper.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you click the photos it should open them up into my photobucket. I know when I click them they open up larger then will fit my screen.

It's this mac book pro, I'm fairly new to macs and cant't figure out how to adjust the setting for this feature, I tried on the windows pc and they opened up fine:dunno:

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's this mac book pro, I'm fairly new to macs and cant't figure out how to adjust the setting for this feature, I tried on the windows pc and they opened up fine:dunno:

I sent them in the email to you. You and one other member were contemplating adding the 2 extra blades. I am content with the 4 on mine.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to install one of the first sets in July! Pics and videos will arrive shortly after. What do you think of the Vortex Generator fins? These are on the Mitsubishi Evo. I was wondering *** these things did.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are who I think you are yes you have the original set that I made before I was even able to fully install them on my car. Definitely post up some photos. I have sold 15 or more sets already and I only have received installed photos from one person. They did get a positive reaction from a couple members at Tatertoga which is good because those were the first members to see them installed on my car.

I never knew the name of those fins your talking about but they are used on aircraft wings and fuselages. They would not look good on a viper because of the rounded roofs. They look decent on squared off roofs such as the subarus and evos.

A vortex generator is an aerodynamic surface, consisting of a small vane or bump that creates a vortex.[1][2] Vortex generators can be found on many devices, but the term is most often used in aircraft design.[1]

Vortex generators delay flow separation and aerodynamic stalling; they improve the effectiveness of control surfaces[2] (e.g., Embraer 170 and Symphony SA-160). For swept-wing transonic designs, they alleviate potential shock-stall problems (e.g., Harrier, Blackburn Buccaneer, Gloster Javelin).

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, yes that is me. They will look great on my car, I can't wait!

Yeah, I think it would look strange on our cars. I may have to do some testing... on the autobahn. haha

I was reading this: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/factsheets/Micro-VG.html

It appears it is to help increase lift when placed on top of airplane wings... so for a sports car, wouldn't you want these underneath your car? I guess that is what your product is only larger size. I wonder if you can put microVG underneath the car to reduce lift.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not necessarily. The way that you mount these little blades makes all the difference. The don't mount straight front to back. They mount on angles to keep the air moving straight and follow the curve of the window instead of going straight off the back of the roof. I don't believe they can generate any sort of lift on a vehicle. An airplane wing's design is completely different in shape and principle then a car.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the way cars are designed they create lift just like a wing. Generally, the rear of the car has higher ground clearance than the front to help reduce this lifting effect. I get you now, it kind of keeps the air in contact with the body, this would be good to keep the air flow down to the lip spoiler of the GTS instead of just flying out. I love that lip.... that is why I have my Viper... the rear is soooo nice and smooth and oooooooooh yeah.

I'm sure I could do some tests with some "whisker" things they put on cars in wind tunnels and use a GoPro to to view as I go 150mph down the autobahn (if the AF sends me to Germany, PLEASE!)

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 sets remaining. This will be my last run. I will be able to make replacement blades for those who have purchased a set from me in case one of your blades get damaged and I will do another run if I get a minimum of 5 people to buy them so for now 10 remaining with no intentions of a 3rd run.

The video below shows some good shots of the blades installed around the 1 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP5Y6SbaKh4

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just rattle can them satin black, is that cool to do? I may not have time to powder coat. ( I can do that later)